Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best City in the World

Best City in the World

Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:09 am
  #121  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
I have nothing against Vancouver. From you post it sounds nice, a bit like Bournemouth.

I just don't think " I am right cos i'm a copper" really works as an argument.
?
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:09 am
  #122  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

here this should give one a chuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqn0seUyPDg
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:41 am
  #123  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
ducktastic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Cheltenham, UK was Vancouver, BC
Posts: 704
ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
here this should give one a chuckle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqn0seUyPDg
ducktastic is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:19 am
  #124  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 8
jonl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
I don't need any quarter-backing from the likes of you who make an habit of not reading posts properly and completely fail to catch the argument at all.

I have grown tired of his musings over the past 2 years or so....... end of

and as for factually inacurate, i noted that i was attempting to make a point not debate green space but ok then if must, as there is nowt on the telly:

Vancouver

Has 11 miles of beach that skirt the city, see Locrano Beach, Spanish Banks and Kits beach amongst others. And contrary to what JamesM says, they are nice beaches, not tropical nice, but nice all the same.

Stanley Park - at 404.9 hectare is Vancouver's biggest urban park that boosts two beaches (first and second) and is surrounded by ocean and Vancouver's famous seawall of about 15 miles (will be more when it hooks up with the rest of teh water front) links ,many smaller parks such as coal harbour and David Lam Park.

Pacific Spirt park - one of the regions 22 regional parks - 763 hectares with 54 km of walking trails - wreck beach and acadia beach

Queen Elizzbeth Park - with its stunning gardens and views of the city.

there are numerous smaller parks, such as Cardero Park or Kitsilano Park that I won't bother going into. And many other natural green spaces beyond that link communities and are in line with the fundamentals of Vancouverism in that buildings be built with green space. future parks are planned such as north false creek and the linking of the Oly village.

Vandusen Botanical gardens and UBC Botanicl gardens, Vanier waterfront Park...Granville Island and false creek, coppers park

North Shore

Cates Park in the Cove at the base of Seymour and Indian arm...stunning

Seymour Demonstration forest 5200 hecteres

Lynn Canyon Valley and suspension bridge - some 600 or so acres (give capilano park a miss and head here instead) The canyon also links with the impressive Baden Powell trail which is 48 km from Deep Cove to the beautiful natural setting of Horseshoe Bay and Howe Sound.

Other parks include, waterfront park and moody ville park. Also see Ambleside park and its sea wall - under constuction to link the Spirt Trail along the north shore waterfront from Deep Cove to horseshoe bay about 50 km

Whytcliff park - stunning and rugged on the tip of howe sound..famous for diving and about 15 hectares

Also check out Lighthouse Park for stunning views of the city

the north shore also has 3 ski hills grouse, cypress or seymour....or snow show instead.

Burnaby

Central Park a 90 hectare urban park,

Burnaby lake and Deer Lake, Burnaby Mountain conservation area

Barnett Marine Park and many smaller parks...getting tired, sorry.

How about Golden Ears at 609 sqaure kms.

here is the list of the local regional parks:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...s/default.aspx
Just over an hour or so of vancouver is the majestic Manning Provincial Park at 70,000 hectares:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._C._M...rovincial_Park

yep, that is hell of lot of accessible and uncrowded green space............
Many thanks dboy. I'm considering a move to Vancouver and this kind of detailed information is very helpful
jonl is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:55 am
  #125  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 40
Turquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best City in the World

Thanks for coming back dboy!!!!!
Just got up to find out I have pent up anger, am jealous and apparently dbd stole my goat!! And also, I fancy him!! Oh baby, don't you know it!

I popped in to back up what you were saying, dboy- that dbd is a windup merchant.

Miss Golden Ears Park- little piece of heaven there.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2011 at 4:53 pm. Reason: Personal abuse removed
Turquoise is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:31 am
  #126  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
I don't need any quarter-backing from the likes of you who make an habit of not reading posts properly and completely fail to catch the argument at all.

