Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever use one of those winter lamps?

Anyone ever use one of those winter lamps?

Old Nov 19th 2015, 4:59 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone ever use one of those winter lamps?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've got a UVB light over the bearded dragon, but it doesn't reflect into the room, so likely doesn't benefit me....lol.....

The fish lights produce a nice daylight, but they are just LED's so nothing beneficial to anyone but the plants.
I hope that you arent referring to your beloved there..
Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I hope that you arent referring to your beloved there..
No, no.....

It's a young lizard I received from someone unable to care for it and it became ill. I had more reptiles as a kid/teen then I can count, and was asked to take it in, so I did. With some TLC, a bit of force feeding, it is now healthier, and growing, up to 30g and more each day.....

I had a mini-zoo as a kid though.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:38 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

No, no.....

It's a young lizard I received from someone unable to care for it and it became ill. I had more reptiles as a kid/teen then I can count, and was asked to take it in, so I did. With some TLC, a bit of force feeding, it is now healthier, and growing, up to 30g and more each day.....

I had a mini-zoo as a kid though.
I knew what it was really, I was only joshing! Good for you for rescuing the little fella though- just hope he doesn't get too big until one day you cannot find Charleee ...."HIPSTERRRRRR! Is that a collar sticking out of your mouth??!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Aeneid is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Anyone ever use one of those winter lamps?

That are supposed to help raise mood in the winter? Like this one.. Amazon.com: NatureBright SunTouch Plus Light and Ion Therapy Lamp (package may vary): Health & Personal Care They say not to use if bipolar so would have to keep it off when my wife is home, but I have a really hard time in winter keeping mood up and finding enough energy to stay awake, and I've seen this before, just not sure if they are of any real help, or if they would do much if only used a few days a week when my wife isn't home. Just curious if anyone has used them before and what they may have experienced.
I know this thread is kind of old but I feel compelled to reply.There are too many ignorant comments of"just change the lightbulb" and "walk the dog more". I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and it can be debilitating;mood swings, uncontrollable crying, depression, inability toconcentrate and carb cravings. A SAD lamp (and antidepressants as winterprogresses) is a necessity for me and so I have come to know a lot about them. I can only survive winter if I use the SAD lamp and antidepressants in conjunction. SAD lamps are typically 10,000 lux as this is how much light isrequired to hit the optic nerve in order to cause an increase in serotoninlevels. The blue spectrum in particular is important and has been proven inscientific studies to have the greatest effect re affecting serotonin levels.You get what you pay for with SAD lamps, so those that are cheap (£30-£40) areusually fitted with a blue tinged case which does not have the same effect asreceiving the blue spectrum through a 10,000 lux light source, or they are simply not bright enough. Simply going for a brighter light bulb is not going to haveany effect hence “just change thelightbulb” is a pointless and unhelpful comment. Anyone who feels a little low in the winter months would benefitfrom 1 hour of SAD lamp use in the morning, either every day or once a week. Simplyexposing yourself to more daylight is going to have little to no effect as theamount of light hitting the optic nerve is too dim to be of any effect whichrenders “walk the dog more” also unhelpful. If you do go on to purchase a SAD lamp, they are often VAT exemptas they are medical devices; some websites simply require you to tick a box for the VAT exemption.