Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Beware the snow police

Beware the snow police

Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beware the snow police

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/302005

I went out late yesterday and over 48 hours after the bad storm at least 5 houses hadn't shovelled the snow. I live in a quiet road so not many people are walking past so it stays as it is. If I had on with a pushchair it would have been a real nightmare to get down, and I can't even walk on the road as it hasn't been cleared.

It is snowing now as we speak when will this end
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:52 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beware the snow police

Originally Posted by babsi

I went out late yesterday and over 48 hours after the bad storm at least 5 houses hadn't shovelled the snow. I live in a quiet road so not many people are walking past so it stays as it is. If I had on with a pushchair it would have been a real nightmare to get down, and I can't even walk on the road as it hasn't been cleared.

This is something that I haven't been able to quite understand yet. If you can't dump the snow on the street or in front of your neighbour's pavement, where are you supposed to put it? In your living room?

Cheers,
LHK
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

This week has been fun I just got back in from shoveling I'm going to have arms like Popeye. My OH has been away all week (he's in California today) so I've had to take my son to school and drag my baby girl with me on the TTC there was no way I could get a stroller through the snow, luckily little woman still fits in the Baby Bjorn but she's not exactly a delicate little flower. Sorry moan over.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

when will this end
Early May, if we're lucky.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe a newspaper article like that doesn't mention people physically incapable of clearing snow - and that includes most of us when it's deep enough - or those that can't afford to spend $1000 plus on a good snowblower.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can't believe a newspaper article like that doesn't mention people physically incapable of clearing snow - and that includes most of us when it's deep enough - or those that can't afford to spend $1000 plus on a good snowblower.
On the streets on which I lived in Toronto the typical lot was 22' wide (that's 111 degrees Kelvin). Those houses occupied by people who had real physical disabilities had their sidewalks cleared by neighbours; I did it for a woman who lived nearby who had a child with Down's syndrome thinking she had enough to cope with. The houses where the snow was not cleared did not belong to people who didn't have the strength to cope with the depth, after all 3' of sidewalk by 22' of lot should not tax the strength of a geriatric. No, they belonged to the ugly, unpleasant, tasteless people, the Lexus owners. I generally don't like Ontario's fetish for legislation but this is a case where it wouldn't break my heart to see the fines applied.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
On the streets on which I lived in Toronto the typical lot was 22' wide (that's 111 degrees Kelvin).
Not wishing to be pedantic, but the correct term is 111 Kelvin.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on the amount and type of snow. I had two winters where I did the front of the drive, a path from the garage to the front to enable me to get my bike out and the sidewalk. The city actually does the sidewalk here, but only one side and it's across the road.

Last December the best I could do was a short pathway from the steps to the street...that involved digging nearly three feet deep and lifting that snow shoulder height on top of other snow, making a trench. Each new ploughing filled the gap and it was as much as I could do to dig it out again.

Fat chance of doing the sidewalk

There are plenty of photos posted on these threads of snow that IS impossible to clear whether one is geriatric or fit.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised you only get 12 hours (here it's 48), but having had to walk home from the bus stop to the house at -40 or below I can certainly agree that it's good to have some way to encourage people to clear up the snow. It's one time I've missed the rapacious demand for taxes in the UK, as many of the houses around here are owned by 'investors' who live in other provinces and if Gordon Brown was in charge he'd have people out fining them every 48 hours that their pavements aren't cleared.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Fat chance of doing the sidewalk
If it's really impossible to shovel the sidewalk then, to my mind, that's not a feasible place to have a city. People stranded in such places would do well to consider Mexico.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:05 am
Oscar nominated

If it's really impossible to shovel the sidewalk then, to my mind, that's not a feasible place to have a city. People stranded in such places would do well to consider Mexico.
A couple of Moncton scenes from December. Impossible to clear with a shovel, I'm sure you'll agree. But Moncton seems to function perfectly well as a city...even though it's more of a town to me.

Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of Moncton scenes from December. Impossible to clear with a shovel, I'm sure you'll agree. But Moncton seems to function perfectly well as a city...even though it's more of a town to me.
That puts things into perspective I'm such a pussy.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

http://usera.imagecave.com/LadyCibelle/snow.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/LadyCibelle/snow2.JPG
Good grief. A bit pointless innit? What can you do there that you can't do in Juarez?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

On the streets on which I lived in Toronto the typical lot was 22' wide (that's 111 degrees Kelvin). Those houses occupied by people who had real physical disabilities had their sidewalks cleared by neighbours; I did it for a woman who lived nearby who had a child with Down's syndrome thinking she had enough to cope with. The houses where the snow was not cleared did not belong to people who didn't have the strength to cope with the depth, after all 3' of sidewalk by 22' of lot should not tax the strength of a geriatric. No, they belonged to the ugly, unpleasant, tasteless people, the Lexus owners. I generally don't like Ontario's fetish for legislation but this is a case where it wouldn't break my heart to see the fines applied.
Glad i left my Lexus in the UK.
It seems that in Kelowna all the people seen shovelling sidewalks are retired elderly ones yet as you say some of the young fit ones just cannot be bothered.
I was at a young couples house the other day and as i got out of the truck a rather cross looking elderly woman was complaining as they hadn't cleared the sidewalk and she was right it was very slippery. I mentioned it to the lady of the house and she said, "is it my responsibility then"
Clearly her chain smoking boyfriend/partner was too engrossed with the internet to worry about it.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:55 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

http://usera.imagecave.com/LadyCibelle/snow.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/LadyCibelle/snow2.JPG

That's just silly! Silly snow!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.