I have grown tired of his musings over the past 2 years or so....... end of

and as for factually inacurate, i noted that i was attempting to make a point not debate green space but ok then if must, as there is nowt on the telly:

Vancouver

Has 11 miles of beach that skirt the city, see Locrano Beach, Spanish Banks and Kits beach amongst others. And contrary to what JamesM says, they are nice beaches, not tropical nice, but nice all the same.

Stanley Park - at 404.9 hectare is Vancouver's biggest urban park that boosts two beaches (first and second) and is surrounded by ocean and Vancouver's famous seawall of about 15 miles (will be more when it hooks up with the rest of teh water front) links ,many smaller parks such as coal harbour and David Lam Park.

Pacific Spirt park - one of the regions 22 regional parks - 763 hectares with 54 km of walking trails - wreck beach and acadia beach

Queen Elizzbeth Park - with its stunning gardens and views of the city.

there are numerous smaller parks, such as Cardero Park or Kitsilano Park that I won't bother going into. And many other natural green spaces beyond that link communities and are in line with the fundamentals of Vancouverism in that buildings be built with green space. future parks are planned such as north false creek and the linking of the Oly village.

Vandusen Botanical gardens and UBC Botanicl gardens, Vanier waterfront Park...Granville Island and false creek, coppers park

North Shore

Cates Park in the Cove at the base of Seymour and Indian arm...stunning

Seymour Demonstration forest 5200 hecteres

Lynn Canyon Valley and suspension bridge - some 600 or so acres (give capilano park a miss and head here instead) The canyon also links with the impressive Baden Powell trail which is 48 km from Deep Cove to the beautiful natural setting of Horseshoe Bay and Howe Sound.

Other parks include, waterfront park and moody ville park. Also see Ambleside park and its sea wall - under constuction to link the Spirt Trail along the north shore waterfront from Deep Cove to horseshoe bay about 50 km

Whytcliff park - stunning and rugged on the tip of howe sound..famous for diving and about 15 hectares

Also check out Lighthouse Park for stunning views of the city

the north shore also has 3 ski hills grouse, cypress or seymour....or snow show instead.

Burnaby

Central Park a 90 hectare urban park,

Burnaby lake and Deer Lake, Burnaby Mountain conservation area

Barnett Marine Park and many smaller parks...getting tired, sorry.

How about Golden Ears at 609 sqaure kms.

here is the list of the local regional parks:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...s/default.aspx
Just over an hour or so of vancouver is the majestic Manning Provincial Park at 70,000 hectares:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._C._M...rovincial_Park

yep, that is hell of lot of accessible and uncrowded green space............
Tantrum aside. Your claim, iirc, was that Vancouver has more "liveability" than London because it has more green space. I say it doesn't have more green space, and I note that you've not offered a comparison despite forgoing Canadain television for an evening. Since your argument rests on a dubious tenet, I think it fails.

That said, I'm told Vancouver is nice, if a bit damp, and I can believe that.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:08 pm
  #127  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Morris Park, New York
Posts: 298
immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
I wasn't terribly clear but I meant, there is less space for a shed rather than Canadian sheds being characteristically small.

Thought this was quite good.

Allotment Sheds
no need 4 coffee ontrain toda y - you just made me [shed] mornin'
immichaelcaine is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:16 pm
  #128  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Tantrum aside. Your claim, iirc, was that Vancouver has more "liveability" than London because it has more green space. I say it doesn't have more green space, and I note that you've not offered a comparison despite forgoing Canadain television for an evening. Since your argument rests on a dubious tenet, I think it fails.

That said, I'm told Vancouver is nice, if a bit damp, and I can believe that.
facts and figures speak for themselves.....take a look for your self google is amazing. My list was by no means exhaustive. All the green space and outdoors and only 2 million peeps. Golden ears alone is 609 sq Km stanley park is 400 hectares.....pacific spirit..... how many options are there for easy access to hunting, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, sailing, skiiing, etc within 20 mins of central London? For many this is a very significant quality of life factor and Vancouver is unique in this regard and is not to suggest it makes it better but offers a very different way of life. Vancouver itself has enough big city amenities, comparable to say Manchester.

And I was not suggesting that greeney alone was what made a place livable but to some the down-side of city living is isolation from such places and options. that is not the case here. There are of course many other factors many that come down to the whims of the individual.

