Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone receiving royalty payments?

Anyone receiving royalty payments?

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone receiving royalty payments?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am sure that many widget inventors do.
Wouldn't an audit potentially find out that said desk and computer only exist so that taxes could be avoided fraudulently?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:11 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Wouldn't an audit potentially find out that said desk and computer only exist so that taxes could be avoided fraudulently?
How about if he called himself an inventor? That's a bit like writing.

The serious point being that it is difficult to audit creative activity. As long as the creative person has the minimum equipment for their craft, (which in most cases won't be more than a pencil and a piece of paper) it isn't really possible to say their business has ended. I don't know how tax offices treat this problem, or if they try to.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes. Not everybody is completely honest when they fill out their tax returns. The chances of being audited out of the blue are small.

I don`t mind people being aggressive in their claims for deductions but making things up is going too far. Yet people still do it. And some get caught.

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't know how tax offices treat this problem, or if they try to.
On the basis of reasonableness. In an audit the CRA might want to see some evidence of activity. The widget inventor could say that they spent hours each day on new designs but, so far, have not been successful. Also that they shredded all their drawings and notes each day to ensure that competitors did not steal them.

It is then up to the auditor to decide wither the explanation is reasonable. If they decide the explanation is not reasonable then the expenses are denied up till the time the taxpayer can prove they were legitimate.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
How about if he called himself an inventor? That's a bit like writing.

The serious point being that it is difficult to audit creative activity. As long as the creative person has the minimum equipment for their craft, (which in most cases won't be more than a pencil and a piece of paper) it isn't really possible to say their business has ended. I don't know how tax offices treat this problem, or if they try to.
You have misunderstood me. I'm not suggesting dishonesty. Just pointing out that creative people rarely give up being creative. Very few writers, for example, say "OK, I'm retiring. I'm never going to write another book"

JD Salinger, for example, published his last novel in 1965, when he was in his early 40's. He didn't die until 2010. I don't suppose there was any point he told the IRS that he'd given up being a writer. That's not fraud, just writer's block.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

ralphster is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting discussions folks.

What about the case where you are still proactively marketing the same works year on year (in my case, music compositions). I guess that would not be passive royalties?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:16 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by ralphster
Interesting discussions folks.

What about the case where you are still proactively marketing the same works year on year (in my case, music compositions). I guess that would not be passive royalties?
Canada revenue have a page on the reporting of royalties, and do allow for associated expenses:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...rylts-eng.html
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has just reminded me that I was a co-author on a small scale publication book many years ago, and I am probably owed some royalties. I need to check that out!