Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Beer Fingerprinting? What Is The UK Coming To?

Beer Fingerprinting? What Is The UK Coming To?

Old Oct 25th 2006, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer Fingerprinting? What Is The UK Coming To?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh for god's sake. Please use language as if it had some value.
What are you screeching about? You must have the nerve of Old Nick himself to start lecturing people on use of language.

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike

Next time I go over will I have to leave my fingerprints behind? The very idea is creepy.
Whatever you do, don't hang around outside the pub trying to decide - you'll likely be deafened by the Mosquito :scared:

Last edited by Biiiiink; Oct 25th 2006 at 2:09 pm. Reason: Fixed stinky linky...
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

This is a slippery slope.

I'm all for punishing criminals, but what next... all establishments sign on to some kind of 'national fingerprint bank' (commercialy run, not by the government), paid for by the private sector. Why? It's like insurance. You don't insure the people you know are bad. You don't even give them a second chance.

The same thing's going to happen. One mistake and your fingerprints are 'black marks'.... forget about entering any 'privately-owned' establishment... for life maybe? This needs to be thought out properly by the government, and fast.

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I saw this on another UK forum so I figured I would share it here. The poster over there refered to it as a police state mentality and I think he does have a point.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Whatever you do, don't hang around outside the pub trying to decide - you'll likely be deafened by the Mosquito :scared:
Hey, you know what that company is doing now? Selling ringtones that teachers can't hear! How about that for lateral-thinking.

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by neill
all establishments sign on to some kind of 'national fingerprint bank' (commercialy run, not by the government), paid for by the private sector. Why? It's like insurance. You don't insure the people you know are bad. You don't even give them a second chance.

The same thing's going to happen. One mistake and your fingerprints are 'black marks'.... forget about entering any 'privately-owned' establishment... for life maybe? This needs to be thought out properly by the government, and fast.
It *is* being thought out by the Government. They Government is actively encouraging private industry to sign up to get access to the ID card database to do exactly what you are talking about. The Government will do the registration of the people for them, and then companies get to use it without having to bother with issuing cards, selling replacement cards, re-registering people, etc. (there are fairly expensive access fees envisaged for the private companies: the Government sees selling access and data as a way of recouping some of the running costs of the scheme).

The risks of becoming a blacklisted "non-person" are very real. Take a look at the No2ID web site for more details on this. It's truly horrifying.

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:50 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
It *is* being thought out by the Government. They Government is actively encouraging private industry to sign up to get access to the ID card database to do exactly what you are talking about. The Government will do the registration of the people for them, and then companies get to use it without having to bother with issuing cards, selling replacement cards, re-registering people, etc. (there are fairly expensive access fees envisaged for the private companies: the Government sees selling access and data as a way of recouping some of the running costs of the scheme).

The risks of becoming a blacklisted "non-person" are very real. Take a look at the No2ID web site for more details on this. It's truly horrifying.

K.
Revelations. Go read it. We're doomed I tell you !!!

Science + politics = oppression

Rich
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

K.
The use of personal information held on government computers for commercial purposes is well established in Europe. Ages ago I worked on a system, one I know still to be in use, which used a database of vehicle registrations to determine likely buyers of specific new cars (usually changes car every two years, has had a Ford repeatedly, has an eighteen month old Ford, etc.) and to sell the information (in this case to VW, GM and so on).
I question the claim above that similar use can be made of such information in the US and in Canada, I think it's specifically illegal in the US and that it doesn't happen very much in Canada.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
The use of personal information held on government computers for commercial purposes is well established in Europe. Ages ago I worked on a system, one I know still to be in use, which used a database of vehicle registrations to determine likely buyers of specific new cars (usually changes car every two years, has had a Ford repeatedly, has an eighteen month old Ford, etc.) and to sell the information (in this case to VW, GM and so on).
I question the claim above that similar use can be made of such information in the US and in Canada, I think it's specifically illegal in the US and that it doesn't happen very much in Canada.
It's not supposed to be legal in the UK. The companies that have access to the DVLA database are supposed to be authorised to use it for very specific purposes of law enforcement (where parking has been outsourced from local Government). But it's being widely abused, and the Government is now looking into it as a matter of urgency.

The ID card database is, on the other hand, expressly designed for third party access. See this , for example.

Is it legal? The UK law will be drafted (and has been passed) to expressly make it legal. That might not hold at the European level. We'll see.

K.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Anything that makes it safer for normal people to sup a few pints in safety is a good thing by me. Having seen some pretty appauling things happen in pubs, I would happily give them my prints at the door in exchange for a ban on scallys and a safer environment for the rest of us.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:22 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

They've had biometric scans of some sort or another at the upmarket bars in Manchester the footballers tend to frequent for a while now. Though in that case it was to ensure non-members and blaggers were kept out I think.

It all seems a bit suspect to me.

"Any country that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both"

-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by windward; Oct 25th 2006 at 7:33 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 7:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
the upmarket bars in Manchester
Who'd have guessed there to be such a thing.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:24 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

1. Where is there such a device in the US or Canada?

2. How does it confirm identification and age? In the US access to police and government databases by the public is tightly restricted by law. That's not the case here, one's driving record, for example, is quite freely available but it doesn't include fingerprints.
1. can't give you the names, but i know you like your research so i'm sure you'll find them if you don't believe me, Edmonton and NY, NY. As i understand it, its nothing to do with the government, its a voluntary database checked against driving records and membership so the club knows who is allowed in and who isn't, as well as the security aspect of course. as information is given freely there does not appear to be an issue with data collection or storage, i imagine members would sign some kind of waiver.
2. see above, if people grant access, i wouldn't have thought it an issue.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:26 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Who'd have guessed there to be such a thing.
i noticed you've not asked him to name them, i'll help before you do, the white lounge on deansgate, would you like the postcode?
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:33 am
rae
Settled.

A lot of arrests there. How many were guilty?

K.
i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you are not being sarcastic and i'm not being overly defensive.
i cannot quote conviction rates from years ago, so, and i know this will be an abhorrent idea for some on here, you will, wait for it.... have to believe me, i didn't lose many, if any at court.
there is no reason for me to exaggerate or lie, the simple fact is that many of these incidents are straight forward and do not necessitate forensic evidence. when we do catch a thief, its usually red handed.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
there is no reason for me to exaggerate or lie, the simple fact is that many of these incidents are straight forward and do not necessitate forensic evidence. when we do catch a thief, its usually red handed.
That's proper policing. But DNA evidence is treated differently. We're starting to see is an overreliance on DNA, with people (police, courts, juries) equating DNA evidence to proof. I'm sure you're familiar with the Raymond Easton case where a totally innocent man was mistreated by your colleagues and then charged solely on a DNA match? That scandal led to a change in the sampling to keep more than 6 loci.

K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.