British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Beer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/beer-927329/)

magnumpi Aug 19th 2019 9:32 pm

Beer

i am in Brockville Ontario drinking Old Spec hen and it’s good ale

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e1e954f50.jpeg

BristolUK Aug 19th 2019 10:47 pm

Re: Beer

Is it ice cold?

BEVS Aug 19th 2019 10:59 pm

They have Hobgoblin also. MrBEVS will be right over.

Partially discharged Aug 20th 2019 12:46 am

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12724969)
i am in Brockville Ontario drinking Old Spec hen and it’s good ale

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e1e954f50.jpeg

Oh come on admit it you had the beer on the far left :):)

Which pub in Brockville is that taken in. The Union Jack Pub?

magnumpi Aug 20th 2019 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12725013)
Oh come on admit it you had the beer on the far left :):)

Which pub in Brockville is that taken in. The Union Jack Pub?

no it’s x the road at the Dragon

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 20th 2019 7:21 am

I don't drink beer, but I always like the creative handle thingers different beers use on the tap.

Pizzawheel Aug 20th 2019 2:18 pm

This looks like a great selection. Looks like the old speccy is keg though.....

Oakvillian Aug 20th 2019 2:22 pm

Yummy! Both Morland's OSH (once brewed in Abingdon) and Wychwood's Hobgoblin (Witney) remind me of many misspent hours in my youth - those two, plus Hook Norton's Old Hooky, are among my favourite beers and bring back fond memories of Oxfordshire summers on the river or the cricket field... in fact, I'm pretty sure the first glass of beer I ever drank was a half-pint of Hooky that my dad, the next batsman in, had had to leave behind in the pavilion at Hook Norton when a wicket fell. I would have been about six.

Paul_Shepherd Aug 20th 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 12725268)

Yes...the old speccy will be keg...I have never known British cask ale being shipped across the pond..... its still nice though.

To Magnum's comment....its still a tasty beer even if it is fizzy and ice cold! and to Bristol's point its still waaay better than the dish water on the left... which sadly we have all had to endure from time to time....its a bit like the Canadian version of Carling,,,,...just insipid! I never know why they call it Canadian!! Its an insult to Canada! with the good Canadian beers coming available now, and importantly some excellent cask ales getting more popular now too!! There is worse than Canadian though I guess... you could go a step further to the dish water side and have the Coors Lite, which is bland nothingness dish water! lol

I am heading to the UK in a couple of weeks....soooooo looking forward to some great ale again! Im looking forward to some Titanic brewery's Plum Porter.....such deliciousness! and some of my home town's brew...Batham's bitter! :thumbsup:

Oakvillian Aug 20th 2019 3:36 pm

As Paul_Shepherd says, it'll all be kegged "electric beer" over here, a cask ale wouldn't fare well on the transatlantic journey (unless it were a very hoppy IPA - that's what IPA was first brewed for, after all...). There are one or two good local cask ales around here - the Old Credit Brewery's Amber Ale is available in cask if you look hard enough, and is also sold in the brewery shop bottled "live" - that's just around the corner from my work and on my route home, so it's occasionally necessary to stop in and pick up a handful for the weekend :)

magnumpi Aug 20th 2019 3:47 pm

It wasn’t freezing cold, it tasted like real beer, nice head, smooth tasting, even came in a Old Spec glass :@)

Partially discharged Aug 20th 2019 3:51 pm

In the mid 90's I attended a family wedding and they had Old Speckled Hen on draught at the pub where the wedding was held in Warwickshire. Lovely cask ale at the wedding that went down well...actually too well. The wedding ended and I was not the driver back to the B and B. :):)

The next day early in the morning we had to be at Heathrow by about 11:30 and after leaving the B and B we popped into a shop for some food for the journey and to avoid Heathrow prices. They had bottles of Old Speckled Hen and I bought 4 and jammed them into my suitcase. When we got back to Canada I had them and the difference in taste between keg and bottle was quite large and not in a good way.

As some other posters have said, there is a large variety of craft ales here compared to 20 years ago and the imported beers from the UK really aren't worth the bother after they've traveled so far etc. It is best to drink what is local and have the UK beers when you're back in the UK.

Paul_Shepherd Aug 20th 2019 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12725309)
It wasn’t freezing cold, it tasted like real beer, nice head, smooth tasting, even came in a Old Spec glass :@)

As Partiall Discharged says, the bottle version and the cask does taste quite a bit different.... but even the keg version of old speckled is still way better than that beer on the left!...... as you say...tastes like real beer!

Paul_Shepherd Aug 20th 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12725309)

Nice head....Smooth tasting... Hmm....makes me wonder if it was Nitro injected instead of CO2....??

CanadaJimmy Aug 20th 2019 5:31 pm

Nice. I used to love Worthington's Creamflow, don't know if there are any pubs here that have it.