British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Beer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/beer-927329/)

sid nv Aug 23rd 2019 5:30 pm

Re: Beer

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12726566)
Courage Best, 75p a pint / Directors 85p a pint, in the Student Union Bar at Plymouth Poly in the late 80's. Them were the days....

Whitbread Tankard, Watney's Red Barrel, Double Diamond, around 2 shillings a pint in the early 70's. Them were not the days.

Paul_Shepherd Aug 23rd 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12726569)
I think that depended on how good the landlord was.
Our local' s bitter was pretty good and the best was even better. Then Directors came along and it was very good but pricey. I had the feeling that the landlord deliberately let the quality of the others go so he could sell the more expensive one. But then he stopped caring and the Directors went downhill.

We stopped going and went into town instead for Ruddles County, Marstons Pedigree, Burton, something called 1057 I think, Royal Oak and so on.

Depends on the beer. More head, less beer. :lol:
I remember oversize glasses appearing temporarily. Maybe you northerners had big hands. :p

I remember going into a pub near Preston railway station in 1980. Two pints and two ploughman's and having change from a quid. I don't remember Bristol prices then but there wouldn't have been much change with just the beer.

Mind you, the ploughman's came with ordinary sliced bread which was a bit disappointing.

Ruddles County.... that was a good robust tasting beer.... good head too! ;):thumbup:

Ah a good Ploughmans and a Ruddles would be a good combo... funny the humble Ploughmans seems to have given way to more American style food now.... but you cant beat a properly served Ploughmans.... the ordinary slices bread is a no no! lol

Pork scratchings....another great accompaniment to a good robust pint.... its funny now though I tried one a year ago, my cousin brought some over, and I couldnt help thinking how scarily unhealthy they were, never really paid much attention before, but I guess my dietary habits have changed somewhat in recent years. Deep fried fat smothered in salt doesn't seem right somehow... :eek:

Paul_Shepherd Aug 23rd 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12726617)
Whitbread Tankard, Watney's Red Barrel, Double Diamond, around 2 shillings a pint in the early 70's. Them were not the days.

Ooooooh no not the day at all..... Worthinton E Brew IX.... a couple more...I am glad I was too young to drink then! lol Mind you we still have the likes of Carling.....insipid dishwater.....:sick:

caretaker Aug 23rd 2019 5:37 pm

There were 3 of us that used to do tag-team crossword when I bartended Saturday happy hour, (Malcom, Nigel, and I), and whenever one of us would travel to Vancouver, we'd bring back a couple of 2L bottles of Webster's Yorkshire Bitter and we'd make an occasion of it.

BristolUK Aug 23rd 2019 6:14 pm

You forgot Ben Truman's.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c287ad508f.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...11e517fda1.jpg

BristolUK Aug 23rd 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12726618)
Ruddles County....

I believe Picaroons does a beer that passes for a Ruddles. Unfortunately I can't recall it nor recognise it from the website. But you could have fun trying them.

Oink Aug 23rd 2019 6:53 pm

There seems to be a lot of rather distasteful stereotyping that borders on uncomfortablism. Just because people who live in "the south" don't go around shagging pit ponies and wearing ridiculously large flat caps while their 18 rickets and tuberculosis stricken children carry home a Hovis bread loaf for the village doesn't mean that we don't occasionally savour a nice glass or two of Bavarian pilsner .

caretaker Aug 23rd 2019 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12726655)
There seems to be a lot of rather distasteful stereotyping that borders on uncomfortablism. Just because people who live in "the south" don't go around shagging pit ponies and wearing ridiculously large flat caps while our 18 rickets and tuberculosis stricken children carry home a Hovis bread loaf for the village doesn't mean that we don't occasionally savour a nice glass or two of Bavarian pilsner .

Agreed. As in wine appreciation, snobbery isn't constructive. When you know beer and know what you like, it's like understanding the effect of terroir on wine grapes; it's all you need.

Former Lancastrian Aug 23rd 2019 8:59 pm

There seems to be a lot of rather distasteful stereotyping that borders on uncomfortablism. Just because people who live in "the south" don't go around shagging pit ponies and wearing ridiculously large flat caps while their 18 rickets and tuberculosis stricken children carry home a Hovis bread loaf for the village doesn't mean that we don't occasionally savour a nice glass or two of Bavarian pilsner .

:rofl: Well as a Northerner I don't feel insulted one bit as if asked to describe a person from Yorkshire I would have described them the same way but would have substituted the animal used for carnal pleasure.

caretaker Aug 23rd 2019 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12726690)
:rofl: Well as a Northerner I don't feel insulted one bit as if asked to describe a person from Yorkshire I would have described them the same way but would have substituted the animal used for carnal pleasure.

Of course, that's a much rarer occurrence now.
Sheep Have Exceptionally High Face-Recognition Abilities, News Study Reveals | Biology | Sci-News.com

Siouxie Aug 23rd 2019 10:16 pm

and... Whitbread (big head) Trophy Bitter... the pint that thinks it's a quart!

(that advert is playing in my brain :D... and here it is!

scrubbedexpat134 Aug 23rd 2019 11:22 pm

I'd rather be Hemeling

Partially discharged Aug 23rd 2019 11:29 pm

You southerners only wish you could live on Beasley Street

dbd33 Aug 23rd 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12726742)
You southerners only wish you could live on Beasley Street

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37QUUwp9xIs

Not really a beer drinker, him, more of a heroin man. If only he'd been exposed to Young's Ordinary or Fuller's Pride, he might have stayed off the smack and not got stuck with Nico. The curse of the north, I suppose.

BristolUK Aug 24th 2019 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12726727)
(that advert is playing in my brain :D... and here it is!

Do 'ave a Dubonnet.