Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone been scammed by their removal company?

Anyone been scammed by their removal company?

Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:39 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone been scammed by their removal company?

I am awaiting my gear at the end of the month but so far Miranda at Tippett and Richardson in Calgary has been great. Foxs Removals Romford Depot I think were ok, very nice young men came to pack and worked hard but there was a wee bit of confusion at the end - but nothing major. I will tell you how I get on when I get everything - 4k for a 20 foot container by the way. If everything gets here in reasonable condition I would definitely recommend Foxs but you never know so I won't count me chickens......

However - is there some sort of poll that we can set up/run with happiness of customer for removals naming the main removal companies in the UK and Canada? If you know what I mean? Then it would be easy to refernce the outcome and really quite scary bad publicity for the companies who are shite?

Just a thought.

Hope you are all well this summers evening
Mrs Miggins x
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mrs M
A running log of the good, the bad and the ugly sounds a great idea.
I'm still seething at our removal company, and debating resorting to 'I know where you live'. Will gladly name and shame when this is over!

From the other (OK) Mrs M

PS Does this mean that you'll soon be joined by the Burton Bunch as neighbours - well the outstanding two laggards still in Manchester?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays

PS Does this mean that you'll soon be joined by the Burton Bunch as neighbours - well the outstanding two laggards still in Manchester?
Oi you

Yes it does

Mrs M is in temp accom at the mo not far from mine. Think it is about 3 and a bit weeks now

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Name and shame now! Save anybody else having grief who's about to look at moving.

For our part, we used Whites' who were great. Three guys took a day to empty our house into a removal truck then the next morning they went across town to get some of our items from storage. All very quick and professional. They then unloaded everything from the truck into a container at their depot.

Can't remember the name of the company who unloaded at this end, but again, they were very helpful (put furniture together and even offered to put things in cupboards, etc!) and very quick. Only complaint was that they left a few blades lying around that they used for opening the boxes, but apart from that everything was hunky dory - no breakages and nothing missing.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

kimber is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to canada in April 2007 and paid for a 20ft container to be shipped from the uk to canada. we paid for wrap and pack in the uk and unwrap and unpack in canada, well we did not get this, we was promised our container would come with a locked seal on it, but what turned up with our goods? a removal lorry, not a container we paid for, no seal on it and when i asked the company why, they said it had a inspection by customs, but i asked for proof of this and they have not given any proof, i am still waiting for answers from this removal company, it has been over 5 months now and nothing, i am so upset with this company.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Who did you use?
We tried both UK and Canadian 'trade associations' and consumer bodies and they were pretty toothless and useless. They could negotiate on our behalf and log our complaint but nothing else. We ended up getting a fraction of what we were scammed out of back as a 'goodwill gesture'.

Friends of ours are staying with us at the moment. Their stuff is due to be delivered to their new home on Monday. It turned up here yesterday 'by mistake' - the whole container! We sent it back and they then tried to scam them for $800 (the same figure we were conned out of -strange eh?) as they needed the container so it would have to be repacked into another truck....

Grrr!

Rant over!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Hi
Who did you use?
We tried both UK and Canadian 'trade associations' and consumer bodies and they were pretty toothless and useless. They could negotiate on our behalf and log our complaint but nothing else. We ended up getting a fraction of what we were scammed out of back as a 'goodwill gesture'.

Friends of ours are staying with us at the moment. Their stuff is due to be delivered to their new home on Monday. It turned up here yesterday 'by mistake' - the whole container! We sent it back and they then tried to scam them for $800 (the same figure we were conned out of -strange eh?) as they needed the container so it would have to be repacked into another truck....

Grrr!

Rant over!
what country was it being delivered to? Ours was canada. I have complained to the BAR, but nothing yet.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi
Our stuff was being delivered to Kelowna, BC.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

As Ben has mentioned on another thread some of our dvds were missing from the cases. we reckon that they thought we wouldn't complain due to the "adult" nature of the dvds.

what annoyed me the most , apart from light fingered packers , was the fact that we had to go through and check every sin gle dvd case. no mean feat when your collection numbers in the hundreds.

oh we went with pickfords in the uk. the major selling point was that they told us we would only be dealing with one company as they were worldwide.

rubbish they farmed us of onto a third party in canada
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure Customs didn't remove them - I can't remember if you had your container inspected in the end or not?

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
As Ben has mentioned on another thread some of our dvds were missing from the cases. we reckon that they thought we wouldn't complain due to the "adult" nature of the dvds.

what annoyed me the most , apart from light fingered packers , was the fact that we had to go through and check every sin gle dvd case. no mean feat when your collection numbers in the hundreds.

oh we went with pickfords in the uk. the major selling point was that they told us we would only be dealing with one company as they were worldwide.

rubbish they farmed us of onto a third party in canada
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Are you sure Customs didn't remove them - I can't remember if you had your container inspected in the end or not?
I was told by the removal company that my container had a back end inspection thats why it turned up in a removal lorry, but i was promised by the uk company that it would turn up in a sealed container (which it didn't) i have asked for proof of back end inspection, but no one has come up with it and it has been 5 months, my complaint is i paid the uk company 5200.00 english pounds for a service i was not given or promised, so i feel i should have some sort of compensation returned to me, i have been treated terrible by this company and they was nice to me when i handed my money over, but not anymore. Also in the Contract of the company it does state that if an inspection is done, then we would be liable for the charges of this, but we was not given any extra charges, we also had something missing and i tried to claim for this, but the company did not come back to me with my certificate number for my insurance.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
Can you people who have had bad experiences PM me with the names of the companies? I'm about to book today and don't want to make a mistake!
Help, got mine coming on Tuesday, can you name the bad guys?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Been very anxious over this; now I'm close to a panic attack.
Does nothing go smoothly?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I used Doree Bonner and aside from a box of DVDs apparently turning into a car parcel shelf on its way across the Atlantic, I can't make any real complaints. They were five hours late turning up to pack my stuff, didn't repack stuff that I'd temporarily put into crappy crisp boxes from the corner shop (which were falling apart by the time they got here), never responded to emails, and took two weeks longer than estimated to deliver, but the things I sent appear to have arrived here intact and, at the end of the day, I guess that's what we want. It could have been a smoother process, but it certainly wasn't an experience from Hell.

I still don't understand the car shelf thing, as I've gone through all the DVDs that arrived and so far none appear to be missing. In fact, from my brief search through the boxes that arrived I appear to have everything that I shipped out, so I've no idea what happened to the 'missing' box or where the car shelf came from! Maybe I'll spot something when I completely unpack them.

Oh, and the Tippet Richardson people at this end were great; no complaints at all about them.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimber
I was told by the removal company that my container had a back end inspection thats why it turned up in a removal lorry, but i was promised by the uk company that it would turn up in a sealed container (which it didn't) i have asked for proof of back end inspection, but no one has come up with it and it has been 5 months, my complaint is i paid the uk company 5200.00 english pounds for a service i was not given or promised, so i feel i should have some sort of compensation returned to me, i have been treated terrible by this company and they was nice to me when i handed my money over, but not anymore. Also in the Contract of the company it does state that if an inspection is done, then we would be liable for the charges of this, but we was not given any extra charges, we also had something missing and i tried to claim for this, but the company did not come back to me with my certificate number for my insurance.
NAME AND SHAME! :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.