Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone driven or own a 'Dodge Nitro' SUV?

Anyone driven or own a 'Dodge Nitro' SUV?

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Crash7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone driven or own a 'Dodge Nitro' SUV?

As the title suggests has anyone driven or owned a Dodge Nitro? Are they any good? Are Dodge any good in general?

I'm interested in..,

Resale value
Economy MPG's
Reliability
Spares & repair

Any info appreciated :-)
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:13 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone driven or own a 'Dodge Nitro' SUV?

Been a passenger in one on several occasions. My BiL is a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler salesman and has one as company car. Reasonably roomy, quite powerful and you either like or hate the looks. Not 'trail rated' in the same way as the jeep liberty (with which it shares a platform) but some 4wd capability. Because it's a Dodge, build quality is likely to be so-so and fuel economy for the 3.7V6 not brilliant. (I used to get only 16l per 100km from a 3.7L Liberty.) If I wanted one I'd lease it over a short (36 mth) time period so I could give it back before things started to fall off!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:50 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Been a passenger in one on several occasions. My BiL is a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler salesman and has one as company car. Reasonably roomy, quite powerful and you either like or hate the looks. Not 'trail rated' in the same way as the jeep liberty (with which it shares a platform) but some 4wd capability. Because it's a Dodge, build quality is likely to be so-so and fuel economy for the 3.7V6 not brilliant. (I used to get only 16l per 100km from a 3.7L Liberty.) If I wanted one I'd lease it over a short (36 mth) time period so I could give it back before things started to fall off!
We looked at one last year. The salesman told us it had been developed because the Liberty was viewed as a woman's car and they wanted something more masculine. It does indeed have many bits in common with the Liberty.

I was told by another dealer that its way better to buy a slightly used "Asian" car than a real North American one.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:56 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We looked at one last year. The salesman told us it had been developed because the Liberty was viewed as a woman's car and they wanted something more masculine. It does indeed have many bits in common with the Liberty.

I was told by another dealer that its way better to buy a slightly used "Asian" car than a real North American one.
So you're saying I drive a woman's car? Bloody cheek coming from a Shitfire passenger!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm, thanks, makes interesting reading.

I am basically looking for a mid-size SUV that is 4x4, it doesnt have to be awesome off road, but capable of dealing with the worst Alberta can throw at it during the winter and be able to get me up a snowy hill on a powder day. As well being able to tackle mountain roads and tracks for camping and mountain biking

Can anyone recommend anything?

I was leaning towards the American market due to value for money but if reliability etc is rubbish, perhaps German is the way to go? VW or BMW?

Comments?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Crash7

I am basically looking for a mid-size SUV that is 4x4, it doesnt have to be awesome off road, but capable of dealing with the worst Alberta can throw at it during the winter and be able to get me up a snowy hill on a powder day. As well being able to tackle mountain roads and tracks for camping and mountain biking

I was leaning towards the American market due to value for money but if reliability etc is rubbish, perhaps German is the way to go? VW or BMW?

Comments?

How about a mule?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
So you're saying I drive a woman's car? Bloody cheek coming from a Shitfire passenger!
I'm only repeating what the Dodge salesman said.

My trips in the Shitfire are becoming less common. We don't use it for much other than grocery shopping these days. Souvette has taken to using the bus to go to work because of the gas price. She's not great at maths.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Comments?
We are Albertan skiers and IMHO you do need an AWD. We have a Mistibushi Outlander which we like a lot, but it may not do the off-road stuff you want to do. Gravel roads are fine , but its not a serious off-roader. It is 3.0L and is relatively fuel economic as far as canadian cars go. Has a good fold down back tailgate to sit on to do ski boots. As I understand VWs are made in Mexico and do not have the same reliability as German made ones. No idea about BMW, presume you are talking a lot more money?

How are you going to transport your bikes? On the roof? Is a Nitro extra high making that tricky?

Gryph
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Ontario snowbelt and drive a VW. It copes well with the weather but it's difficult and time consuming to get it serviced. I suggest a leased Ford Escape.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:16 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am basically looking for a mid-size SUV that is 4x4, it doesnt have to be awesome off road, but capable of dealing with the worst Alberta can throw at it during the winter and be able to get me up a snowy hill on a powder day. ?
My experience is that snow tyres make a bigger difference than 4x4, I currently run two cars an Escape 2.0l manual with full 4x4 and a 2.0l manual focus.
In the winter in snow the focus will outperform the escape in all conditions except deep snow..
So if its the worst your expecting then go 4x4 and don’t forget to get the snow tyres
And a tip form my Canadian relatives only use 2 wheel drive, when your stuck then put it in 4x4 ……. ‘Cus if you get stuck in 4x4, nobodies coming in to help
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Consider a Subaru Forester in lieu of a Nitro? Permanent AWD capability, better driving dynamics and economy. Seems cheap enough to lease/finance.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:57 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

As the title suggests has anyone driven or owned a Dodge Nitro? Are they any good? Are Dodge any good in general?

I'm interested in..,

Resale value
Economy MPG's
Reliability
Spares & repair

Any info appreciated :-)
It's a Chrysler, enough said.
Get a copy of the Lemon Aid Guide, this will give you a run down.
Resale on domestic vehicles is not that great.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

As the title suggests...
The title suggests it's an SUV. It's not. By Canadian standards, or at least BC standards, it's a ladies shopping cart.

R.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replys, I was beginning to wonder if I could get away with not having an SUV/AWD but the last thing I would want is not being able to board due to not being able to get to the hill, particularly the smaller less commercial ones, Castle Mountain, Fernie, Golden etc – Thanks for confirming

The servicing of European SUV was also a concern, in regards to availability and cost, hence the initial lean towards an American wagon!

Cheers for the info on the VW, Focus and Escape and the recommendations - I will check them out!!

Any other suggestions?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:10 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replys, I was beginning to wonder if I could get away with not having an SUV/AWD but the last thing I would want is not being able to board due to not being able to get to the hill, particularly the smaller less commercial ones, Castle Mountain, Fernie, Golden etc – Thanks for confirming

The servicing of European SUV was also a concern, in regards to availability and cost, hence the initial lean towards an American wagon!

Cheers for the info on the VW, Focus and Escape and the recommendations - I will check them out!!

Any other suggestions?
Check out the Toyota Rav4, a crossover 4 x 4. You can also (and should) carry chains in mountain regions. Import vehicles don't cost more to service than domestics, parts are comparable. Insurance may vary between domestic and import. Depreciation is slower on most imports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.