Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Attending a pot luck - beware

Attending a pot luck - beware

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attending a pot luck - beware

This made me laugh this morning. Of course, it had to be in B.C. :Brownies giving workers a high
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Attending a pot luck - beware

We were invited to a pot luck for a 40th birthday party. So we thought, "OK, that's what they do here, that's fine".

Then we scrolled down the invite to the bit that said "Bring your own booze". Needless to say, we didn't attend.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
We were invited to a pot luck for a 40th birthday party. So we thought, "OK, that's what they do here, that's fine".

Then we scrolled down the invite to the bit that said "Bring your own booze". Needless to say, we didn't attend.
Er, why not? Was the concept of BYOB new to you?
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't dream of going to a party or other such gathering without bringing my own booze. Now, at some family events in Canada, that can be to ensure that I have something worth drinking, but it's the only decent thing to do isn't it?
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I wouldn't dream of going to a party or other such gathering without bringing my own booze. Now, at some family events in Canada, that can be to ensure that I have something worth drinking, but it's the only decent thing to do isn't it?
I'd think taking more than you're going to drink is the decent thing. Even if it is only those cans of domestic beer that exist only to be left at other people's houses.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Not a new concept at all, I always take my own booze to a party.

Seemed a bit lazy and cheap from the hosts' side though to ask you to bring your own booze AND food.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Take the host a nice gift but to have to BYOB seems a bit cheap and tacky to me.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie

One wonders if, in the future, you will be posting about how hard it is to integrate
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
One wonders if, in the future, you will be posting about how hard it is to integrate
Ha ha, we shall see!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

I was invited to a wedding reception and asked to bring our own food and beer. Oh and a gift from their wedding list at the local boutique. The invite came from an expat as well. He integrated quickly into the Canadian way of life! Lol
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

We were invited to a wedding and "respectfully" asked to pay for our own meal at the reception in a hotel and to pay our "share" of the cost of the hall rental/dance band afterwards. We "respectfully" didn't go.
BYOB is common practice at casual parties in Canada but certainly not at weddings although having a cash bar where you pay for your own drinks is pretty much the same thing.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by leith
We were invited to a wedding and "respectfully" asked to pay for our own meal at the reception in a hotel and to pay our "share" of the cost of the hall rental/dance band afterwards. We "respectfully" didn't go.
BYOB is common practice at casual parties in Canada but certainly not at weddings although having a cash bar where you pay for your own drinks is pretty much the same thing.
The weddings I've attended in Canada have been lavish, no cost to guests beyond a gift, blow out parties in grand hotels. I suggest that if one must befriend the locals one should pick Jewish locals.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Is it normal for the Bridesmaids, no not me the wifes daughter, to have to buy her dress, an awful lavender thing $450, pay $250 for a beauty treatment at a spar, pay $150 on the big day for hair and make up. This is the first time I have evr heard of such a thing ???
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:51 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Is it normal for the Bridesmaids, no not me the wifes daughter, to have to buy her dress, an awful lavender thing $450, pay $250 for a beauty treatment at a spa, pay $150 on the big day for hair and make up. This is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing ???
Apparently quite normal for the dress not sure about the other stuff.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Essay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to allEssay is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Is it normal for the Bridesmaids, no not me the wifes daughter, to have to buy her dress, an awful lavender thing $450, pay $250 for a beauty treatment at a spar, pay $150 on the big day for hair and make up. This is the first time I have evr heard of such a thing ???
Yes. As long as the beauty treatment is at a spa ( ).

Or were you asking about the relevance of the pricing? $450 is cheap for a dress no matter what the colour (and it's quite normal to purchase a dress one would never, ever wear again because no amount of dye and/or tailoring would make it workable), $250 is about normal and $150 is below average (unless the beautician is traveling to the site to do everyone's hair/makeup).

Thank you for clarifying the dress etc is not for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.