Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

AOR Oct 2004 ( Yes or No!!)

AOR Oct 2004 ( Yes or No!!)

Old May 28th 2007, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

michellej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOR Oct 2004 ( Yes or No!!)

I have not been on BE for a while but just had to share our experience over the past 3 years.
We started our immigration process in July 2004,our AOR 28th Oct. 2004.Eighteen month's down the line we received delay letters like everyone else seemed to be,update documentation letters were to follow and with these came more long periods of waiting.By Dec. 2006 we reached our all time low,we received our med. req.but all enthusiasm was gone,we'd had enough,we wrote to London immigration and informed them we had decided not to continue the process.We felt like a great weight had been lifted from our shoulders,or so we thought!We had a great Christmas,family and friends were delighted we were staying,friends in CA couldn't believe it,the kids got new tv's,we even treat ourselves to a new big flat screen tv,new motorbike,things we were holding back from buying were flooding into our home.
Then one day towards the end of Jan. 2007 we received a phone call,we were stunned,no communication for 3 years and then contact from a Canadian immigration case worker,my OH spoke to him for a while,said we were not gonna change our minds but their words were "you have come so far" Well that threw a spanner in the works,what were we going to do?
A week or two passed and all we could think & talk about was CA,the pro's & con's,we had to make sure the decision we made was right for the whole family and the final decision had to be made by the end of May or they would close our case.
We eventually came to the decision,we all agreed that this was an opportunity of a lifetime,we remembered why we wanted to do this,it hit us like a brick,what were we doing? We rang back immigration and gave them our final decision,we would still like to carry on.
Within the past month we have had meds,sold our motorbike,one of our car's,our house and at the mo all seems to be running smoothly,removal firm are coming to give us a Quote next week & pencil us in for a date towards the end of June.Once we sign the house over the OH will hand in his notice,we will move into rented and get our flights booked.
It all seems to be moving so fast,we can't wait to get out there,our friends out in Maple Ridge have enrolled the girls into school for Sept. Paul & I have jobs waiting for us.All seems to be going well and we know we will come up against problems along the way but one thing we do know,we are going out with positive thoughts,no matter what we want this to work.
Sorry this a longish thread but I just needed to share this with you guys,

Michelle x
Old May 30th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

simon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud ofsimon876 has much to be proud of
Default Re: AOR Oct 2004 ( Yes or No!!)

Hi Michelle,

An interesting story. I think I can understand how frustrated you must have felt, and I know there are others on the forum who must feel the same at times.

To get your meds request and then consider giving up! Wow, you must have been really down!

I am glad things have turned around for you and the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched back on.

I am sure you will have a great future and a wonderful time. The way we look at it is: "there's one less in the queue".

Keep smiling.

Simon
Old May 30th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

michellej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOR Oct 2004 ( Yes or No!!)

hi Simon,

thanks for your reply,we feel like things are moving so fast for us at the moment,all systems go and i think by the sound of things you are not going to be that far behind.
We have had our up's & down's in the past three years,a right emotional rollercoaster but by what we have read we know are not alone.
Hope all goes well for you and that you move to the top of queue soon,

regards Michelle