Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Any IT Support people out there?

Any IT Support people out there?

Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any IT Support people out there?

Originally Posted by clynnog
So if I look in southern Ontario, I'm likely to run into a David Brent type character?
Absolutely. We're everywhere.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caitilin
I've done it support for some years - i'm now doing customer service/it support for large banks in a specific antifraude/anti money laundering package.

I see me having two options this year. Get into SQL and htat side of it, or carry on my merry way and work on my mcse and be a microsoft stooge for the rest of my life.

Any idea which is more likely to get me a reasonable job?

Cheers
Deb
hows it all going Deb have you put in your police check yet, will PM you later
have you moved yet ?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

snuck on for two minutes...my life is chaos. Got a good pile to ebay, but the size of hte pile of stuff I still have to take is too large to handle reasonably as one person as baggage on a an airline.

Maybe excess baggage companyable though! Sat at 9.30 i have a little man with a van helping me. I still get to do a good deal of lifting,so every box is calculated to deb-strenght, nto man-strenght.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caitilin
snuck on for two minutes...my life is chaos. Got a good pile to ebay, but the size of hte pile of stuff I still have to take is too large to handle reasonably as one person as baggage on a an airline.

Maybe excess baggage companyable though! Sat at 9.30 i have a little man with a van helping me. I still get to do a good deal of lifting,so every box is calculated to deb-strenght, nto man-strenght.
Its all your books and soap stuff
good luck with Ebay, remember better to get rid of it than take it with you

hows all the other 45 day stuff going,
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

haven't even started till after the move. Refusing to as well until after hte move.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
East not sure yet like you depends on job, OH is mainly finance background,
usually works at Canary Warf but now back in the city, wherever his contracts are, this one has been 2 years so far so not bad, they are all contractors there so quite good to each other and he likes the job.

We are about to put the house on the market as soon as a few jobs are completed, had a lot of wind damage last couple of weeks
and sell the cars, we are taking 3 dogs as well as 6 year old sorry 7 next week

Taxes are like our council tax only a lot more, we will rent for a while anyway as its a lot more expensive to move there from what i have seen, realtors are expensive.

We want to go this year and the jobs are there its all dependant on money and selling this house really, need a permanat job not contracting because of fast tracking PR

We were in Ottawa at Easter last year and liked what was there plenty to do and good affordable housing, plus skiing and ice skating all the outdoor winter things you can think of and more,
Kanata seems to have a lot of I.T. jobs going
so will depend on getting out there again i think. We have commitments here so need to be near for flights,
(COFFEEPOT)

So you're going to get a job offer to fasttrack your application? How do you know you'll get one this year...?? (I may have misunderstood your intentions - you said the jobs are there and you want to go this year...)? Hope it all works out for you :-)

What part of the East are you looking to settle in? We're also considering Ottawa as a last-resort / third option (after NB / NS) as property there is still just about within our grasp and I think IT jobs might be a bit easier to get hold of there... We listen to BOB FM on our internet radio and have heard of Kanata (in the 'Kanata Ford' adverts, haha) ;-)

Hope you got your property mended - bloody British weather eh..

We sold our dogs before Xmas as we can't afford to take them over with us - I was gutted :-(

Back to the property taxes bit (without wanting to hijack the thread of anything...!) roughly how much (%) does one pay? Is it a % of your house's value, even if you bought it outright (i.e. have no mortgage)?

Thanks,

Anita
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
Back to the property taxes bit (without wanting to hijack the thread of anything...!) roughly how much (%) does one pay? Is it a % of your house's value, even if you bought it outright (i.e. have no mortgage)?
It's a percentage of the value of the house as estimated by the government. It doesn't vary with the % of house owned. How much it is depends on the value of the house and the rate that year, the rate in turn depends on the services offered by the local council (some provide garbage pick up, some free swimming pools etc.). It's unlikely to less than a couple of grand a year.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a percentage of the value of the house as estimated by the government. It doesn't vary with the % of house owned. How much it is depends on the value of the house and the rate that year, the rate in turn depends on the services offered by the local council (some provide garbage pick up, some free swimming pools etc.). It's unlikely to less than a couple of grand a year.
couple of grand $$$ I hope...??!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by seanyg
couple of grand $$$ I hope...??!
depends on area and value of house, one we looked at in Kanata was $7,000