Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone else miss what I miss?

Anyone else miss what I miss?

Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else miss what I miss?

Originally Posted by dbd33
The name's inconsistent across Ontario; Loblaws, Zehrs, Fortinos.
And in Newfoundland: Dominion
Old Apr 19th 2011, 1:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
And in Newfoundland: Dominion
I could multiquote, but whatever. They're all the same shop.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:03 am
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

I spend ages looking through packets of bacon to find the leanest package - we are trying to eat healthier but so much nowadays is fat laden. I have started to buy the turkey bacon as it tastes not bad and has low fat levels.

I miss good thick chips, yes chips, not fries as they are called here, like out the Viking chip shop in Largs. I enjoy the fish, it is pretty good here both haddock and cod, I even like the Tilapia (sp!)

Chocolate - real chocolate, yes I might not like fatty bacon, but I like the full cream British chocolate, not European.

Rhubarb and ginger jam - not jelly! - my mum just brought me two jars over - I will savour them

Picked onion crisps - not chips!! and yes, my mum brought me over 4 six packs, just had one, yummy

Square sausages, wee willie winkies for the kids, plain Scottish bread, lurpark butter, scottish cheddar cheese.

Yes, we can get many of these items either in the British store or Loblaws etc, but I hardly buy them - yes I might miss them, but I have so many new things to try
Old Apr 19th 2011, 3:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No1_mom
I spend ages looking through packets of bacon to find the leanest package
Maple Leaf usually has most meat. Reflected in the price too but it's on offer quite a bit. Often available cheaply in Shoppers DrugMart.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh FFS both teams are worse than Blackpool Reserves. How can you possibly watch such crap?

Oh, and Loblaws is still called Loblaws around here.
Blackpool reserves? I find that the football in MLS isn't too bad, and at least you can see that the players are playing for the enjoyment of the game, and just running onto the pitch for another appearance fee (hello Torres). Beckham and Henry are exceptions to the rule there.

But if you take the time to go to/watch a Whitecaps game you should be pleasantly surprised. Especially as you consider they are a brand new franchise in their first year in MLS. Sometimes you have to look beyond the obvious and appreciated it for what it is.. good honest football.

In a few years time they will probably all be over paid spoilt brats like most of them are in Europe.. so take this time to enjoy it while you can.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The name's inconsistent across Ontario; Loblaws, Zehrs, Fortinos.
No Frills..
Your Independent
Valu-Mart
etc etc

Comprehensive list here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loblaw_Companies
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else miss what I miss?-loblaws.jpg  

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2011 at 4:41 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:39 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Blackpool reserves? I find that the football in MLS isn't too bad, and at least you can see that the players are playing for the enjoyment of the game,
I figure they were trying their best to catch the eye of a European team. Few succeed. Its about Mid table championship fare at best. The atmosphere is different though.

Struggling with the concept of "healthy bacon" to be honest. I figure the best you can do is cook it till its crispy and hope most of the fat has gone by then. "Can only help slimming as part of a calorie controlled diet" applies.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 19th 2011 at 4:43 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Blackpool reserves? I find that the football in MLS isn't too bad, and at least you can see that the players are playing for the enjoyment of the game, and just running onto the pitch for another appearance fee (hello Torres). Beckham and Henry are exceptions to the rule there.

But if you take the time to go to/watch a Whitecaps game you should be pleasantly surprised. Especially as you consider they are a brand new franchise in their first year in MLS. Sometimes you have to look beyond the obvious and appreciated it for what it is.. good honest football.

In a few years time they will probably all be over paid spoilt brats like most of them are in Europe.. so take this time to enjoy it while you can.
Of course, I've yet to see the Whitecaps, but I've been to several TFC home matches at the BMO. For the first couple of seasons the crowd atmosphere was excellent and I was willing to forgive the woeful standard of football (by both teams).

But gradually it got me down. Just not worth the trouble to attend in person and certainly not worth watching on TV.

Give it a while and I bet you'll come to agree with me.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 4:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its about Mid table championship fare at best.
Nothing wrong with mid-table Championship football. It is more about fans supporting their local team than following the latest gazillionaires in need of a tax loss trying to outbid each other for a very small pool of players with actual talent. And, IMO, more enjoyable for that.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Nothing wrong with mid-table Championship football. It is more about fans supporting their local team than following the latest gazillionaires in need of a tax loss trying to outbid each other for a very small pool of players with actual talent. And, IMO, more enjoyable for that.
It was an observation more than a criticism.

I still think most MLS players would take a transfer to a 1st or 2nd tier European team in a heartbeat, but thats no criticism either.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

If you want lean bacon, go to your local specialty butcher and get it done properly. For anyone in Vancouver, Granville Island's Oyama =

http://www.oyamasausage.ca/oyama_sausage_company.html
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
If you want lean bacon, go to your local specialty butcher and get it done properly. For anyone in Vancouver, Granville Island's Oyama =

Oh you metro sophisticates. No such thing as a speciality butcher here.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Of course, I've yet to see the Whitecaps, but I've been to several TFC home matches at the BMO. For the first couple of seasons the crowd atmosphere was excellent and I was willing to forgive the woeful standard of football (by both teams).

But gradually it got me down. Just not worth the trouble to attend in person and certainly not worth watching on TV.

Give it a while and I bet you'll come to agree with me.
Regretfully, I agree. I watched a few Whitecap games on the telly, was even given half a season of a free season ticket but the woeful standard is too woeful and ultimately too depressing. There's no doubting their enthusiasm but its like watching football in the park. A lot of running about and shouting but **** all else.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee

Their bacon is just okay, their sausages are great. I get the Danish lightly smoked bacon from the Italian deli next to Oyamas, now thats the bollox.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I went to the Whitecaps-Toronto game and have seen a couple on TV. It's not bad, but not something I could get into every week, like in the UK. Bottom of championship/top league 1 is my guess of the standard. Technically it's OK, but seems a bit slow and lack of pressure/marking means it's generally pretty open (not always a bad thing, just an observation). There are some decent players, but the majority are journeyman or would only cut it in the lower English leagues.

Very Rah-rah N. American crowd, but lacking in knowledge. Girls behind me, didn't even know how long the game was played for. The history/culture of the game in the UK makes a huge difference to the experience. It needs time to bed in and develop here. they also need to lose the ridiculous N. American system of letting half the teams compete in the play-offs and thereby devaluing the regular season.

Still it's better than the USL. That was conference standard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.