Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best City in the World

Best City in the World

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:34 pm
  #31  
Lowering the tone
 
Jingsamichty's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Here and there
Posts: 6,425
Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Hyde Park, Green Park, St. James' Park, Kensington Gardens, Hampstead Heath, Hackney Marshes, Primrose Hill, are the first few green spaces that spring to mind. In this regard London is way better than Toronto, though probably not Vancouver due to it raining all the time there.
Wimbledon Common, Clapham Common, Wandsworth Common, Richmond Park, countless local parks... London is one of the 'greenest' major cities in the world in terms of parkland.
Jingsamichty is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:37 pm
  #32  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
Wimbledon Common, Clapham Common, Wandsworth Common, Richmond Park, countless local parks... London is one of the 'greenest' major cities in the world in terms of parkland.
Epping Forest. And it's year round green space. Most of Canada's city parks are covered in snow for half the year, you dare not venture into them for fear of tripping over some homeless person who's frozen to the ground.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:45 pm
  #33  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Hyde Park, Green Park, St. James' Park, Kensington Gardens, Hampstead Heath, Hackney Marshes, Primrose Hill, are the first few green spaces that spring to mind. In this regard London is way better than Toronto, though probably not Vancouver due to it raining all the time there.
suprised it took you so long to come along.......with your usual snide comments. I actually said 'uncrowded parks' and was trying to make a point about llivability not debate green spaces. But of course you are too jaded and completley incapable of offering anything that is constructive....

Where are the beaches then? and are these green spaces as 'accessible' from downtown as they are here and what about those big moutains and lakes 20 mins from downtown? Happen you should have read my comments. As for it raining all the time........BOLLOCKS

Last edited by dboy; Feb 23rd 2011 at 1:54 pm.
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:55 pm
  #34  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
suprised it took you so long to come along.......with your usual snide comments. I actually said 'uncrowded parks' and was trying to make a point about llivability not debate green spaces. But of course you are too jaded and completley incapable of offering aything that is constructive....you really need a life.

As for it raining all the time........BOLLOCKS
What would you say is the average bum density, human and canine in Toronto's Riverdale Park vs. London's Primrose Hill? I suggest that we've no way of knowing and that your use of "uncrowded" is ill considered.

I read your argument for liveablility, whatever that is, as depending on the amount of green space and was about to pack for Dublin (I trust you'll accept that it rains there. A lot. That's why it's green).
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:00 pm
  #35  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
Where are the beaches then? and are these green spaces as 'accessible' from downtown as they are here and what about those big moutains and lakes 20 mins from downtown? Happen you should have read my comments. As for it raining all the time........BOLLOCKS
Bloody cops, if they can't get after you for one thing, they'll pick another.

Now it's beaches, back to the earlier paragraph, the argument now goes:

"On the world stage Vancouver has done nothing to shape the world like dynamic cities such as London, Rome or New York and I struggle calling it world class yet. But as truly great such cities are, how truly livable are they? While they hit the mark on general vibrancy, culture, economy and world influence, where do they stand on day to day livability (depending on how one defines it of course)? How accessible are the beaches"

The beaches? In the grand scheme of things, who cares? A beach is nice but you have to be very close before it's practical to walk your dog on it each morning. For most people it might as well be down at Brighton.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:02 pm
  #36  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
What would you say is the average bum density, human and canine in Toronto's Riverdale Park vs. London's Primrose Hill? I suggest that we've no way of knowing and that your use of "uncrowded" is ill considered.

I read your argument for liveablility, whatever that is, as depending on the amount of green space and was about to pack for Dublin (I trust you'll accept that it rains there. A lot. That's why it's green).
like my mother says, ignore those that have nowt worth saying......
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:08 pm
  #37  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Bloody cops, if they can't get after you for one thing, they'll pick another.

Now it's beaches, back to the earlier paragraph, the argument now goes:

"On the world stage Vancouver has done nothing to shape the world like dynamic cities such as London, Rome or New York and I struggle calling it world class yet. But as truly great such cities are, how truly livable are they? While they hit the mark on general vibrancy, culture, economy and world influence, where do they stand on day to day livability (depending on how one defines it of course)? How accessible are the beaches"

The beaches? In the grand scheme of things, who cares? A beach is nice but you have to be very close before it's practical to walk your dog on it each morning. For most people it might as well be down at Brighton.
i give up .....Vancouver/Canada is crap, London is the only place worth living in and you are right about everything.......

