Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best kit to keep warm in?

Best kit to keep warm in?

Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best kit to keep warm in?

In Vancouver you just need an umbrella.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I know it hasn't hit the real cold temps yet but I bought some T-Max Heat thermals - bottoms and tops and I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. I went out sledging in -15 for 2 hours with my son with them on under my jeans, got my jeans soaking and I was as warm as toast. Also wore them on Halloween. They are great because they also manage to stop you sweating too.

I know you asked about coats etc but seriously these thermals are good....
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:31 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jericho
I used to go out (in Edmonton) with a t-shirt, hoody, and regular winter coat and I was fine.

I know -30 sounds scary, but it isn't that bad, and it doesn't last for weeks anyway.
I agree, for me as long as my head and feet are warm, the rest of me pretty much follows suit

I wear either a hoodie, or just a dickies hoodie jacket, with a nice warm toque and gloves.

http://www.dickies.ca/mens-clothing/...cket-D3053.jsp
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Although the arctic gear is mostly for when I spend all day on the ice fishing, or if I have to walk across town when it's -35, it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Quite a few people here take a snowmobile suit or insulated coveralls and a pair of boots and keep them in the car during winter in case of a breakdown in the country, as well as a little kit with some candles and lighters and chocolate bars.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:38 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

I definitely have a winter kit in the back of the car with a blanket, etc
Old Nov 4th 2012, 9:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The label says Northern Spirit. It belonged to my wife's ex and I've been wearing it since winter 2004.

A three in one jacket. The outer piece is a nice windbreaker. The inner one good for keeping warm in late fall. But I have something suitable for those conditions so I keep the two parts zipped together.

It feels heavy when taking off the hanger but not bulky at all. Good for walking, waiting, cycling and clearing snow.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Wouldn't be right if I didn't plug Eddie Bauer.
Have a look at Eddiebauer.com
Had a look and they make some nice stuff... not stupid money, either. I will have to find a local stockist and try one on.

Originally Posted by MarkG
I wear a sweatshirt and a $100 coat I bought from Marks Work Wearhouse in a sale a few winters ago; I've worn that while shovelling snow at -44C with 10 degrees of wind chill on top, and if anything it was too warm.
Can you remember what brand it was? We have a couple of those stores nearby (here it's called L'equiper or something).

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I know it hasn't hit the real cold temps yet but I bought some T-Max Heat thermals - bottoms and tops and I think they are the best thing since sliced bread.
I know you asked about coats etc but seriously these thermals are good....
I do have a pair of men's tights for when it's really chilly! They do make a big difference.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
The label says Northern Spirit. It belonged to my wife's ex and I've been wearing it since winter 2004.
Looks like they've gone out of business, but thanks for the tip.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:34 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with the comment about army surplus. My missus said her winter gear, including boots, was very warm (ditto sleeping bag).

It gets cold here but not horribly. I can only remember a few days below -30 (not including wind chill). I generally get by with felt-lined boots, long-johns plus jeans, or lined snow pants on their own, T-shirt, some sort of shirt and my Columbia ski jacket. I don't often wear a sweater. I wear a stupid toque with pigtails. I do have a balaclava but the only time I wore it was when the risk of frostbite was high. Mittens are certainly better than gloves but are not always practical. I have ski mittens and wool mittens and trigger mittens, the second two hand-knitted in Newfoundland (they are very warm). I do a lot of DIY in my unheated garage even in mid-winter. You can't wear mittens. I have workman's gloves from Home Depot. Not perfect but better than nothing.

Has anyone told the Hungarians their country has been moved?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:38 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When we get a cold snap in Sask it can stay below -30 for a couple of weeks, and that can happen 2 or even 3 times during the winter. It doesn't always happen, but it can. There's a lot to be said for staying inside and watching movies sometimes. Everyone learns how to dress for the weather according not only to the climate and what they have to do, but their personal tolerance to cold.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It gets cold here but not horribly. I can only remember a few days below -30
Funny how we adjust so that -30 doesn't seem horribly cold.

I'd never heard of trigger mittens before. They look like alien clothing.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Funny how we adjust so that -30 doesn't seem horribly cold.

I'd never heard of trigger mittens before. They look like alien clothing.
Very useful if you are a smoker.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:38 pm
Blonde, but not really.

Joolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the roughJoolschweetie is a jewel in the rough

'Rab' Jackets are amazing...they were a small brand from my neck of the woods (Sheffield) initially designed for hiking & climbing that made it big. They make amazing, really lightweight down-filled heavy duty jackets.

Not really needed it over here yet as last winter was pretty mild but it's been good for several trips to Norway with -20 and below. Just dug it out the wardrobe in the hopes of wearing it soon

I believe they sell them over here too, and you can order them online.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by geedee
Had a look and they make some nice stuff... not stupid money, either. I will have to find a local stockist and try one on.

Can you remember what brand it was? We have a couple of those stores nearby (here it's called L'equiper or something).

I do have a pair of men's tights for when it's really chilly! They do make a big difference.

Looks like they've gone out of business, but thanks for the tip.
Have a look at allsales.ca
There are lots of warehouse sales around Montreal esp. this time of year for the winter gear.
I haven't ordered from them but thelasthunt.com have brand name reduced outerwear too.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallperson
Have a look at allsales.ca
There are lots of warehouse sales around Montreal esp. this time of year for the winter gear.
I haven't ordered from them but thelasthunt.com have brand name reduced outerwear too.
Thanks a lot for those links... very useful, cheers!
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:12 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

I've skied most of my life (although the coldest I've skied is -17 actual). Columbia (with layers!) has been warm and durable for me.

The US army has a rating system for layers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...lothing_System

Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.