Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

BC Government - Robbing gits

BC Government - Robbing gits

Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:11 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Government - Robbing gits

Originally Posted by geo4
Take the bucking fus FFS!!
You meant bus, right? cos then I agree.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:54 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
You meant bus, right? cos then I agree.
You're rucking fight that's what I meant!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:20 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
Ok, so it's mandatory to buy car insurance from ICBC (gvt monopoly) at extortionate rates. They make huge profits and the BC gvt siphons approx $800m from them. Talk about a sly tax. Why don't people demand that gvt monoplies should be revenue neutral? If they want to make a profit, open the market up to competition. It's nothing short of extortion.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...c-surplus.html

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...increases.html

Not mentioned in this story, is the fact that BC Hydro is paying the BC gvt approx $250m extra, hence the reason for a proportion of the increases.

Seriously, is anyone awake in this province? Do they not see or care what is going on? Can't rely on the media to kick up a stink, because they are utterly useless. Taxes are one thing, but sneaky back door taxation of this kind really gets my goat !!
the way the local rag wrote about it i understood that the money is taken out of the surplus in the optional extended coverage (where you actually have a choice to a) take it up in the first place and b) to get a better rate with a private insurer) and not out of the mandatory basic plan.

doesn't really make the whole story any better, though.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:34 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Why? I like that there is a real effort here to keep booze out of the hands of minors. If my license to operate my local liquour monopoly was going to be threatened by selling to kids you can bet I'd be making sure I checked ID' too!

I am not a fan of cheap booze in general anyway, I dont think there is any benefit to society, and I dont drink enough that the additional cost (if there is one) affects me all that much...
You don't need a government monopoly to protect children from buying liquor. That can be achieved by heavy fines to businesses like they do with selling tobacco too minors. How many smokers over 40 have had to provide their ID to a 16 year old clerk making minimum wage lately?

The provincial control of the sale of booze is all about money. The USA has a complete privatisation of alcohol sales and there is no evidence that underage drinking, drunk driving, or alcoholism is significantly higher. Clerks at liquor stores should not be civil servants.