Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes

Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes

After years of entreaties denied (London garden was postage-stamp sized) we have promised the children a dog in Calgary. My heart inclines me to offer a home to a rescue dog... but each member of the family apparently holds a strong view as to which breed would be most desirable.

In truth I have always wanted another Rhodesian Ridgeback (had a super, super specimen when living in southern Africa) or long-haired German Shepherd (childhood dog in Wales). My OH wants a big dog and favours the Golden Retriever. My daughter dreams of an Akita or similar blue-eyed husky type while the sons have come up with a shortlist of about 15 breeds apiece... we are all agreed however that very small lapdog types and snappy, yappy types are not for us.

Ideally our family dog would be medium to large, with an equable temperament. He will get a daily 1 hr walk at least - but should be able to join us on mountain hikes.

And a supplementary question - what do you do if there's snow, ice, temperatures of -30 or more and your large dog needs exercise?

So over to the Rocky Mountain branch of this great BE community: What do you have? What would you recommend?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes

Originally Posted by newshoney
So over to the Rocky Mountain branch of this great BE community: What do you have? What would you recommend?
We have a Welsh Springer Spaniel (hence the avatar!), and I would recommend a Springer from what you've said. Loads of energy and love very long walks, but great family dogs.

Golden retrievers don't have as much stamina and are very prone to hip problems so I wouldn't recommend them - fine for an hours walk a day, but wouldn't cope with regular hikes as well. Much as I love them (our last dog was a GR), I don't think they're ideal for a more active family.

Dalmatians have endless stamina too, and are very high energy. Might be worth doing one of the online 'which dog breed is for me' questionnaires and seeing what it comes up with - this one is good. http://www.petplanet.co.uk/select_a_breed.asp

And you can still get a rescue even if you decide you want a certain breed - I'm assuming it's the same in Canada but here there are breed specific rescues i.e. Labrador Rescue, so you could rehome a dog of the breed you prefer.

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:21 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

After years of entreaties denied (London garden was postage-stamp sized) we have promised the children a dog in Calgary. My heart inclines me to offer a home to a rescue dog... but each member of the family apparently holds a strong view as to which breed would be most desirable.

In truth I have always wanted another Rhodesian Ridgeback (had a super, super specimen when living in southern Africa) or long-haired German Shepherd (childhood dog in Wales). My OH wants a big dog and favours the Golden Retriever. My daughter dreams of an Akita or similar blue-eyed husky type while the sons have come up with a shortlist of about 15 breeds apiece... we are all agreed however that very small lapdog types and snappy, yappy types are not for us.

Ideally our family dog would be medium to large, with an equable temperament. He will get a daily 1 hr walk at least - but should be able to join us on mountain hikes.

And a supplementary question - what do you do if there's snow, ice, temperatures of -30 or more and your large dog needs exercise?

We have a Tibetan Terrier, great for the snow, as a young dog will have no problem participating in Hikes etc, not yappy, but only 16 inches tall.

I would NOT advice anyone to have an Akita and would think twice about Huskies too (although I love them). Temperament CAN be an issue with all those breeds.

My choice? Bernese Mountain Dog, Newfie or similar.

Dont forget Goldies have a (very) high tendency towards hip dysplasia. (OK CO beat me to that one)
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Beck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud of

Hi there

Will be getting a couple of dogs myself with same criteria so may be able to help. Have to agree with comment re retrievers. Lovely breed but hips are major issue. German Shepherds are good all round breeds but can also have hip probs. Your best bet truly is a cross breed particulary a collie cross which has high energy, loving nature and highly intelligent. Any cross breed is less likely to be inter breed and can avoid the medical flaws associated with pure breeds. I am by no means saying that all pure breeds are inter bred before everyone kicks off!!! My husband is determined to get a sled dog and prob an Alaskan Malamute. They are stunning but such hard work. Most don't return if you let them off the lead. They will only come back to you if it's worth it to them! They also are designed to pull sleds so really should be used as such. Outdoors living is also preferable to them.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
We have a Tibetan Terrier, great for the snow, as a young dog will have no problem participating in Hikes etc, not yappy, but only 16 inches tall.

I would NOT advice anyone to have an Akita and would think twice about Huskies too (although I love them). Temperament CAN be an issue with all those breeds.

My choice? Bernese Mountain Dog, Newfie or similar.

Dont forget Goldies have a (very) high tendency towards hip dysplasia. (OK CO beat me to that one)
What he said ^^^^^^

I would imagine that any dog will be able to keep up with you.

