Wikiposts

Autumn To Do List

Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:38 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Autumn To Do List

Just received an e-mail from my insurance company, reminding me of the change to Standard Time on Sunday, November 2nd and also reminding me of fall (autumn) chores.

Actually, now that the time changes are taking place later in the autumn and earlier in the spring, the tradition of using the time change as a reminder to do seasonal chores is less effective than it used to be. In many parts of Canada it's too late (and will be too early in the spring) to do these chores. When I lived in Calgary, for example, we drained our outside taps at the beginning of October. But, for what it's worth, here's a list (based on my insurance company's ideas as well as my own).
  • Change the time settings on the clocks around your house (VCR, oven, etc.)

• Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors and test them to make sure they're working.

• Go through your medicine cabinet, and dispose of expired medication. Like changing the batteries in your smoke detectors, this is not a seasonal job as such. But the time change is a good reminder.

• Clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. This is especially important when there are a lot of leaves falling. It will help to prevent damage to your house. It's highly recommended that you repeat this exercise in the late spring, especially if you live in an area that tends to get heavy rain in the early summer. Calgary, for example, often gets a lot of rain in June. If the gutters cannot carry the rainwater far from your house, and if the water overflows next to your house, it can contribute to the flooding of your basement.

• If you live anywhere except coastal British Columbia, drain your outside taps. Somewhere in your house (often in the basement), there is a tap that shuts off the water supply to your outdoor taps. After you have turned off that central tap, go outside and open your outdoor taps. This will allow the little bit of water still in the pipes to drain out. This, in turn, will prevent water from freezing in the pipes, expanding, and bursting the pipes. (As I said before, when I lived in Calgary we did this at the beginning of October. We turned the outdoor water supply back on in early May.)

• Make sure your furnace is working properly. It's a good idea to have it cleaned and inspected by a qualified technician.

• Have your chimney cleaned.

• Ensure you have what you'll need to clear your driveway and sidewalk of snow -- shovels and, in some parts of the country, sand and salt.

• Remove your golf clubs from the trunk (boot). I found that pretty funny. As if someone would need to be told to do this.

• Place a winter safety kit in your trunk. A winter car safety kit usually includes a shovel, ice scraper and brush, booster cables, a blanket, an extra set of gloves, flares, matches, and candles, window washer antifreeze. There is a more comprehensive list in the Wiki article called Winter Driving-Canada.

• Change your windshield wiper blades.

• If you change your tires (tyres) seasonally, a good rule of thumb is to put your winter tires on when the temperature drops to 7° Celsius. Do not mix-and-match tires. If you're going to put on winter tires, put them on all four wheels. There is more comprehensive information in the Wiki article called Winter Driving-Canada.

• If you don't change your tires seasonally, check your tire pressure.

• Check your car's fluids, including the engine, transmission, radiator/cooling system, brakes, battery, window washer, and air conditioner fluids, or take your car to a service station for a winter tune up. Do not pour water into your window washer's reservoir. Use the antifreeze that's designated for window washers. There is a more info in the Wiki article called Winter Driving-Canada.
If good ideas are added and corrections are made to this list, I may turn it into a Wiki article.
x
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:25 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autumn To Do List

god I love living in a condo and not driving. 90% of those jobs don't apply !!

Mine so far have been ..

exchange winter clothes for summer ones in closet
pack away cap , sunglasses and sailing gloves
locate toque , scarf and mits
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:29 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
[*]Remove your golf clubs from the trunk (boot). I found that pretty funny. As if someone would need to be told to do this.
I'm in Kelowna.

That people require reminding of this gold club removal lark is not a surprise. They also require reminding to get up in a morning, get dressed, go to the bathroom etc.

I really don't know how some locals make it through the day. Let alone, winter and it's associated perils.

R.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 7:52 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Great list Judy.

This will be our 4th winter, we haven't drained taps yet, just made sure they were off, guess we'll be looking for a stop cock this weekend

Oh we should all put our crimbo deccies up outside as we could have snow in a minute
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:05 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
[*]If you live anywhere except coastal British Columbia ...
As you'll find out, the Coastal BC version is

* feel smug
* have a glass of wine
* repeat as required.

The only thing I would add is between the beginning of February and the end of November, NEVER miss the opportunity on a dry weekend to cut the lawn.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:28 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We strung out our white Christmas lights along our guttering at the weekend while the weather is still mild (not switched on yet though).

Last year we left it til late November and it was so cold that poor Mr Y-C-D thought his fingers had been smashed between 2 bricks.

That's my top tip (look, fingers and thumbs all okay )
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:30 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
god I love living in a condo and not driving. 90% of those jobs don't apply !!

Mine so far have been ..

exchange winter clothes for summer ones in closet
pack away cap , sunglasses and sailing gloves
locate toque , scarf and mits

Dig your sunglasses back out, you'll need them, especially for driving

Forgot to mention that car windshield washer fluid in Canada DOES NOT get diluted. It's pre-mixed for the season already.

Last edited by Cookie; Oct 29th 2008 at 9:33 am.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:22 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Excellent suggestion and if you don't have a pair of good sunglasses I would suggest you look at Serengeti Drivers.

I found them to be excellent in 30 years of looking out the windows of an airport control tower.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:43 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Excellent suggestion and if you don't have a pair of good sunglasses I would suggest you look at Serengeti Drivers.
Oakleys every time, you peasant.

R.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:45 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Oakleys every time, you peasant.
Oakleys smokleys I'm 61 for chr*st sake I don't wear no Oakleys.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As you'll find out, the Coastal BC version is

* feel smug
* have a glass of wine
* repeat as required.

The only thing I would add is between the beginning of February and the end of November, NEVER miss the opportunity on a dry weekend to cut the lawn.
I've taken this very seriously.....
I'm on round 3, should I stop at some stage

Honestly, I live in downtown Van, don't drive, have an apt and I know the heating works already...!!!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention that car windshield washer fluid in Canada DOES NOT get diluted. It's pre-mixed for the season already.
as mentioned , I don't drive
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
I've taken this very seriously.....
I'm on round 3, should I stop at some stage

Honestly, I live in downtown Van, don't drive, have an apt and I know the heating works already...!!!
Ah, life is good. Have another to celebrate.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 3:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...poor Mr Y-C-D thought his fingers had been smashed between 2 bricks.
I know that feeling. My gloves were fine for wearing while shovelling snow the first two winters but last time my fingertips got really cold really quickly.

I bought some horrible fluorescent rubbery things the other day...hopefully they'll do the trick.

At least if my fingers drop off I should be able to see them - bright orange in the snow.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 4:15 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I bought some horrible fluorescent rubbery things the other day...hopefully they'll do the trick.
WTF.........That got cold too ?

R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.