Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Beef, do you buy it still?

Beef, do you buy it still?

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beef, do you buy it still?

I gave up red meat around April 2014, so I have no idea how the prices have changed over the past year. Gave up poultry at the beginning of this year too, so the only meat I eat now is fish (which is rarely).

If you're looking to save money (and have a much better impact on the environment) then I would suggest a good vegetarian diet tbh
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 6:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Agreed - there are vocational training and learning options that don't require 4 years of lecture time. It just means compromising today (free time, disposable income etc) for a better tomorrow.

You can't just throw your hands in the air saying you can't do it, and wait for someone to legislate you to a better future. You have to do it yourself.
We are trying to go back to school next spring for a 13 week certificate course, may or may not lead to a job, only time will tell if it does.

It's hard to just randomly pick programs and pick one that may lead to a job, the one's I really have an interest in are out of my league as I am not a good enough academic and they are all competitive based programs, so no way I'd ever get in, I am just not a strong academic never have been.

I've probably gone to college/vocational programs a half dozen times at minimum, except for 1, I have always fallen so far behind, the school drops me. Not from lack of trying, just simply don't have the basic education to keep up with college students who excel at learning in a academic setting.

I learn best by doing, not by reading and studying, but by actually being shown how to do something, and then being allowed to practice the skill over and over until it becomes natural, I learn by repetition I suppose.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 3rd 2015 at 6:50 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 8:20 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
I gave up red meat around April 2014, so I have no idea how the prices have changed over the past year. Gave up poultry at the beginning of this year too, so the only meat I eat now is fish (which is rarely).

If you're looking to save money (and have a much better impact on the environment) then I would suggest a good vegetarian diet tbh
So what kind of things do you eat? Do you you wat any meat substitutes (Quorn, soya, etc)?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:13 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
When they can invent a veggie that tastes as good as meat, maybe.

Just to put the cat among the pigeons, many of the unhealthiest people I ever came across were vegetarians.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a secretary that worked for me. She had such sparkling eyes and lovely healthy looking skin as well as white teeth. She was in her late forties. When I asked how she kept so healthy looking, I expected her to go on about gym and yoga etc. But no it was all down to beig a Vegitarion since she left school. Goes to show.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:07 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
When they can invent a veggie that tastes as good as meat, maybe.

Just to put the cat among the pigeons, many of the unhealthiest people I ever came across were vegetarians.
I've known vegetarians whose prime meal was chips.

Whilst we definitely eat too much meat these days I'd sooner cut down and eat decent stuff instead of that awful bland factory produced chicken.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
...awful bland factory produced chicken.
I've never had bland chicken. I've had chicken thighs that had not much meat on but I've never had chicken that wasn't nice.

Sometimes I wonder if the expectation that something should be better (for whatever reason) influences taste.

Whether it be organic produce, free range, battery, halal whatever, I've never noticed any difference except for the cost.

I even had a named chicken from my sister in law's family farm. No different to any other chicken I ever had.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had bland chicken. I've had chicken thighs that had not much meat on but I've never had chicken that wasn't nice.

Sometimes I wonder if the expectation that something should be better (for whatever reason) influences taste.

Whether it be organic produce, free range, battery, halal whatever, I've never noticed any difference except for the cost.

I even had a named chicken from my sister in law's family farm. No different to any other chicken I ever had.
I can't tell the difference between the different labels either. I bought eggs directly from a farm once for like 6 dollars for a dozen, they tasted the same to me, no difference except instead of 2.50 for a dozen they were 6 dollars for a dozen, so I went back to buying 30 eggs at the grocery store for 6 dollars.

Same with local fruits, they cost about double the price of the California imports, but I can't taste any difference, taste the same to me.

I did a taste test once, I was supposed to be able to taste how great the organic cage free, whatever was, but I chose the normal supermarket variety as tasting the best...The hippy at the food stand was not impressed.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:23 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I can't tell the difference between the different labels either. I bought eggs directly from a farm once for like 6 dollars for a dozen, they tasted the same to me, no difference except instead of 2.50 for a dozen they were 6 dollars for a dozen, so I went back to buying 30 eggs at the grocery store for 6 dollars.

Same with local fruits, they cost about double the price of the California imports, but I can't taste any difference, taste the same to me.

I did a taste test once, I was supposed to be able to taste how great the organic cage free, whatever was, but I chose the normal supermarket variety as tasting the best...The hippy at the food stand was not impressed.
The only time I've noticed a difference with eggs is when we stay with my husband's parents. Their next door neighbour keeps chickens, and often deliver fresh-laid eggs. I do notice a difference in having an egg that's just been laid... the egg white is a bit more firm, and the yolk is richer and brighter in colour. But other than that, I've not particularly noticed much of a difference otherwise.

Likewise for fruit... I do notice a difference if I'm eating it straight off the tree (like going apple picking or eating raspberries straight off the bush in my MIL's garden), but other than that, minimal differences noticed.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Those supermarket pre-cooked chickens are fowl.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:45 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Those supermarket pre-cooked chickens are fowl.
Ba-dum-tssh.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:03 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Ba-dum-tssh.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 3:38 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
... I chose the normal supermarket variety as tasting the best...The hippy at the food stand was not impressed.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:22 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had bland chicken.
I think all chicken is bland- I wouldn't want to eat it if it hadn't been curried, barbequed, Cajun fried or whatever. Steak I can pretty much eat ungarnished. Pork needs a wee bit of wrangling.

Mind you I do have a phobia of sunday roast chicken from growing up- due to my dad's heart condition we never had red meat or pork.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 12:50 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I think all chicken is bland- I wouldn't want to eat it if it hadn't been curried, barbequed, Cajun fried or whatever.
I have that problem with some Pork but it very much depends on what part of the meat it is.

What is sold as Pork Sirloin, now that I find tasteless and needs the enhancements above. There's another one that needs garlic pushed into it in several places before cooking. I call it "Suppository Pork"
Steak I can pretty much eat ungarnished.
Certainly that can be true.

I've never got used to the different names they use here - seem to be a lot more of them too. Price seems to be a reasonable guide to quality but not always.

Some of the cheaper stuff needs a pepper sauce or something. But one of the best roast beefs I ever had here was a $3.99 lb boneless cross rib.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.