Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Any celebrations planned for the Queen's diamond jubilee?

Wikiposts

Any celebrations planned for the Queen's diamond jubilee?

Old May 11th 2012, 8:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any celebrations planned for the Queen's diamond jubilee?

Originally Posted by Oink
Nan was born free and everywhere she is in chains.
Yes, you mentioned earlier that she's partial to a bit of kink.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:00 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think I will get myself a flat of Kokanee and watch some baseball. You know, just to get into the spirit of the event.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:13 am
Just Joined

TheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really nice

We are having a Queens Diamond Jubilee Party at the school I work at, I am organising it, ordered bunting from the UK, with pics of the Queen on it, having the best hat and wear your party clothes! having sausage rolls, jelly and Ice cream,( I am surprised at the amount of people I work with that have never had Jelly & Ice cream) sandwichs, raffles, facepaints etc. Mind you 75% of the kids at our School are British, so this does help.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:38 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheMcHughs
We are having a Queens Diamond Jubilee Party at the school I work at, I am organising it, ordered bunting from the UK, with pics of the Queen on it, having the best hat and wear your party clothes! having sausage rolls, jelly and Ice cream,( I am surprised at the amount of people I work with that have never had Jelly & Ice cream) sandwichs, raffles, facepaints etc. Mind you 75% of the kids at our School are British, so this does help.
They call it jello over here that's why.

Also, I'm not sure of your school's policy but if I was you I'd get a few lagers in for the dads.
Old May 12th 2012, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

I would love to do something to celebrate but seeing as though we would have only been in Toronto for 2 weeks by then and therefore will have ZERO friends it seems a bit sad for us to be sat in the house waving a little flag. *sniff sniff*
Old May 12th 2012, 5:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
I would love to do something to celebrate but seeing as though we would have only been in Toronto for 2 weeks by then and therefore will have ZERO friends it seems a bit sad for us to be sat in the house waving a little flag. *sniff sniff*
When is it anyway?
Old May 12th 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
When is it anyway?
I think it's the 3rd June. My husband wanted to bring all manner of jubilee union jack paraphernalia out with us but I don't want our new neighbours to think we're BNP members.
Old May 12th 2012, 6:01 am
Just Joined

TheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really niceTheMcHughs is just really nice

Oh yeah I am sure the lagers would go down a treat

We are doing ours on 31st May, school PD days get in the way....
Old May 12th 2012, 10:04 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
We're having a big party. We're getting our deck ready as we speak and we're doing proper nice food, no bloody hotdogs or hamburgers. Sandwiches, sausages rolls and jelly and HID has threatened to make a Victoria sponge cake so at least the $500 kitchen ornament will finally get a run out.
I shall await the arrival of a nice ivory envelope with my POSH invite . . . . . .
Old May 16th 2012, 11:05 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I remember '77 for being a hot summer and, as a young lad, quite enjoyed the street being closed off and, as part of the festivities, a large breasted, brown haired, neighbour mother with big brown eyes giving me an ice cream float

I quite enjoyed some of the early punk music genre and, I'm sure, I still have an original 45 vinyl of "Anarchy in the UK" somewhere upstairs. So I felt the following article is worthy fuel for considerations of how one should celebrate, or not, such events:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17397222
Old May 16th 2012, 1:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
My son lives in Regina. You'd expect them to care. But no.

Ingrates.
If your sprog would tune in to a real news station he‘d know what a big deal it really is! Chuck & Cam are having a short but full program here including events at the legislature, Government House, and the RCMP academy. They‘re staying a block from my apartment at what used to be the Hotel Saskatchewan, (if I remember correctly the Royal Suite actually is at the back, so I should see their windows from the hall), so I may go take a peek. I saw HRH there in about ‘74, (2nd time of 3 I saw her I think), and when Charles was here last I happened to be driving past Albert Scott Community Centre and saw him speechifying in the schoolyard up by my sister‘s house. On that visit he had lunch there with the North Central kids at the Chili For Children program.
I am in total accord also with the poster who proposes celebrating with a flat of lager and televised sports. A good compromise would be to go down to the Leg. & watch my old regiment fire the salute then go get pished with some comrades.
Old May 16th 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, I missed this thread when it started.

I can't believe it's been going for a week and I haven't jumped in with my standard:

"Why??? I didn't vote for her!"

There you go
Old May 17th 2012, 1:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You really thought we were an autonamous (sp?) collective? I suppose officialy the holiday is on Monday with fireworks and a day off for those lucky enough to be working but with the Royals coming it seems fitting to make it a week long affair (Woo-hoo, two Artillery salutes!) beginning tomorrow then do it all again on June 2. I‘ve already sent my congratulations to the Queen via Twitter.

Last edited by caretaker; May 17th 2012 at 1:50 am.
Old May 17th 2012, 3:04 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by caretaker
If your sprog would tune in to a real news station he‘d know what a big deal it really is!
Actually, he works in the newsroom at Global TV. So I take your point.
Old May 17th 2012, 3:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lvh76
Walk to the Feathers, they'll have bunting and whatnot and it'll be downhill on the way home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.