Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bandit's not happy with the new addition - Crutches....

Bandit's not happy with the new addition - Crutches....

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:57 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bandit's not happy with the new addition - Crutches....

Any way enough bout how fit we all are or are not , ,

BANDIT - how are you today? will text but call if you need anything - we have a spare bed in case you need help !
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandit
Hey folks!!!!

How's everyone?

Well, today I went on a much anticipated trip to Whistler - all very excited and eager to go...

Anyway - first run of the day, I fall, hear a pop in my knee and thing - Oh *****! Friends come to me, ask if I'm ok and of course I say - Yeah, nothing wrong.... Get up to ski further, fall again twice, same thing happens but now without the pop... met them at the bottom of (thankfully) the very short run, say I'm off to just have a coffee and I'll see them in a bit.... They ski off and I bend over and burst into tears.... The pain kind of just hit me then. A vvv nice couple helped me to a chair and sorted my skis and called ski patrol... Eventually was put in the taboggan and taken down the hill, into an ambulance and to Whistlers Clinic....

I have a 3rd degree tear of my anterior crutiate ligament in my knee and my ski season has come to an abrupt halt. Not only that, my knees were one of the joints in my ailiing body that were still in tact. B*gger!

I'm so gutted as last w/end I skied Big White and didn't fall once, went so so fast and improved my skiing no end. Today it was very wet and heavy powder, caught an inside edge on my upper ski - ski went one way, knee fell the other.

Anyone out there know what kind of healing time I can expect. Medic said I need to get a referal to an orthopod ASAP, and also start physio. I may also need surgery if things don't heal on their own. I have hyper mobility syndrome too on top of all this, so I'm always over extending my joints. Any other tips from those unfortunate to have done what I have done today?????

Thanks in advance guys for your help.

Bx
Sorry I can't offer any help, just wanted to say I hope you get better soon!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:43 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I'll be happy to stand corrected, but I can't imagine a scenario where an accident occurs simply because of fatigue
Unfortunately that where most of mine would lie, pushing the envelope, just skiing down after a long day
The limbs start to tire, you sit back, you get lazy with your stance and holding an edge becomes just slightly harder
One time after a day racing I was so tired that I fell three times within about 100m just because one leg couldn’t keep the edge in control, I had to sit down rest and hit the glucose to get down to the bottom.

However I do believe the fitter your body the faster it can recover from the injuries, and to some extent tolerate more abuse before failure occurs

I’d also recommend that you understand your settings on your bindings and make sure that the rental or local ski shop doesn’t just let the spotty new kid set them up.
Correctly set bindings can make a huge difference; then again the more directions of release from the bindings will also help, so I believe it’s worth getting the best you can afford,

Last edited by MikeUK; Mar 2nd 2009 at 9:07 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys...

Take on board the fitness issues, (I am not a fitness freak however I would consider myself fit to ski, as was shown last w/end in different conditions - I also suffer from hyper mobility syndrome so my joints have always been suseptible (sp) to injury) and last time I went to Whistler, I also had a bad time because of the powder, felt it was really holding and as a result, I just took the green cat tracks back down and the gondola - I know when I'm tired.

Yesterday is was the first run of the day - had been skiing about 10 mins before I just caught my edge the wrong way - ski held in the snow, knee fell down the mountain. I got up and skied down to the coffee hut, but could go no further.

Today, I saw another medic who thinks it's not as bad as the Whistler medic said. Then I was in touch with a friend who works at Vanoc, and she's given me the name of a sports doc in Van who was recommended by the Vanoc head of medicine. Seeing him on Wednesday.

It's not sore if I have it raised and no pressure. I can walk around the apartment withouth crutches and feel alot better than yesterday even in just one day. I have peas and sweetcorn surrounding my knee, hoping that helps too.

Thank you sooo much for karma and good wishes.

Bx
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future

HTML Code:
Today, I saw another medic who thinks it's not as bad as the Whistler medic said. Then I was in touch with a friend who works at Vanoc, and she's given me the name of a sports doc in Van who was recommended by the Vanoc head of medicine. Seeing him on Wednesday.
Hope all goes well Weds! if you need anything just PM me as i work downtown so it's no bother to bring you round some goodies.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:34 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
Hey guys...

Take on board the fitness issues, (I am not a fitness freak however I would consider myself fit to ski, as was shown last w/end in different conditions - I also suffer from hyper mobility syndrome so my joints have always been suseptible (sp) to injury) and last time I went to Whistler, I also had a bad time because of the powder, felt it was really holding and as a result, I just took the green cat tracks back down and the gondola - I know when I'm tired.

Yesterday is was the first run of the day - had been skiing about 10 mins before I just caught my edge the wrong way - ski held in the snow, knee fell down the mountain. I got up and skied down to the coffee hut, but could go no further.

It's not sore if I have it raised and no pressure. I can walk around the apartment withouth crutches and feel alot better than yesterday even in just one day. I have peas and sweetcorn surrounding my knee, hoping that helps too.
Thank you sooo much for karma and good wishes.

Bx

I actually think that this is where you are falling down (no pun (well ok maybe a little one) intended) - you should be putting frozen perogies on it - after all you are in Canada.

Walks away muttering at some people inability to do what the Romans do when they are in Rome