Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bandit is back from Blighty.....

Bandit is back from Blighty.....

Old May 20th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bandit is back from Blighty.....

Hello guys!

I arrived home in Vancouver on Sunday after a very very hectic vacation to England and Ireland. Primarily I went to England to attend my schoolfriends wedding, however as the trip developed, so did the amount of travelling and people I had to then go and see.

What struck me about returning to Surrey (UK) was the sheer beauty of the lush green fields - I hadn't really thought about how I'd missed it. So it was great getting back to see my country/horsey friends for long walks with dogs.

I did however see the side of Britain I am glad I'm away from - the pure ignorance and rudeness of the general public. Their lack of respect for each other in the street, on the roads struck me.... Having lived in BC for 9 months I'd aclaimatised to thier friendship, helpfulness and customer service.! I also noted the sheer number of chavs - and also a clear class system.

I went to Badminton Horse Trials and saw the wannabe upper classes in their masses. I used to be one (owned a horse, drove a horse lorry, competed in Eventing, wanted the best new things for me and my horses etc), dressing in the gear they all wear kind of struck me as sad. To be judged by your clothes really shocked me and since living in Vancouver I wear what I want and where I want??!! Hey Ho...

The traffic also was a killer.

I saw all my family that live in England and Ireland and it was an exhausting time, I slept in a total of 7 different locations in 10 days!!!!

I do hope that all the people I saw realise how much effort went into it, and that they all do come to Vancouver to visit me. I don't plan on returning next year as the amount of vacation I get here is not great, and also the money thing is a consideration.

Well, I'm so glad to be back here in Van, I've missed it, and I know now that I'm truley happy with the decision I made to leave the UK, leaving a good job, 3 bed house, and a life I'd built up!

Cookies and chocs if you got this far

Bx
Old May 20th 2009, 1:16 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bandit is back from Blighty.....

Both Sally and I have always had friends from all the classes, and have always HATED the class system.

Without doubt the lack of a formal class system is one of the best aspects of Canadian Society.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:24 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
Cookies and chocs if you got this far

Bx
But the Kettle on I'll be there in oh about 12hours.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:25 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I dare you to post this in the MBTUK forum
Old May 20th 2009, 1:45 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Glad yr back safe hun - next week for drinkies and handing over of contraband?
Old May 20th 2009, 2:43 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome back.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:24 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

It sure is good to come home to vancouver.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Great to have you back mate, and can't wait to meet up and catch up on all our gossip - give me a shout when you can fit me in! Glad you're happy to be back

Adele x
Old May 20th 2009, 5:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you had fun and I'm glad your happy with your new life too.

One thing that struck me when I visited my friend - we used to live across the street form each other in council houses, she moved to one of the 'better' villages with her now husband and bought a ex council house and has slowly integrated into the wannabe set that you talk about. It was so wierd going to her house, with the conservatory to have a pseudo posh bbq and pims. I never really thought people really drank pims - just tastes like medicine to me She also puts on this strange voice when her 'friends' are about. Each to their own I suppose, but I'd rather be me.
Old May 20th 2009, 6:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I never really thought people really drank pims - just tastes like medicine to me
Ooooh, I LOVE Pimms!! I don't really like the taste of alcohol so for me it's great as it tastes just like a soft drink! The taste of summer.......hmmmmmm.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:44 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ooooh, I LOVE Pimms!! I don't really like the taste of alcohol so for me it's great as it tastes just like a soft drink! The taste of summer.......hmmmmmm.
Alcohol by itself doesn't have a taste. It's what you put in it that gives a taste.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Both Sally and I have always had friends from all the classes, and have always HATED the class system.

Without doubt the lack of a formal class system is one of the best aspects of Canadian Society.
What class system? If you mean the Pringle wearing, Volvo driving briagade, then you have to be one of them for it to affect you.

The "Upper Class" don't care, the "Lower Class" don't care. It's the wannabes in the middle that care and you have to be one for it to affect you. If you don't care, how can it affect you?
Old May 20th 2009, 1:46 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The "Upper Class" don't care, the "Lower Class" don't care. It's the wannabes in the middle that care and you have to be one for it to affect you. If you don't care, how can it affect you?

Exactly!!
Old May 20th 2009, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
I went to Badminton Horse Trials and saw the wannabe upper classes in their masses. I used to be one (owned a horse, drove a horse lorry, competed in Eventing, wanted the best new things for me and my horses etc), dressing in the gear they all wear kind of struck me as sad. To be judged by your clothes really shocked me and since living in Vancouver I wear what I want and where I want??!! Hey Ho...
If you think this doesn't happen in Canada I've a choice of hunt balls for you.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:09 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a good trip back visiting with friends and rellies.

It is indeed exhausting if you want to get the most out of a visit. I have to say that your sleeping in 7 different beds in 10 days beats my 4 beds in 8 days hands down - what a couple of trollops

Last edited by Cookie; May 20th 2009 at 2:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.