Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best cities for migrants.

Best cities for migrants.

Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best cities for migrants.

Calgary, Waterloo, Ottawa, Vancouver, St. John's, and Richmond Hill, Ont., top the Conference Board of Canada ranking of the country's most attractive cities to migrants.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ntent=My+Yahoo
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best cities for migrants.

Originally Posted by Keith
Calgary, Waterloo, Ottawa, Vancouver, St. John's, and Richmond Hill, Ont., top the Conference Board of Canada ranking of the country's most attractive cities to migrants.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ntent=My+Yahoo
I bet there are just thousands of people in India and the Phillipines dreaming of Richmond Hill, Ont.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I bet there are just thousands of people in India and the Phillipines dreaming of Richmond Hill, Ont.
Judging by the ethnic makeup of north RH and the proliferation of take-out curry emporia, I think so too. The Philipines, not so much.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:47 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If only for the shagging potential.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
If only for the shagging potential.
Har har. I see the Dark Side got a C.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

“what migrants are looking for when choosing where to locate,”

What a load of bollox. If nothing else the threads here tend to demonstrate that we are all looking for slightly different things.

I dont think immigrants are really much different to those already living here in terms of what we want. However they are probably more likely to head to somewhere they have heard off, or which has a ready made cultural support network, or where they can land a job in their field.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:04 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by iaink
“what migrants are looking for when choosing where to locate,”

What a load of bollox. If nothing else the threads here tend to demonstrate that we are all looking for slightly different things.

I dont think immigrants are really much different to those already living here in terms of what we want. However they are probably more likely to head to somewhere they have heard off, or which has a ready made cultural support network, or where they can land a job in their field.
Agreed. Which is why half of them go to Toronto.

Note, however, that the G&M survey wasn't just talking about new immigrants, but rather "migrants, both Canadian and from abroad".
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Har har. I see the Dark Side got a C.
True. There are really only two reasons to move here. One is to find work with the Feds (generally not open to immigrants). The other is being posted to National Defence HQ.