While new york and London are great places to visit, i would not want to live in either long term. Others may for the very reasons that I don't want to.....

I was actually trying to offer reasons why these studies are useless and how certain places will do well while other great cities, such as London will not. I was also trying to offer my perspetive and what makes Vancity livable when compared to such great metropolises.

While I have never lived in London, I have been there often. My half brother lived there for a few years (now back in Manchester) he finds the access to the outdoors better from where he lives.

I was never arguing that Van is more livable than London, although i believe it is. But there are many from there here who would say it is, some who i work with.

How many times have you been to Vancouver?

Anyhow, your musings and failure to be objective are tiresome. Adios

Last edited by dboy; Feb 24th 2011 at 2:23 pm.
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:35 pm
  #129  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

some pics of vancover and the great outdoors....

Best City in the World-stanley_park_aerial.jpg

Best City in the World-stanley_park.jpg

Best City in the World-untitled.bmp
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:37 pm
  #130  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Best City in the World-4503375885_49ea6eb00d.jpg

Best City in the World-acadianorth.jpg

Best City in the World-images.jpg
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:40 pm
  #131  
no I aint
 
Flogger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The dog house
Posts: 2,091
Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World


Looks smashing
but have a look at this http://bournemouth.com/
Flogger is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:47 pm
  #132  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
facts and figures speak for themselves.....take a look for your self google is amazing. My list was by no means exhaustive. All the green space and outdoors and only 2 million peeps. Golden ears alone is 609 sq Km stanley park is 400 hectares.....pacific spirit..... how many options are there for easy access to hunting, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, sailing, skiiing, etc within 20 mins of central London? For many this is a very significant quality of life factor and Vancouver is unique in this regard and is not to suggest it makes it better but offers a very different way of life. Vancouver itself has enough big city amenities, comparable to say Manchester.

And I was not suggesting that greeney alone was what made a place livable but to some the down-side of city living is isolation from such places and options. that is not the case here. There are of course many other factors many that come down to the whims of the individual.

While new york and London are great places to visit, i would not want to live in either long term. Others may for the very reasons that I don't want to.....

I was actually trying to offer reasons why these studies are useless and how certain places will do well while other great cities, such as London will not. I was also trying to offer my perspetive and what makes Vancity livable when compared to such great metropolises.

While I have never lived in London, I have been there often. My half brother lived there for a few years (now back in Manchester) he finds the access to the outdoors better from where he lives.

I was never arguing that Van is more livable than London, although i believe it is. But there are many from there here who would say it is, some who i work with.

How many times have you been to Vancouver?

Anyhow, your musings and failure to be objective are tiresome. Adios
Greenbelt in the London boroughs amounts to 35,220 hectares. I've no way to compare that to the square kilograms of Stanley Park but it's 22% of the land in London.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ns/115809.aspx

I haven't found a number for Vancouver but take a butcher's at this:

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/current...zoning_map.pdf

what'd you say, 5% maybe?

Interestingly, that makes Vancouver markedly less green than NYC or Washington DC:

http://www.tpl.org/content_documents...andArea_08.pdf

Being objective is, of course, about coming up with the numbers. The use of the opinions of relatives is being subjective.

FWIW, the latest anecdotal opinion I've heard of Vancouver was from a resident who has in Ottawa for the past weekend "it's so cold here! Most of Canada's horrible, I'm going to stay in Vancouver for ever and learn to love the drizzle". She won't, of course.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:49 pm
  #133  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
some pics of vancover and the great outdoors....
Yes, Vancouver's surrounded by the great outdoors. I expect that's very nice. The same can be said for Bradford.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:50 pm
  #134  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,043
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
Anyhow, your musings and failure to be objective are tiresome. Adios
I have to admit, that made me laugh - thank you!
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:17 pm
  #135  
Lowering the tone
 
Jingsamichty's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Here and there
Posts: 6,422
Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

dbd33, will you please just do the christian thing and say "Yes, Vancouver is quite clearly the best city in the world and is miles better than smelly old London" before dboy has a stroke.
Jingsamichty is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.