Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

been outbid on a house

been outbid on a house

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Default been outbid on a house

sometimes i'm just amazed.

we found a nice house that wasn't a bad price, possibly a tad over market value, so we did the usual and put in a decent offer to start, only to be told 10 minutes later that another bid was going in that minute ! F me you cant give houses away and you get 2 bids in 5 mins.

so i upped my bid to what i considered a fair amount and slightly more than i would have offered if there was no other bid, i still expected to be out bid, which was fine as the house is nice but not worth a bidding war as there is plenty for sale. and i've just found out that the other bid was more than the list price wtf ! do they not realise we are still in recession ! our realator was shocked at the amount they offered

they must have really wanted the house as for what they paid you could have got a house with another 1000 sqft.

back to searching for us
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 6:23 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: been outbid on a house

is this the house with the engineering problem?
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
is this the house with the engineering problem?
nope this was our 2nd choice house, i don't think its the time for us to buy lol i'm going to stop looking for a few weeks. might even put a daft offer in on the engineering one just to see
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:08 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - maybe it's fate / karma telling you to wait a few weeks
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4d32ftw
sometimes i'm just amazed.

we found a nice house that wasn't a bad price, possibly a tad over market value, so we did the usual and put in a decent offer to start, only to be told 10 minutes later that another bid was going in that minute ! F me you cant give houses away and you get 2 bids in 5 mins.

so i upped my bid to what i considered a fair amount and slightly more than i would have offered if there was no other bid, i still expected to be out bid, which was fine as the house is nice but not worth a bidding war as there is plenty for sale. and i've just found out that the other bid was more than the list price wtf ! do they not realise we are still in recession ! our realator was shocked at the amount they offered

they must have really wanted the house as for what they paid you could have got a house with another 1000 sqft.

back to searching for us
Some people get very emotionally attached to houses they've looked at for 30 minutes. I wouldn't even bother entering trying to outbid people like that

Ralph Wiggum says it best:

Ralph (considering buying the Simpsons' house): I'll give you three crayons and my milk.
Cookie Kwan (to Homer): It's a good offer. I advise you to take it.
Homer: Make that a chocolate milk and you got a deal.
Ralph: I'm walking away.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:48 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Is the house in Juniper? Just curious..
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny B
Is the house in Juniper? Just curious..
nope it was in upper sahali, opposite mcgowan park.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:20 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

When we were house hunting we saw many places. There were a couple we were going to put an offer on, and decided to sleep on it, rather than make a rash decision, and in the end glad we did that, anyway, one place we were tempted by, but after a nights sleep decided not to put an offer in on went over the initial asking price.

Think it was listed at $350 and went for $420. There was some bidding war going on. We laughed as the house was nice, but it wasn't worth putting in over the asking price.

It's one of the things we said, no matter how nice the house, no matter how much we've fallen in love with it, we are NOT entering into a bidding war, and will not pay over the asking price. I'm not going to put myself into more debt just because some other bugger is playing what amounts to games.