Back from the UK

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back from the UK

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Of course there is a bit of that. The fact that it was warm and sunny whereas in Vancouver we are currently heading for the coldest april on record didn't help either.

Honestly, I like where I live now - but going back shined a light on the things that I have given up to come here. Some of those thing (such as sitting in a beer garden having a pint with my brothers on a warm sunny day) I miss at an almost visceral level.
I can totally appreciate what you're saying. I had the exact same experience when having a drink with my brother in London in March.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Alan 2005 must clearly be delusional, not surprising really if he's been on the real ale for a week or two.
He clearly hasn't seen this http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714324
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:06 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that Alan would allow an element of rose tintedness in his view of his vacation. But a trip back does bring into sharp relief those things that we give up to move to Canada. Beer, family, Bruce Forsythe etc. Last summer, after two weeks back in UK I was about ready to move back after 6 years away. But that was due to job situation for me and the Mrs here in Newfoundland. That situation improved dramatically and the desire to move back diminished. It will be interesting to see how we feel after this summers trip. For me it's now about taking my daughter to spend time with her grandparents whilst we can - and seeing my new niece. As with everything "its for the children....." (and ok possibly the beer as well)
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Seedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant future

Did you not visit a petrol station? Surely the £1.40 a litre was something different since you last visited.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seedubs
Did you not visit a petrol station? Surely the £1.40 a litre was something different since you last visited.
Yeah, that was an eye opener. One petrol station I went to only had the posh stuff at £1.50. Ouch....
Old Apr 24th 2011, 8:37 am
Just Joined

jrhodes is an unknown quantity at this point

I know everyone gets home sick and all that but does anyone who has been living in Canada for a few years really regret it?

My wife and I are moving out in August, to Ottawa and I have already drawn up a list of things I know I'll miss:

1. Best friends
2. Surf trips to Croyde (With best friends)
3. Drinking Tribute Cornish Ale (While on Surf Trips with best friends)

erm... Now I'm struggling to think...

I know what I am going to like:

Having an insane house on 4+ acres of land for a tiny / F*** all mortgage.
Getting a dog.
Having kids.
working less hours for more money, in real terms.
Skiing a lot in the winter.

And a whole lot more

Who cares if the Canadians dont have good Bitter, they do have Steam Whistle beer which is a close second and is going to be my drink of choice.

Who cares if they don't take any notice of the highway code they may or may not have, I've driven around Compton (South Central L.A. - that was something to see) - Anyway I'm just going to buy a tank instead or a car and watch them get out of the way then
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Is Steam Whistle Beer the one that you get free on Air Porter flights ?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

jrhodes is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is then Im booking!

Not sure but the brewery is in Torronto by the hockey stadium. The tour is great fun! - It's a micro brewery but has not yet gone nationwide, last time I heard.

I also remember one more thing I'll miss...

Seeing Reef (who have now reformed) / any of the Gary Stringer and Jack Bessant related bands in concert on a regular basis (Reef, Themisme, StringerBessant)
Old Apr 24th 2011, 1:03 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrhodes
I know everyone gets home sick and all that but does anyone who has been living in Canada for a few years really regret it?

My wife and I are moving out in August, to Ottawa and I have already drawn up a list of things I know I'll miss:

1. Best friends
2. Surf trips to Croyde (With best friends)
3. Drinking Tribute Cornish Ale (While on Surf Trips with best friends)

erm... Now I'm struggling to think...

I know what I am going to like:

Having an insane house on 4+ acres of land for a tiny / F*** all mortgage.
Getting a dog.
Having kids.
working less hours for more money, in real terms.
Skiing a lot in the winter.

And a whole lot more

Who cares if the Canadians dont have good Bitter, they do have Steam Whistle beer which is a close second and is going to be my drink of choice.

Who cares if they don't take any notice of the highway code they may or may not have, I've driven around Compton (South Central L.A. - that was something to see) - Anyway I'm just going to buy a tank instead or a car and watch them get out of the way then
Can't you get a dog and have kids in England?

It's a common misconception that you can get a good house here with no mortgage. Houses here are not as cheap as they were, unless you live in the middle of no where, in a fixer upper.

Why do you think you will work less for more money?
Canadians work long hours with 2 weeks holiday being the minimum (you can negotiate more). Pay is generally less here unless you're in a very good job.

Yes, you can ski. I'm not sure about ski hills in Ontario though.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that was an eye opener. One petrol station I went to only had the posh stuff at £1.50. Ouch....
How much??!!
Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
It's a common misconception that you can get a good house here with no mortgage. Houses here are not as cheap as they were, unless you live in the middle of no where, in a fixer upper.
With part of the money I got from selling my 100 year old 2 bedroomed terraced house in a tatty part of Bristol - part after paying off the mortgage - I could have bought two houses here like the 4 bedroom, detached one I did get, with air conditioning, large drive, garage and big yard. And there would be $30k change. Not a fixer upper, in excellent shape and no mortgage.

The exchange rate was better then but it would still buy it now with about $50k change.

Why do you think you will work less for more money?
I think he said in real terms. I think that means if the mortgage saved is less than the drop in wages, there is more money left for all the other costs.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:15 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
With part of the money I got from selling my 100 year old 2 bedroomed terraced house in a tatty part of Bristol - part after paying off the mortgage - I could have bought two houses here like the 4 bedroom, detached one I did get, with air conditioning, large drive, garage and big yard. And there would be $30k change. Not a fixer upper, in excellent shape and no mortgage.

The exchange rate was better then but it would still buy it now with about $50k change.

I think he said in real terms. I think that means if the mortgage saved is less than the drop in wages, there is more money left for all the other costs.
Fair enough...but you moved to NB, they are moving to Ottawa where it is generally more expensive anyway.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Be honest now, houses are cheap where you live for a reason.

The poster wants to go skiing. In BC 4+ acres within 2 hours drive of whistler with a house you'd actually want to live in would set you back around $1M.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 5:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Be honest now, houses are cheap where you live for a reason.
But I was answering the post that said

And I think the point about "real terms" still stands. Just less obviously so.

I highlighted what the proceeds of a crappy old 2 bed terraced house could buy in NB. Others are, no doubt, selling a higher value home the proceeds of which would be used in parts of Canada not as cheap.

Plenty of folk on these forums have highlighted that they can do a lot in those places with the proceeds of their UK homes. It's not just Atlantaic Canada where Brits are mortgage free or relatively low mortgage.

I'm not sure what you think the reason for cheap housing here is but I'm willing to bet it would be based on the usual misconceptions.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

The average house in, say, Halifax appears to be around C$25000). At today's exchange rate, this works around 155000 Pounds Sterling. Methinks the original poster is either very rich, in which case why would he want to move to Canada -- he could probably find a nice lifestyle in the UK -- or he is living in a dream-world. I don't imagine a ordinary person coming from the UK at this time, and probably under 40 years of age, would have that much money in house equity (he could, as mentioned, be indepentely wealthy, but )like I said, WHY?) For the kids, perhaps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.