Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone sold their house ?

Anyone sold their house ?

Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone sold their house ?

Just wondering as you do, has anyone sold there house in the past few weeks, also are there many viewers out there

Only had 1 couple to view a few weeks ago and nothing since,
The estate agent said its all gone quiet again ( you mean there was a time when it was busy )

We have been on the market for about 4 months, have reduced the house by £40,000 and still nothing,

Agent did say it will pick up in a couple of weeks, so lets hope he is right
There are lots of first time homes being sold but not bigger homes
We did think about doing an open house at Easter, but the agents don't think thats a good idea, said we will just get nosy people and no real buyers

Did think about offering a gardener and cleaner with the house for a year ?
( sure OH won't mind me offering his services for a year )

Any ideas ( besides Oink ) would be appreciated
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

...hmm... is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone sold there house ?

We sold our house late last year (although didn't complete until this year). We had an open house and had about a dozen or so viewers on the day plus a few stragglers over the following weeks. Our buyers were at the open house so whether seeing other interested parties made them offer or not isn't easy to answer although by doing an open house, it was easier to manage rather than just keep the house clean all the time. In terms of potential leads, we found that the open day gave us around 4 second viewings.

I agree that you do get a few nosy people on open days but it may offer an opportunity.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ...hmm...
We sold our house late last year (although didn't complete until this year). We had an open house and had about a dozen or so viewers on the day plus a few stragglers over the following weeks. Our buyers were at the open house so whether seeing other interested parties made them offer or not isn't easy to answer although by doing an open house, it was easier to manage rather than just keep the house clean all the time. In terms of potential leads, we found that the open day gave us around 4 second viewings.

I agree that you do get a few nosy people on open days but it may offer an opportunity.
Thanks for the quick reply hmm ( like the name )
Thats a good point, i do feel like im living in a gold fish bowl and it would be nice to have fish again ,

My only concern is not so much nosey as security ? where we are is pretty rural, I don't mean on the day i mean after ?

Thanks for your input though, so pleased you managed to sell
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

we've had 5 viewings in 2 and a bit weeks, no bites yet tho
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spaceace
we've had 5 viewings in 2 and a bit weeks, no bites yet tho
at least they are getting through the door
any feedback ?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of lightTrophy is a glorious beacon of light

We've now completed on the sale of our house, I fly over to Canada on March 31st and buyers move into house on 16th April.

Took an age to sell, changed estate agents after over a year with them.
We had quite a few viewings through them, but they NEVER showed any enthusiasm in actually selling our house for us. All our viewings were carried out by me, Mandy or both of us. We had to constantly chase them for viewing feedback, spent extra money on advertising with absolutely zero return and eventually agreed to an open house weekend.

We changed agents before the open house weekend, but did find from their website that we were one of over 180 properties being shown over the weekend by these agents, obviously they wouldn't have one of their staff at each property so it was yet another case of "we will charge you to sell your house, but you as the seller must do all of the work."

After we changed estate agents, the new lot were absolutely brilliant, all viewings were accompanied by them, I agreed to cover any second viewings.

The eventual buyer did make a derisory offer for the house, which we obviously refused outright. Following this we had another few viewers who showed a serious interest.
The buyer came back with a more realistic offer, increase of £30,000 over his original offer, which we accepted. All sorted now with missives signed, release forms released, deeds transferred.

Removals arrive on Friday next week to prepack for a day, then return on the following Monday to pack fully and load container the next day.

Sorry for the long post, just to let you know that houses are selling, another of our neighbours has just put their house up for sale, and another house at the end of the street has just sold as well.

Hope some of this has made sense or been helpful to others, if not, please excuse the ramblings.

best of luck to those still selling,

Kev
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Trophy
We've now completed on the sale of our house, I fly over to Canada on March 31st and buyers move into house on 16th April.

Took an age to sell, changed estate agents after over a year with them.
We had quite a few viewings through them, but they NEVER showed any enthusiasm in actually selling our house for us. All our viewings were carried out by me, Mandy or both of us. We had to constantly chase them for viewing feedback, spent extra money on advertising with absolutely zero return and eventually agreed to an open house weekend.

We changed agents before the open house weekend, but did find from their website that we were one of over 180 properties being shown over the weekend by these agents, obviously they wouldn't have one of their staff at each property so it was yet another case of "we will charge you to sell your house, but you as the seller must do all of the work."

After we changed estate agents, the new lot were absolutely brilliant, all viewings were accompanied by them, I agreed to cover any second viewings.

