Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember this?

Anyone remember this?

Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone remember this?

I would have dragged up the four year old thread and posted there, but I can't as it was closed - but anyone remember this?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376038

I got an interesting PM today from the OP of that thread (he's back with the username "seabass_the_return"). He informed me that he never paid the fine, has been back to Canada six times and has had no problem. Lucky him!

The reason for my post though, is that very recently my own son found himself in the very same situation. He had an outstanding traffic ticket (about a year old), which was probably due to a combination of "I'm a broke-ass student" (his words...lol) and forgetfulness - he's a good kid. Anyway, it had been a year so the late charges piled up, PLUS he found out that there was a warrant out for his arrest. Had he not paid the fine (and late fees), the next time he had the misfortune to have dealings with the law and they ran his details - he would have been arrested.

So, if nothing else, there is the answer for those who were curious as to what actually does happen in the real world (at least in this instance).
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone remember this?

Hes not back no more.

PM ing a mod to say your back after previous bannings (which were before my time FWIW) would have been pretty dumb, but CO beat me to the punch anyway as he was also pretending to be someone else on a different sub forum under yet another user name!

Some people have too much time on their hands I guess...

Anyway, interesting about your kid (and sucky for him!), I suppose your status here and what you try and do while in canada with an outstanding ticket makes a difference.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2010 at 10:15 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Hes not back no more.

PM ing a mod to say your back after previous bannings (which were before my time FWIW) would have been pretty dumb, but CO beat me to the punch anyway as he was also pretending to be someone else on a different sub forum under yet another user name!

Some people have too much time on their hands I guess...

Anyway, interesting about you kid (and sucky for him!), I suppose your status here and what you try and do while in canada with an outstanding ticket makes a difference.
LOL - I love how Karma works its magic, it may take a while and we may not always get to witness it, but it usually does

(Son is ok, it went away with the payment - but good to know and lesson learned )
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to see how some user names have changed over the years.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to the OP in the linked thread, I think sometimes good people are left with no choice but to flee when faced with unfair fines like that. I would never judge anyone based on such an action.

I myself was scammed out of 700 pounds whilst in the UK with Paypal, when they refunded someone who I sold a TV to despite the fact I had proof of delivery and tons of supporting documentation. I had already withdrawn the money, so it became a debt that I left behind. Last time I tried logging in it said the account was suspended anyway, so I guess they probably just wrote it off as a loss.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
In regards to the OP in the linked thread, I think sometimes good people are left with no choice but to flee when faced with unfair fines like that. I would never judge anyone based on such an action.

I myself was scammed out of 700 pounds whilst in the UK with Paypal, when they refunded someone who I sold a TV to despite the fact I had proof of delivery and tons of supporting documentation. I had already withdrawn the money, so it became a debt that I left behind. Last time I tried logging in it said the account was suspended anyway, so I guess they probably just wrote it off as a loss.
I agree, if he got away with it then good luck to the lad. And, as Thoreau maintains, civil disobedience of unjust laws is not only morally justifiable, its your solemn duty.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I agree, if he got away with it then good luck to the lad. And, as Thoreau maintains, civil disobedience of unjust laws is not only morally justifiable, its your solemn duty.
But he also said "After the first blush of sin comes its indifference".

You'd know all about that.