Beer

Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:26 am
Account Closed

saskia07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beer

Hi

Hopefully the title will have grabbed your attention. I'm looking at possibly buying a business in BC and a small microbrewery is on the market. I know, single woman with a brewery........?

It's not as daft as it sounds as I spent my early career in the beer market, so I do know a bit about it.....

I am interested in the potential in the area. This particular brewery produces bitters and dark ales, and I'm trying to understand if this is this a minority taste in the Okanagan? I will have to do some solid market research before progressing, but I thought I'd do a bit of unscientific sampling first!

All comments gratefully received......

Thanks

Sas x
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:30 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer

You might find this site interesting: http://www.bcbeer.ca/

I'd say that yes, it's a minority market, but that doesn't mean not without value. Most local liquor stores sell a reasonable range of darker/bitter beers, often produced by BC micro-breweries.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:37 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saskia07
Hi

I'm looking at possibly buying a business in BC and a small microbrewery is on the market. I know, single woman with a brewery........?
i am mildly attractive, physically fit and have a uniform. you are my ideal woman. my wife never need know.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rae
i am mildly attractive, physically fit and have a uniform. you are my ideal woman. my wife never need know.
I'll remember that! Bit desperate I know, but when you're passed forty you'll do anything to get your man! You're not a Mountie as well are you?

Cheers, Sas x
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by R I C H
You might find this site interesting: http://www.bcbeer.ca/

I'd say that yes, it's a minority market, but that doesn't mean not without value. Most local liquor stores sell a reasonable range of darker/bitter beers, often produced by BC micro-breweries.
Thanks R I C H, (again), I have sampled a few of the local beers whilst on reccies, but need to get my head around the size of the opportunity. If it all comes good I'll send you some free samples!

Sas
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:36 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saskia07
You're not a Mountie as well are you?

Cheers, Sas x
Actually, you're pretty close!!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sas

The Penticton Fest-of-Ale was held last weekend Here's a link to their website showing the breweries that attended & what they had to offer...

http://www.fest-of-ale.bc.ca/index2.html

Cheers!

Oggy
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:24 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadians have a taste for proper beer, and not just the Big Brand Crap.

Here in Winnipeg at my wifes place "Raging Brit/Brit Cafe" they have on draft beer from a local micro brewery "Half-Pints", people love it. (www.halfpintsbrewing.com) The beauty of it for "The Brit" is that though it is a local beer the malt and hops for the "IPA" are all imported from the UK. So they have a Local "British" beer to sell.

In the 18 months he has been brewing he has made significant inroads into the local market (and Winnipeg is renowned for be a very conservative City), so I can say that Canadians DO like a good well brewed beer.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really niceJo Monaghan is just really nice

All power to your elbow Sas !!

I'm not in the beer trade (or BC for that matter) so can't claim to be an expert.

However the one suggestion I'd make is that you pay a lot of attention to all aspects of the distribution of your product - it seems to be critical in most lines of business here.

MrM

(ex High Wycombe where our local small brewer was Rebellion - some great beers !)
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:32 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Used to work with a guy called Teddy Maufe for a while (for anyone who knows beer his farm grows all the malting barley that supplies the Norfolk Micro Breweries and Teddy owns the real Ale shop in Wells too that sells some of the results of labour).

Since being here haven't really found anywhere that does a decent ale Broadside and Revenge were my faves and I too know a bit about them, and many locals we speak to hanker for a decent ale. I would seriously go for it lady!!!!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

Thanks guys for all the comments. Looks like I might not be completely barking for considering it........will let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

Sas x
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:57 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Used to work with a guy called Teddy Maufe for a while (for anyone who knows beer his farm grows all the malting barley that supplies the Norfolk Micro Breweries and Teddy owns the real Ale shop in Wells too that sells some of the results of labour).
Half-Pints get their Malt & Hops from a company in Stowmarket.

Where is the Real Ale shop in Wells? We used to have a Beach Hut on Wells Beach back in the late 80's through to 98 when we emigrated, we loved that beach, and eating fish and chips on the wall overlooking Wells harbor.

Those Were the Days.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:57 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Half-Pints get their Malt & Hops from a company in Stowmarket.

Where is the Real Ale shop in Wells? We used to have a Beach Hut on Wells Beach back in the late 80's through to 98 when we emigrated, we loved that beach, and eating fish and chips on the wall overlooking Wells harbor.

Those Were the Days.
The Real Ale Shop is just off of 'The Dry Road', you know the long one from Fakenham into Wells, so called due to the fact that there have never been any pubs on it, a couple of miles before you get to the New Holkham turn.

Teddy is a tennant farmer on the Holkham Estate and when I ran The Globe we had lots of nice meetings and beer tasting regarding the supply of some of his produce in there!

Daft Batty loves Wells beach too, but a lot has changed there in recent years, for the worse unfortunately
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:10 am
RETIRED Realtor

You ran the Globe in Wells, you might know my sister in law and her husband, Jane & Roger Marjoram, they used to have a B&B in the town.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:28 am
Sawdust making harpy

The names don't ring a bell, I was offered the job the day we came for our reccie last year, so took it and was only there for a short time as manager before we moved over!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.