We have had two Akitas and found them very aloof, even with the family.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:46 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Newfoundland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_%28dog%29

If I had the money (and didn't already have my dog) I would seriously considor this type. "It is known to be one of the kindest and gentlest dogs, if not the very best and gentlest dog of all when it comes to children"
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We thought of an Akita, then I was advised what their really like and I didn't really want a dog that could possibly see the neighbours ankle biters as lunch so shelved that idea.

Best thing to do is go on breed specific forums - lots of people on here have a purebred dog and love that breed for whatever reason and will be biased - like me, I don't understand why anyone would consider anything but a chow(seriously just joking, chows are not for tha faint hearted - like Akita's, dalmations, huskies, weims - all difficult breeds in there own ways).

If you get a breed that has lots of fluff then it won't want to go too far in the hot summers - Henry gets really slow and sniffy this time of year (temps +25 but is always up for a walk or ride in the car). BUT it will still want to go out when it's blizzarding at -40! (Some fluffy breeds don't do well if shaved for the summer.)

I personally would never have a lab/golden as we have just had too many run ins with them - overbred and not always in the best ways, just because they are popular - a real shame. From your list I would pick the GS I think. have fun in choosing the right pupster for you.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In defense of labs ...

This one (pure bred) will do all that newshoney is looking for. She is perfectly happy running up and down mountains. As she has to be the point and the rearguard on all our trips she must climb five or six times as many as we do.

By nature she is as soft and gentle as you could hope for, if a bit daft at times. She bravely chases squirrels out of our yard and sensibly comes and tells us when there is anything bigger about.

No reputable breeder will work with dogs with a history of hip problems so if you choose carefully this should not be an issue.

Others have mentioned some great dogs, but don't rule out a lab.
Attached Thumbnails Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes-2006-sep-038.jpg  
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 3:24 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for a Collie Cross myself. Smart as anything and can run all day. Do have a tendency to nip at the ankles, but only when it's time for your milking.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
I'd go for a Collie Cross myself. Smart as anything and can run all day. Do have a tendency to nip at the ankles, but only when it's time for your milking.
Totally agree (well, apart from the nipping at ankles bit!)

Ours is 75% border collie and 25% chow (mother is a collie, father collie x chow) and he's fantastic...the best dog I've ever owned and I've also had a lab, several JRTs and a springer-x (since childhood! I don't go through dogs especially quickly ) My husband had a GSD when I met him, who was also a lovely dog, but she developed severe hip dysplasia at a relatively young age (she was a rescue dog - abuse case - so had probably originated from a puppy farm )

Here is "Rocky" as a pup:

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Beck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud ofBeck77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Totally agree (well, apart from the nipping at ankles bit!)

Ours is 75% border collie and 25% chow (mother is a collie, father collie x chow) and he's fantastic...the best dog I've ever owned and I've also had a lab, several JRTs and a springer-x (since childhood! I don't go through dogs especially quickly ) My husband had a GSD when I met him, who was also a lovely dog, but she developed severe hip dysplasia at a relatively young age (she was a rescue dog - abuse case - so had probably originated from a puppy farm )

Here is "Rocky" as a pup: http://www.lazydogacres.com/images/rocky19wksLowRes.JPG

OMG! Seriously, how cute is your dog! Want one!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Australian Shepherd.

http://deafenedinontario.blogspot.co...ew-camera.html

2nd picture
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:24 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Got an Alaskan Malamute. He's at his happiest when it's -40 and wading through waist high snow. When it gets really cold he just rolls up in a ball and slowly disappears under a mound of snow. They've got a great temperament, good with kids, better than huskys. Can't let him off a leash though, he buggers off and can usually be found at the local nursery laying on his back having his belly rubbed by the shoppers there.
Attached Thumbnails Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes-dsc05344.jpg   Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes-dsc05071.jpg   Best dog breeds for Rocky Mountain hikes-dsc04982.jpg  
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about

The BEST breed of dog, without question (and I may be a little biased here...) is the flatcoated retriever. There's a breeder in Calgary and another in Ft McLeod, and you won't run into too many other flatcoats. When you do, you'll probably make a friend for life!

The above would be a pup of about 4 months. Puppyhood lasts 3 years or so, and after that long they think "why change now?" and are thus lunatics for life!

That would be an adult.

For more pics, go to the Flickr website and search for the flatcoat group. Our boy is on there. Flatcoats, unlike labs, have never suffered a split between working and show strains, and they aren't overbred. They are high-energy, happy nutcases with an independent spirit but they LOVE their people.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

What beautiful dogs you all have! I'm a soppy type who could easily fall for any of the ones you've recommended. I'd never heard of a collie/chow cross before and that pup is just gorgeous. However, out of curiosity I logged onto do that pet test and this is what it recommended for me:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/dog_breed...e.asp?dbid=136

Only trouble is I've never heard of this breed before! And do they exist in western Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.