The eventual buyer did make a derisory offer for the house, which we obviously refused outright. Following this we had another few viewers who showed a serious interest.
The buyer came back with a more realistic offer, increase of £30,000 over his original offer, which we accepted. All sorted now with missives signed, release forms released, deeds transferred.

Removals arrive on Friday next week to prepack for a day, then return on the following Monday to pack fully and load container the next day.

Sorry for the long post, just to let you know that houses are selling, another of our neighbours has just put their house up for sale, and another house at the end of the street has just sold as well.

Hope some of this has made sense or been helpful to others, if not, please excuse the ramblings.

best of luck to those still selling,

Kev
Thanks for the great post Kev thats very encouraging
Hope all goes well with the packing and the move on the 31st
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone sold their house ?

We've not sold ours, nothing moving in our area. Have already dropped the price by £50,000 and still no viewings. Smaller houses are selling / renting but the larger houses are struggling. Still going in July whether we have sold or not. Estate agent keeps saying things are improving but not seen anything promising yet.

Goodluck to everyone selling.

Poppit
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:41 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Hi Coffeepot

I really wish you good luck with the house sale... I was in your position this time last yr.

Had my house on the market and was getting lots of viewings there were a few occasions we thought these guys definitely want it they said all the right things made all the right noises when we showed them each room (wow... ) we were sure we would get an offer they all but made us an offer there and then - All of a sudden they would disappear into thin air never to be seen or heard from again.

We couldn't understand it - we thought maybe the agent sent a few mates round or something then we went dual agent and lo and behold the same thing happened Upon questioning them they said its been happening a few times to them

I remember G77 saying to me I should look into renting it out when I first put it on the mkt but I thought its a really nice house it would sell no problem.

The only houses that seem to be selling were under £250k - so now I'm renting and don't have to delay my move any longer

for everyone trying to sell

On a positive note I tried to sell my car last yr and didn't get 1 viewing in 2 weeks - This time round it was only in the Autotrader for 5 days before the first person bought it
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

micknev is an unknown quantity at this point

Read with interest,numerous posts on people selling/wanting to sell property,before emigrating.In view of dire housing market just interested as to why owners are not renting,appreciate some require equity etc,personally we are moving aug/sept this year,and were always renting,both here/canada,just in case move didnt work out,at least had a home to return to.
Just wondered....
Mick
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Having a wee bit of a nightmare with mine just now - Very nice house in a sought after part of the town - Houses before Xmas were selling as soon as the went up but it looks like there is a lull just now .

Houses similar to mine in design and price have all been sitting on the market for 5 weeks or so
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:26 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Having a wee bit of a nightmare with mine just now - Very nice house in a sought after part of the town - Houses before Xmas were selling as soon as the went up but it looks like there is a lull just now .

Houses similar to mine in design and price have all been sitting on the market for 5 weeks or so
5 weeks is a nightmare?!

Try waiting close to 2 years to sell. That tests your patience.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
5 weeks is a nightmare?!

Try waiting close to 2 years to sell. That tests your patience.

I can imagine but the average for this sub division was 12 days and we bought giving 40 days to sell this to give a bit of breathing room .

The breathing room has been squeezed out and I have a 3 week extension to move this before it can start getting expensive .

Looking at this thread again it looks like everyone is talking about moving UK houses - I got the wrong end of the stick ...... again
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Crestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really niceCrestfallen is just really nice

I do think things are starting to pick up, i've seen flats and houses on our estate being put on the market for about £10,000 more than they were a couple of months ago and they do still seem to be selling.

Good luck with your sales everyone.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers for feedback, we need to sell,otherwise we would rent it out as i love my house,

House is over 200 years old and needs constant maintanance also need the money to clear things here and get over there, OH won't get paid anywhere near what he earns here

( please someone remind me why are we moving )

I went to a friends last night for girly night ( yeah bitching ) there was an American lady there i have met a few times, she was very interested in our house, turns out they need a bigger house ( 4 kiddies ) and lots of garden ( ours is just under an acre ) going to invite her for tea

You never know

Smaller homes are selling here still, also quite a few top end sold over the past few months but now nothing ?

Had one viewer who made all the right noises, i think our estate agents were the ones that let that one slip away

Gosh i hope we arent waiting for 2 years to sell this house,

Im sure our homes will sell, people want a change when spring time comes, the daffs are out and the trees will all blossom soon it looks fab then fingers crossed for all of us

So im off to clean and clean again, make it sparkle
is that choc brownie i can smell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.