Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Big Brother Britain - When The Voices Call Your Name!

Big Brother Britain - When The Voices Call Your Name!

Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big Brother Britain - When The Voices Call Your Name!

I was reading an article just now - see link below and wondered what some of you potential escapees who are still in the UK thought of it?

Of course I'm familiar with CCTV cameras, but not ones that 'shout at you'. Is the writer of this article for real? I think she is totally exaggerating about life here

Has Heather Mallick ever been to the UK?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_.../20070416.html
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:08 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Brother Britain - When The Voices Call Your Name!

'Britian is a very shabby place these days' etc, etc, who the hell is she to say that all of Britain is like that, cheeky cow.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Love the quote the the North of England is a No Go area - maybe that is why no one is coming to buy my house

Gaynor
x
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:33 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66
'Britian is a very shabby place these days' etc, etc, who the hell is she to say that all of Britain is like that, cheeky cow.
Uh, informed, perhaps ? 80% of it is a shabby run-down mess strewn with dog crap, shuttered up shop fronts, graffiti, poverty housing, fast food wrappers, populated by meaningless wastes of skin chav masses. The other 20% is nice but you'd not want to live there. Trust me, I tried. Twice.

Canada's ratio may mean you'd want to live in 80% of it, but at least the 20% hospitable areas are far nicer (if duller) than the average Euro-hovel. I also admit that the hovels of the GTA, Van's Downtown Eastside, and Montreal's slumlands are as good a dirty hole as anything Europe has to offer.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Apr 17th 2007 at 1:37 am.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66

I know, she completely ran the UK down! Stupid woman talking out of her ar*e!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:00 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Love the quote the the North of England is a No Go area - maybe that is why no one is coming to buy my house

Gaynor
x

Ohh,
Still nothing?? It will happen... Promise.
Charlie
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch

:rofl
Gaynor
x

I know what you are going through, it's really a stressful and miserable time selling houses.
Hope you get some luck real soon.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:52 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I was reading an article just now - see link below and wondered what some of you potential escapees who are still in the UK thought of it?

Of course I'm familiar with CCTV cameras, but not ones that 'shout at you'. Is the writer of this article for real? I think she is totally exaggerating about life here

Has Heather Mallick ever been to the UK?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_.../20070416.html
LOL that article is ridiculous!! Right down to the guessed shout outs of these CCTVs. Ok, so yes, they may be piloting them and they may be apparently welcomed by the mass populace of that area (yeah right - did they ask anyone at all???) but how dare she try to discredit a nation so easily and ok, hello, has she not heard of any our great achievements since the 1811 thingy?

I am sure it was well intentioned but anyone reading that will think we live in some kind of Children of Men movie - but with children.... or chavs maybe (which, btw Heather, doesn't stand for council house and violent you daft mare - well didn't when I left the country anyway!!)
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ki76
or chavs maybe (which, btw Heather, doesn't stand for council house and violent you daft mare - well didn't when I left the country anyway!!)

So could you tell us that had never heard the term before finding this site what "chav" actually means?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

moonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nicemoonraker is just really nice

I've always understood it to be a reference to a certain taste in mass market gold jewellery and branded clothes amoungst parts of the British working class.

Chav - CHeap And Vulgar.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:16 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
So could you tell us that had never heard the term before finding this site what "chav" actually means?
Hehe love the Avator
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bleech
Hehe love the Avator
Thanks.
Do you think Rich007 will appreciate?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:38 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Well last I heard it was actually something that um, disposed people of an alternative lifestyle, historically used to call their little ones and then it got ripped off by the locals of Kent and turned into the name that is now synonymous with mass Burberry wearers and those with a predisposition for far too much naff gold jewellery LOL
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ki76
Well last I heard it was actually something that um, disposed people of an alternative lifestyle, historically used to call their little ones and then it got ripped off by the locals of Kent and turned into the name that is now synonymous with mass Burberry wearers and those with a predisposition for far too much naff gold jewellery LOL

I'm from Liverpool and left 44 years ago all this means nothing to me (I've obviously lead a sheltered life).
So now I'm even more confused.

Last edited by Steve_P; Apr 18th 2007 at 11:05 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:04 pm
Bright light!!

I'm from Liverpool and left 44 years ago all this means nothing to me.
So now I'm even more confused.
it's not a dead cert but the Romany's used to call their children a variation of chav and somewhere along the way it got transferred from them to these people who like to wear naff designer clothes (there is of course the supposition that it was taken from the Romany's and transferred as a derrogatory term to other travellers or people of a 'lower class' by snobbish idiots who know no better) - I did also hear that this usage originated in Kent... does that help a bit more??

Howver, given that the queen of chavs is apparently Jordan and she is mighty rich because of it maybe it's now no longer a derrogatory term but a label to be proud of???? Depends on your view or Jordan and Daniella Westbrook

Last edited by Tiffin Tease; Apr 18th 2007 at 11:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.