Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bi-curious M looking for answers

Bi-curious M looking for answers

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:08 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bi-curious M looking for answers

Etymological musing of the day: when did sixty, seventy, eighty become common words in English? A few hundred years ago, we'd have three score, three-score-and-ten, four score... at some point those were demoted to "poetic" alternatives to the regular numbers, but it's effectively the same construction as quatre-vingts or soixante-dix. Might have to look that one up later...

Oh, and I completely agree with biweekly/fortnightly, bimonthly/every other month, etc. Silly and totally confusing. Do Quebecois use "quinzaine" or is that restricted to French French?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 7:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Etymological musing of the day: when did sixty, seventy, eighty become common words in English? A few hundred years ago, we'd have three score, three-score-and-ten, four score... at some point those were demoted to "poetic" alternatives to the regular numbers, but it's effectively the same construction as quatre-vingts or soixante-dix. Might have to look that one up later...

Oh, and I completely agree with biweekly/fortnightly, bimonthly/every other month, etc. Silly and totally confusing. Do Quebecois use "quinzaine" or is that restricted to French French?
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=seventy
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:03 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
well, that was an interesting diversion. It seems score (twenty) is related to the practice of using tally marks for every 20 sheep; Old French vint has the same origins so, indeed, the practice of counting by 20s (quatre vingts = four score) is vaguely related, although it doesn't appear ever to have been the dominant form in English.

Sadly, the Old English forms that would be the modern Eleventy and Twelvety (for 110 and 120) went out of fashion 1200 years or so ago, although they did once really exist. A loss to the lexicon. Boo.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:06 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I know that many elderly people in the east of Scotland swear by that convention too. My late grandad would insist that "half-six" was half past five.
Having spent 6 years in Aberdeen I never could figure out what "the back o' five" meant, it was either before five o'clock or before six o'clock...

Edit: Just googled it, apparently it means just after five. I really was clueless.

Last edited by BTJ; Jul 2nd 2013 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:09 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
Having spent 6 years in Aberdeen I never could figure out what "the back o' five" meant, it was either before five o'clock or before six o'clock...
No, the back of five is just after five... I use it to mean any time from 5 o'clock to about 10 past.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

No, the back of five is just after five... I use it to mean any time from 5 o'clock to about 10 past.
Is that sort of like a "gentleman's half an hour" just with Scotch people?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Is that sort of like a "gentleman's half an hour" just with Scotch people?
Not at all, it's a useful term for a specific 10 minute period of the hour.

- Och, Wullie, will ye be gaein' to the pub the nicht?

- I will that, Erchie, but I'm awa' hame for my tea first. I'll be doon there at the back o' seevin.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:01 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Is that an Aberdonian expression or is it used more widely?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:29 am
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Shard
Is that an Aberdonian expression or is it used more widely?
I'm not from Aberdeen, it's pretty common usage. Surely some English folk must use "the back of..." to indicate just after the hour?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:54 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Switzerland they use septante, huitante, nonante which simplifies things a bit. I haven't heard anyone count in Quebec French for yonks but it seems to me that they have two of those expressions but not the third, maybe they go septant, huitant, quatre-vingt-dix? It doesn't matter because everyone in Quebec who can count to high numbers speaks English anyway.
I've never heard those words used in QC but I haven't talked to everyone.

I've given up using fortnight.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Do none of you use Acadian French? That's even more fun! Here in Yarmouth they speak English - of sorts. But on one side they speak one type of Acadian French and on the other side it is different again.
They don't understand the Quebecois and the Quebecois don't understand them!
As for me, having grown up in France, they could be speaking double dutch for all the sense it makes!!!

They say huitante!!!!

But the Belgians say Octante!!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:51 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Do none of you use Acadian French? That's even more fun! Here in Yarmouth they speak English - of sorts. But on one side they speak one type of Acadian French and on the other side it is different again.
They don't understand the Quebecois and the Quebecois don't understand them!
As for me, having grown up in France, they could be speaking double dutch for all the sense it makes!!!

They say huitante!!!!

My missus is quebecoise. She struggles with Acadians.

My stepson now lives in Chicoutimi. Even Acadians would struggle with them.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 12:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They say huitante!!!!
soixante-dix, huitante, quatre-vingt-dix? I knew there was oddness with the numbers over there but that's really tongue twisting.

Perhaps that's Dutch.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 3:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
soixante-dix, huitante, quatre-vingt-dix? I knew there was oddness with the numbers over there but that's really tongue twisting.

Perhaps that's Dutch.
Octante sounds more like something Jings would say to his French auntie.

Talking of France... <waves from Normandy>.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 3:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Octante sounds more like something Jings would say to his French auntie.

Talking of France... <waves from Normandy>.
<ponders bitterly the distance from here to quality cheese>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.