Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Any film / tv industry people here?

Any film / tv industry people here?

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

orange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Any film / tv industry people here?

Glad you liked the work on D9!

Yup most of the post work for commercials/promos etc is done in Toronto. There is a plethora of commercial and motion graphic post-houses in Toronto but these kinds of places are thin on the ground in Vancouver.

To give you and indication of the business here, the company I work for is probably one of the few vfx studios in Vancouver that does high-end commercial work, if not the only one. Now we've branched out to do a few features in the last few years but the main focus has always been commercials, whereas there are dozens of vfx studios in Vancouver servicing the tv, film and gaming markets.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:01 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orange247
Glad you liked the work on D9!

Yup most of the post work for commercials/promos etc is done in Toronto. There is a plethora of commercial and motion graphic post-houses in Toronto but these kinds of places are thin on the ground in Vancouver.

To give you and indication of the business here, the company I work for is probably one of the few vfx studios in Vancouver that does high-end commercial work, if not the only one. Now we've branched out to do a few features in the last few years but the main focus has always been commercials, whereas there are dozens of vfx studios in Vancouver servicing the tv, film and gaming markets.
Which vfx are you working for, if you don't mind me asking? I know a few people "in the business" in Vancouver.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:08 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Which vfx are you working for, if you don't mind me asking? I know a few people "in the business" in Vancouver.
Pron doesn't count!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:12 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Pron doesn't count!

No i have friends and also my bro-in-law who work in the vfx industry in Vancouver
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

orange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura aboutorange247 has a spectacular aura about

http://www.theembassyvfx.com/
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:10 am
Beep

Aaah ok.

They're in Prime Focus, Rainmaker, and Spin.

More movie focussed i think though (Twilight for example). By their accounts, the industry is certainly looking up.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Aaah ok.

They're in Prime Focus, Rainmaker, and Spin.

More movie focussed i think though (Twilight for example). By their accounts, the industry is certainly looking up.
We do features too (Iron Man, District 9) but we are small compared to those guys. I have a buddy in Prime Focus, they work hard there, too hard!

Features vfx is booming in Vancouver and is not reliant on the movies actually being shot in the area anymore, work is being pulled in globally.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BumbleBeeUK
Hi,
I was just wondering if there are any film / tv industry types on this site? By this i mean crew, talent, lecturers/ teachers.

Just trying to do some research on how you have found the industry in Canada.

We are hoping to move to BC, but not 100% committed to that as we would rather live somewhere we can still do the jobs we love.

Thanks in advance, bbuk
Hi,

Just thought I would add my experience to the discussion. I moved to Vancouver in June 2009 with 12 years experience as a TV editor. Its now February 2010 and work has been quiet patchy. My experience is in UK broadcast TV. There are a handful of companies here that do that kind of work which makes it a relatively small market compared to areas of the UK.
It hasn't helped moving when the economy has hit TV production either. I have found that if any new commissions are coming through they are hiring people they have worked with before. This is of course quiet understandable
and I would say that would be the case in the UK too. I heard of another editor from Vancouver going to to London to try and find work last year and was back within 6 months with no luck.
I have taken small jobs to get a foot in the door for a lot less money than I would be earning back home. I had been hoping this may pay off but it hasn't so far due to loyalty to people they know. I knew I would have to take a hit financially moving here but I had hoped things might have improved somewhat by now. I have also found that some companies do not recognise any of the UK programmes so you really do have to prove yourself all over again. For me it has been like going back about 8 years in career and money. Vancouver is of course a beautiful place but without the work it may not be sustainable to live here. Its tough because my application took over three years to process! When I applied in 2005 things were a lot different. I do love the city and have made great friends, the outdoor life is fab but I am feeling not quiet like myself because I am not working at the level I was in the UK. If I could bring the UK work here, all would be fine! As you well know, working in film and TV is all about who you know and relationships take time to build. I would think seriously about what is important to you, and if you are willing to do something else if it doesn't work out. I really want to keep editing so I am already thinking of a return to the UK. My savings will only go so far...as will my sanity! Plus I miss British culture, humour etc. Hope this helps..any questions or further help, fire away!

coal.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

The comments in black below belong to Coal

Just thought I would add my experience to the discussion.