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2011 at 4:40 pm. Reason: No need to resort to personal insults
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:11 pm
  #38  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dboy View Post
i give up .....Vancouver/Canada is crap, London is the only place worth living in and you are right about everything.......my god you are a sad individual aren't you
Try to be a bit more balanced. The thrust of my argument here is that London offers more green space and so more opportunity for outdoor activities than do most Canadian cities. This is doubly the case if one takes into account access, by public transit, to that green space. I don't know that Vancouver is crap and didn't say so, there's no need to get all teary and defensive about your current place of residence.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:15 pm
  #39  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Try to be a bit more balanced. The thrust of my argument here is that London offers more green space and so more opportunity for outdoor activities than do most Canadian cities. This is doubly the case if one takes into account access, by public transit, to that green space. I don't know that Vancouver is crap and didn't say so, there's no need to get all teary and defensive about your current place of residence.
Then why don't you say it that way <snip>. The study is not just Canadain cities and the point I was trying to make was the surveys are of of limited value as they focus on a narrow range of factors and some cities will invariably do well. If livablity is reduced to infrastucture, air qualiilty, commute times etc, places like London etc will not fair well. Accessible green spaces/beaches was used to make a point. And beaches are extremely accessible to the city core here, which is one of its unique features as is the outdoors in general. To some, my self included, that makes the place very livable. To those who crave larger cities with more culture/history will disagree.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2011 at 4:40 pm. Reason: No need to resort to personal insults
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:36 pm
  #40  
Lowering the tone
 
Jingsamichty's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Here and there
Posts: 6,425
Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

The top cities in the world, as ranked by a dry old body like The Economist, will be rather different to the top cities in the world as ranked by a body like Time Out.

When people research places to live, The Economist, I suggest, rarely figures. If you're happy in Vancouver, fine... don't get excited because the Economist validates that.
Jingsamichty is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:38 pm
  #41  
BE Forum Addict
 
rubberduckofdeath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,099
rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
The top cities in the world, as ranked by a dry old body like The Economist, will be rather different to the top cities in the world as ranked by a body like Time Out.

When people research places to live, The Economist, I suggest, rarely figures. If you're happy in Vancouver, fine... don't get excited because the Economist validates that.
Absolutely, well put.
rubberduckofdeath is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:52 pm
  #42  
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,054
dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
The top cities in the world, as ranked by a dry old body like The Economist, will be rather different to the top cities in the world as ranked by a body like Time Out.

When people research places to live, The Economist, I suggest, rarely figures. If you're happy in Vancouver, fine... don't get excited because the Economist validates that.
yes indeed.....that was my point in a much more long winded way
dboy is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:01 pm
  #43  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 40
Turquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best City in the World

Yup, dboy, you're right. I'm a Canadian living in outer London but I often pop in here as I find it interesting reading. I've been reading these threads long enough to know that dbd33 has a big hateon for Canada. I too, was wondering how long it would take him to pop in with his usual snide comments! Canada- backwards, mediocre, US light, frozen wasteland... oh, now there's dead bodies of homeless people strewn about our frozen parks! Yes, that used to be a real problem when I was living in Canada. Damn frozen bodies all over the place. Got sick and tired of tripping over them.

London itself is great and yes, there are a lot of lovely parks. When I first came here to teach, I lived and worked in Barking & Dagenham, Newham and in some areas in North and South London. Man, what sh!t holes- what an eye opener! Overcrowded, LITTER, CHAVS... we now live between Ilford and Romford- a step up but still, nothing to write home about (people at work refer to our area, Chadwell Heath, as Chavwell Heath, as they seem to be creeping into this area too). Lovely London and those nice parks (like Vancouver's beaches) might as well be in Brighton, also. My South African husband was shocked when he first started living here, also. He did some work in Tower Hamlets and Hackney and couldn't believe such crap holes existed so close to London. But unlike dbd33, I won't judge all of England, or it's people, by my conditions. Like a lot of other people, we are confined to where we live by jobs and money and your experiences are of course affected by these factors.
When I first came to England, I had the "grass is greener" syndrome. Now, while there are things I don't like about Canada, I realize now that there also is a lot to appreciate and would go home if not for hubby. I took hubby for his first trip to Canada (from Edmonton through Jasper, Banff, B.C.) and wow, so beautiful. British friends of mine live in Nova Scotia and love it; I would love to see the Maritimes one day also.
Anyways, loved dbd33's latest - try going to local parks around here, where us normal people have to live around London, and see all the hoodies with their staffies, drinking it up. I'll take the frozen bodies anyday!

Good advice from your mom, dboy!
Turquoise is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:22 pm
  #44  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Morris Park, New York
Posts: 298
immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best City in the World

i'was a little sad to not see the city of moncton on the list. i so enjoyed magnetic hill, seeing teh tidal boar and visitin teh moncton hospital (to observe the lunatics). swell city! awesome city!!!
immichaelcaine is offline  
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:41 pm
  #45  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 38,555
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best City in the World

Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
US light!
That's praise, not criticism.
dbd33 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.