Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

banning latin ... is nothing sacred?

banning latin ... is nothing sacred?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: banning latin ... is nothing sacred?

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Close, but no cigar:

moment < momentum, motion, thus cause of motion, thus importance
minute < minutus minute (very small), thus a small period of time
rural < rus, countryside
transport < trans, across + portare, to carry
dignitary < dignitas, dignity
computer < computare, ultimately com, with + putare, to think
research < ultimately re, again + circare, go around
derivation < derivare, to lead off

There are probably more. By no means a trivial task, using no words of Latin origin.
Go ahead, show us how it's done.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Go ahead, show us how it's done.
I've been trying, amongst other tasks this afternoon. It's a lot harder than it looks. Swearing is probably a good way to go, as is animal stuff like what Novo dun. Livestock is Anglo-Saxon, the same creature cooked and prepared is usually Norman French from Latin roots, because the peasants reared and prepared the food for the nobility... hence cow -> beef, sheep -> mutton, swine -> pork, deer -> venison, etc.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Will this do?

The old man walked up the nearby hill, dropped his bucket down the well and drew some water. He washed his body, his hair and his clothes - shirt, socks, shoes, underpants and trousers - then put his anorak back on and trudged slowly towards his nearby house. Once he got there, he saw his wife in the field, gathering their sheep and goats for the night, to keep them safe in the shed. He kissed his woman and followed her into the back room, where they readied a meal, then they sat down and ate it with a big jug of beer. After that they both went to sleep.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Will this do?

The old man walked up the nearby hill, dropped his bucket down the well and drew some water. He washed his body, his hair and his clothes - shirt, socks, shoes, underpants and trousers - then put his anorak back on and trudged slowly towards his nearby house. Once he got there, he saw his wife in the field, gathering their sheep and goats for the night, to keep them safe in the shed. He kissed his woman and followed her into the back room, where they readied a meal, then they sat down and ate it with a big jug of beer. After that they both went to sleep.
pants?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Anyone else noticed that ... irregardless of the contextuality?
having consulted wiki and I quote:

The origin of irregardless is not known for certain, but the consensus among references is that it is a blend of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English words. By blending these words, an illogical word is created. "Since the prefix ir- means 'not' (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means 'without,' irregardless is a double negative."[1]
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
having consulted wiki and I quote:

The origin of irregardless is not known for certain, but the consensus among references is that it is a blend of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English words. By blending these words, an illogical word is created. "Since the prefix ir- means 'not' (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means 'without,' irregardless is a double negative."[1]
Quite.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

Will this do?

I'd say that looks very good especially since I have just gathered the animals and readied a supper. I raise my jug of beer to you.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:16 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Quoting Beowulf or Joe Effing Kinnear is offside.
What light through yonder window breaks. 'Tis dawn, and Juliet is the sun.

I used to put Q.E.D. after the solutions to problems I'd set my third year undergrad class.

No-one had a clue what it meant, so I don't any more.
I'm not too sure of the Latin but it's something like 'Quod Est Demonstratum', roughly translating as far as I know into 'what is demonstrated'.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Will this do?

It seems to me that, at least so far, this is the winner.

Unfortunately, the top prize is to help dbd33 with his daily greek.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

It seems to me that, at least so far, this is the winner.

risata fuori alto!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:23 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

I though she was American? Anyway, if he needs help with that couldn't we just chip in for some V14gr4 for him?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I though she was American? Anyway, if he needs help with that couldn't we just chip in for some V14gr4 for him?
American and gone to America this morning, alas.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I suppose this would be a bad moment to ask if "wolfbagging" has Latin or Greek roots?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:44 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

If your interested in the roots of English I recommend "Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson, written before he got into travel writing. Explains the whole progression in his amusing style.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_bryson

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Nov 8th 2008 at 12:48 am.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:58 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure pants isnt Latin? pantalons?

Novo, I was hoping you could treat us to an old english/norse combo in the form of a geordie bible story. That should avoid Latin. Those Romans got to Newcastle though, so maybe not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.