I moved to Vancouver in June 2009 with 12 years experience as a TV editor. Its now February 2010 and work has been quiet patchy. My experience is in UK broadcast TV.

There are a handful of companies here that do that kind of work which makes it a relatively small market compared to areas of the UK.

It hasn't helped moving when the economy has hit TV production either. I have found that if any new commissions are coming through they are hiring people they have worked with before. This is of course quiet understandable
and I would say that would be the case in the UK too. I heard of another editor from Vancouver going to to London to try and find work last year and was back within 6 months with no luck.

I have taken small jobs to get a foot in the door for a lot less money than I would be earning back home. I had been hoping this may pay off but it hasn't so far due to loyalty to people they know. I knew I would have to take a hit financially moving here but I had hoped things might have improved somewhat by now.

I have also found that some companies do not recognise any of the UK programmes so you really do have to prove yourself all over again. For me it has been like going back about 8 years in career and money. Vancouver is of course a beautiful place but without the work it may not be sustainable to live here. Its tough because my application took over three years to process!

When I applied in 2005 things were a lot different. I do love the city and have made great friends, the outdoor life is fab but I am feeling not quiet like myself because I am not working at the level I was in the UK. If I could bring the UK work here, all would be fine!

As you well know, working in film and TV is all about who you know and relationships take time to build. I would think seriously about what is important to you, and if you are willing to do something else if it doesn't work out.

I really want to keep editing so I am already thinking of a return to the UK. My savings will only go so far...as will my sanity! Plus I miss British culture, humour etc. Hope this helps..any questions or further help, fire away!

Just edited that so its easier to read
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:34 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

district 9 was fantastic! thx
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by coal
Hi,

Just thought I would add my experience to the discussion. I moved to Vancouver in June 2009 with 12 years experience as a TV editor. Its now February 2010 and work has been quiet patchy. My experience is in UK broadcast TV. There are a handful of companies here that do that kind of work which makes it a relatively small market compared to areas of the UK.
I have taken small jobs to get a foot in the door for a lot less money than I would be earning back home. I had been hoping this may pay off but it hasn't so far due to loyalty to people they know. I knew I would have to take a hit financially moving here but I had hoped things might have improved somewhat by now. I have also found that some companies do not recognise any of the UK programmes so you really do have to prove yourself all over again. For me it has been like going back about 8 years in career and money. Vancouver is of course a beautiful place but without the work it may not be sustainable to live here. Its tough because my application took over three years to process! When I applied in 2005 things were a lot different. I do love the city and have made great friends, the outdoor life is fab but I am feeling not quiet like myself because I am not working at the level I was in the UK. If I could bring the UK work here, all would be fine! As you well know, working in film and TV is all about who you know and relationships take time to build. I would think seriously about what is important to you, and if you are willing to do something else if it doesn't work out. I really want to keep editing so I am already thinking of a return to the UK. My savings will only go so far...as will my sanity! Plus I miss British culture, humour etc. Hope this helps..any questions or further help, fire away!

coal.
too bad, hope things turn around. Wasn't there something in the news last week about the province granting 17 percent tax breaks to companies to try and generate more work?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:41 pm
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

A friend of mine is a stage manager on Emmerdale........ but I guess that's not terribly helpful on this thread
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by T-Pot
A friend of mine is a stage manager on Emmerdale........ but I guess that's not terribly helpful on this thread
"nay, Mr Wilkes"
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dboy
too bad, hope things turn around. Wasn't there something in the news last week about the province granting 17 percent tax breaks to companies to try and generate more work?
New Tax incentives have been proposed in response to Ontarios's competitive tax breaks. I was reading that the new BC ones are aimed at more at gaming and for foreign film and animation productions. They only count towards labour costs which doesn't compare to Ontario's. Ontario filmmakers get a tax credit on virtually all the costs of production, including lighting equipment, trucks and trailers and cameras, while the B.C. credit is only on labour.

Just read on CBC that its estimated that half of the 25,000 BC film industry workers are out work and that Brightlight Pictures, a BC Feature film company has already opened an office in Ontario and will be moving most of its operations there....
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:02 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coal
Hi,

coal.
hope it gets better - remember you have just hit the 9 / 10 month miserable mark !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.