Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone with Shaw having TV issues?

Anyone with Shaw having TV issues?

Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone with Shaw having TV issues?

Anyone here with Shaw cable and having TV issues?

Our box has been stuck on one channel and so far they haven't been able to resolve the problem, I think it's a defective box as it's given nothing but issues since day 1, but Shaw say's the box is fine.

First time we have had any big issue with Shaw and they are friendly, but been frustrating that it hasn't been resolved and we have to call again to try and get it fixed.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with Shaw having TV issues?

There was some update thing a couple of weekends ago that caused the temporary loss of a couple of channels.

They said something about some receivers not 'taking' the update properly and they had to reset something at their end.

It was done very quickly and for a couple of days we actually gained several extra channels until it went back to normal.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:13 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Anyone here with Shaw cable and having TV issues?
Got rid of the cable due to issues, being expensive and there being FA to watch on there.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There was some update thing a couple of weekends ago that caused the temporary loss of a couple of channels.

They said something about some receivers not 'taking' the update properly and they had to reset something at their end.

It was done very quickly and for a couple of days we actually gained several extra channels until it went back to normal.
I'm with Robbers er I mean Rogers...and I've managed to phone in during those times and got a $20-$30 refund or a credit for pay per view movies. You have to keep these monopolies on their toes.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Just take the box to the Shaw store, say it's not working and they should give you a new one. I've done that with Rogers a couple of times with no problems.
Don't take no for an answer.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 5:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Just take the box to the Shaw store...
Something tells me that might not be so easy.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Just take the box to the Shaw store, say it's not working and they should give you a new one. I've done that with Rogers a couple of times with no problems.
Don't take no for an answer.
Does Shaw even have stores? If they do, we don't have one, but a tech is coming out since they couldn't fix it over the phone, so shall see if the tech can fix it, box is still under warranty, so if its not fixed this time, I'll insist it be replaced when the tech is here, generally they can get things done.

They do have stores, but they have so few and in malls I would never go to, so explains why I have never seen one before. Only 4 in BC.

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Got rid of the cable due to issues, being expensive and there being FA to watch on there.
I agree mostly, but there are a few channels I like that I do watch and would be bored otherwise...lol I really enjoy ID Discovery along with Natgeo.

It's also not much more to have cable vs internet only since they jack the price of internet up when not bundled with another service, savings was only going to be 20 something a month.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 17th 2015 at 6:17 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Does Shaw even have stores? If they do, we don't have one, but a tech is coming out since they couldn't fix it over the phone, so shall see if the tech can fix it, box is still under warranty, so if its not fixed this time, I'll insist it be replaced when the tech is here, generally they can get things done.

They do have stores, but they have so few and in malls I would never go to, so explains why I have never seen one before. Only 4 in BC.

I agree mostly, but there are a few channels I like that I do watch and would be bored otherwise...lol I really enjoy ID Discovery along with Natgeo.

It's also not much more to have cable vs internet only since they jack the price of internet up when not bundled with another service, savings was only going to be 20 something a month.
Will you be watching the NCAA Basketball Championship? SDSU made it.
Old Mar 17th 2015, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oink
Will you be watching the NCAA Basketball Championship? SDSU made it.
No. Not a big sports fan, but good to hear a local university made it...

San Diego isn't a basketball town, so university and high school is as close as you can get to seeing a game in person.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 12:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't had any major issues recently but the Motorola DVRs (the newer small black ones) that Shaw use are total shite, or more accurately, the firmware they insist on using on them is total crap. And to add insult to injury, they force you to buy them.

The number of things that go wrong with it, I started a thread on the Shaw support forum and it wasn't just me. I've never had a single device of any description that doesn't work in so many different ways. I think they should submit it to the Guinness Book of Records. When they shut the Calgary call centre they said it was because they wanted to move everyone to bigger offices so they could "specialize" which translates to me as though there are so many bugs that they have to have special teams to address each problem.

Unfortunately in Calgary, OTA is not an option, but if I lived near the border within reach of their towers, I would just get a TiVo and put up an antenna. When you use a TiVo after using the Shaw DVR it's just SOOOOOO much better. It's an order of magnitude better. Exponentially better.

It takes true dedication and creativity to come up with an electronic device as defective as the Shaw DVRs.

FF - doesn't work properly, loops around which causes the video to jump backwards;
Scheduled recording - randomly doesn't work, because the TV guide isn't kept up-to-date;
DVR resumes playing after random period on pause, used to be 10 minutes now it's random;
Menu freezes, can only be fixed by pulling the plug and rebooting;
Firmware updates can fail and this can be only be solved by a hard reset;
Channels you should have access to sometimes don't appear on the menu;
MP4 playback can stutter because their codec appears to be shit;
Clock sometimes decides it is on pacific time rather than mountain;

And those are just the ones I can think of to begin with...
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_
I haven't had any major issues recently but the Motorola DVRs (the newer small black ones) that Shaw use are total shite, or more accurately, the firmware they insist on using on them is total crap. And to add insult to injury, they force you to buy them.

The number of things that go wrong with it, I started a thread on the Shaw support forum and it wasn't just me. I've never had a single device of any description that doesn't work in so many different ways. I think they should submit it to the Guinness Book of Records. When they shut the Calgary call centre they said it was because they wanted to move everyone to bigger offices so they could "specialize" which translates to me as though there are so many bugs that they have to have special teams to address each problem.

Unfortunately in Calgary, OTA is not an option, but if I lived near the border within reach of their towers, I would just get a TiVo and put up an antenna. When you use a TiVo after using the Shaw DVR it's just SOOOOOO much better. It's an order of magnitude better. Exponentially better.

It takes true dedication and creativity to come up with an electronic device as defective as the Shaw DVRs.

FF - doesn't work properly, loops around which causes the video to jump backwards;
Scheduled recording - randomly doesn't work, because the TV guide isn't kept up-to-date;
DVR resumes playing after random period on pause, used to be 10 minutes now it's random;
Menu freezes, can only be fixed by pulling the plug and rebooting;
Firmware updates can fail and this can be only be solved by a hard reset;
Channels you should have access to sometimes don't appear on the menu;
MP4 playback can stutter because their codec appears to be shit;
Clock sometimes decides it is on pacific time rather than mountain;

And those are just the ones I can think of to begin with...
We too have the Motorola and it's a pain in the rear end for sure, damn thing doesn't work and annoys me to no end.

Our's has done what you have described more then once, clearly it is the box or their software they just don't want to admit it apparently.

We too can't access OTA as we are too from both the border for US stations and too far from Vancouver with too many mountains in the way to get Vancouver stations, can't get any radio here either except the less the ideal local Rogers owned station.

We looked into Telus, but they wanted a stupid big deposit, and wouldn't do any promotions as you don't qualify for the free stuff if they want a deposit but still want you to sign a contract, so we are stuck with Shaw since nobody else offers service.