Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Any petrolheads out there?

Any petrolheads out there?

Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any petrolheads out there?

One of the many reasons I have for planning a move to Canada is the car scene.

By which I mean the older type cars, muscle cars, sports cars etc.

So my question is, how many older, retro type cars are lying about at the back of peoples driveways waiting for me to come along and restore them

From what I seen when we were over in July, you guys like your cars, so I'm guessing there will be plenty to choose from.

The other question is, what events can you take part in? Track days etc.

I have grown up in the UK hating all things British. The closest Ford UK came up with for the average mid life Crisis man was a Capri!, really, we couldn't get a Mustang?

A lot of people's first car over here was a Rover Metro. If you were a good boy and saved your pennies you might one day be able to buy an XR2!!! A Fiesta with black plastic wing extensions. Wow, we were spoiled eh

I know a lot of North American cars were, and still are, made in Ontario, so I know I'll be able to quench my automotive thirst.

And yes, I know American Muscle cars are pretty much all shit, but I love how they look, and how they sound.

For days I want a nice drive I'll by a BMW
Old Oct 15th 2011, 5:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any petrolheads out there?

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
One of the many reasons I have for planning a move to Canada is the car scene.

By which I mean the older type cars, muscle cars, sports cars etc.

So my question is, how many older, retro type cars are lying about at the back of peoples driveways waiting for me to come along and restore them

From what I seen when we were over in July, you guys like your cars, so I'm guessing there will be plenty to choose from.

The other question is, what events can you take part in? Track days etc.

I have grown up in the UK hating all things British. The closest Ford UK came up with for the average mid life Crisis man was a Capri!, really, we couldn't get a Mustang?

A lot of people's first car over here was a Rover Metro. If you were a good boy and saved your pennies you might one day be able to buy an XR2!!! A Fiesta with black plastic wing extensions. Wow, we were spoiled eh

I know a lot of North American cars were, and still are, made in Ontario, so I know I'll be able to quench my automotive thirst.

And yes, I know American Muscle cars are pretty much all shit, but I love how they look, and how they sound.

For days I want a nice drive I'll by a BMW
You'll love it over here. I'd suggest hanging around with expats. They usually like American cars and trucks and stuff. It sounds like you'll be in heaven. Although recently, the older cars have become quite pricey as people become more financially better off in their middle age yet their memories have become less retentive.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You'll love it over here. I'd suggest hanging around with expats. They usually like American cars and trucks and stuff. It sounds like you'll be in heaven. Although recently, the older cars have become quite pricey as people become more financially better off in their middle age yet their memories have become less retentive.
Hopefully Piff Poff will be along soon (her and her hubby restore old cars both North American and Britsh) although she will tell you that you can't get an old runabout for next to nothing over here.

I'd check the prices on auto trader canada and be prepared for a heart attack!!!! (check something comparible like an old beetle or something).

She would also state that Ontario would be a good place to go for this sort of thing.

There are lots of show and shines all over the place - even here in the prairies so your thirst should be quenched no problem!
Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Hopefully Piff Poff will be along soon (her and her hubby restore old cars both North American and Britsh) although she will tell you that you can't get an old runabout for next to nothing over here.

I'd check the prices on auto trader canada and be prepared for a heart attack!!!! (check something comparible like an old beetle or something).

She would also state that Ontario would be a good place to go for this sort of thing.

There are lots of show and shines all over the place - even here in the prairies so your thirst should be quenched no problem!
Got it one Mands, I don't really need to add anymore

Where are you moving to? It will make a difference on prices and days out etc.

We have one or two projects going atm...

You can get mustangs pretty easily in the UK, at one point we had I think 5 and yes they were all drivable so I don't understand that comment. Capris are a little harder to come by here, be we achieved that one a couple of weeks ago and as things go, we are looking at another (two) tomorrow, we're not buying though.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:25 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with a Metro? I had five of them, great little cars if a bit underpowered. Great handling, decent ride, cheap to run. Even better was the MG Maestro Turbo.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Toyota Hiace van, 2.5l diesel five speed manual with colum shift. Great van, wish you could get them over here.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 9:59 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I had a Toyota Hiace van, 2.5l diesel five speed manual with colum shift. Great van, wish you could get them over here.
You can get a GMC something or other that might do the trick. I think the A Team had one.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
You can get a GMC something or other that might do the trick. I think the A Team had one.
But you couldn't get a Hillman Imp, nor can you get any Citroens or Peugots.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The sacrifices one makes as an immigrant
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:50 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ http://reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ320162820
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Excellent find. Did you ever see the movie "Golden Goddess"? Look it up and rent/download the dvd. It's a very strange and beautiful tale sbout a Japanese young man who found a GS on the internet for sale in the boonies of Australia and travelled to the outback to buy it and drive it to, I think, Darwin to take it home. Quite exceptional.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:20 am

Excellent find. Did you ever see the movie "Golden Goddess"? Look it up and rent/download the dvd. It's a very strange and beautiful tale sbout a Japanese young man who found a GS on the internet for sale in the boonies of Australia and travelled to the outback to buy it and drive it to, I think, Darwin to take it home. Quite exceptional.
We'll have a look for it. The first car I remember as a kid was a Citroen Safari - the Brum Brum as it was known in our family - fond memories
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

We'll have a look for it. The first car I remember as a kid was a Citroen Safari - the Brum Brum as it was known in our family - fond memories
Where were you brought up? It's just that my half French wife, who was born in Tanganyika, had the same first car (first in terms of her memory). Her dad swore that it was the perfect vehicle for the potholed mud roads where they lived.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:44 am

Where were you brought up? It's just that my half French wife, who was born in Tanganyika, had the same first car (first in terms of her memory). Her dad swore that it was the perfect vehicle for the potholed mud roads where they lived.
*Coughs* Harlow, Essex. My Dad loved French cars.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:57 am
Born again atheist

*Coughs* Harlow, Essex. My Dad loved French cars.
Ah. I think her dad was a bit forced to love French cars by his Madame.

But to be fair, he's now 85 and a widower and has never bought anything except Citroens. He still drives one (although he really shouldn't).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.