Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anonymous Fat Wife Poll

View Poll Results: If my wife got excessively overweight and wouldnt do anything about it I would
Divorce her!
17.50%
Stick by her
65.00%
Dunno, whats she like in the sack?
17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Anonymous Fat Wife Poll

Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:36 pm
Banned

veteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really nice
Default Re: Anonymous Fat Wife Poll

Originally Posted by dbd33
Obviously adding weight while pregnant is acceptable, at that time a woman is in fact two people; it's the rest of her lifespan that's at issue.
What about the rest of your lifespan? Am I missing something here? Please say it ain't so
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veteran
What about the rest of your lifespan?
Ah yes, it's the overlapping period of life that matters, I don't suppose anyone cares if his widow gets a bit flabby.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:42 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah yes, it's the overlapping period of life that matters, I don't suppose anyone cares if his widow gets a bit flabby.
It's the overlapping bits that really matter.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:44 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If it was as simple as thermodynamics there would be no need of nutritionists to take into account the actual amount of calories required by different people, and the balance of fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc.
"

did anybody say thermodynamics was simple...... come'on you as an engineer know that the principle itself is simple, but the application of the maths can be quite complex

same with excess calorific intake, as an example fat metabolism

http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/08366/h&p2fat.htm

None of that’s simple and it’s not easy for the uneducated to understand that’s why nutritionists are used to best determine which diet suits which lifestyle and the persons abilty to excersise, but the final line sums up the simplicity of the concept “If the glucose intake exceeds the body's energy needs (and after saturation of glycogen stores) the acetyl CoA can be used for fatty acid synthesis (in the liver) and storage as triglyceride in adipose tissue” and that is simple…

Translated…if food intake exceeds the body’s needs, it’s turned to fatty acids in the liver and then stored as fat
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

As an engineer I also appreciate that things are never as simple as they may at first appear and that snap judgments dont get you anywhere...unless you are an engineer in "star trek"
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:18 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
As an engineer I also appreciate that things are never as simple as they may at first appear and that snap judgments dont get you anywhere...unless you are an engineer in "star trek"
But to put you on the spot

If your machine consumed 100Kwh of power, had a know efficiency of 80% (allowing for friction, heat, electrical and mechanical losses) and you only got 60Kwh of work out
You’d expect the missing 20kwh to have gone somewhere !!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:33 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

The resting energy requirement for an average sized person is about 1200 kcal - this is just what you need for basic homeostasis. To be consuming 780 kcal per day and doing exercise and not losing weight - you'd have to be a pretty slender midget.

There was a great study somewhere with a bunch of fatties who couldn't lose weight despite them being on a 1200-calorie a day diet. As soon as they were put under 24-hour observation with no control of their own food the weight started flying off.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:43 pm
Banned

veteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really niceveteran is just really nice

Hmmmmm.....I love the smell of physics in the air, reminds me of one of units back in Leeds.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:19 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bazzz
The resting energy requirement for an average sized person is about 1200 kcal - this is just what you need for basic homeostasis. To be consuming 780 kcal per day and doing exercise and not losing weight - you'd have to be a pretty slender midget.

There was a great study somewhere with a bunch of fatties who couldn't lose weight despite them being on a 1200-calorie a day diet. As soon as they were put under 24-hour observation with no control of their own food the weight started flying off.
Well dont accuse me of being a liar. I know exactly what i eat! And i know that i exercise!!!! No i aint a slender midget just a sh*t metobalisum.
Lisa
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:53 pm
Part Time Poster

I’m not saying you’re lying

But diets that operate in the range 400Kcal to 800kcal are general reserved for those that are suffering from obesity or are highly over weight

These diets are very effective in reducing body weight rapidly.
In the first week, weight loss comes mainly from water and glycogen losses
Fat loss is relatively small and muscle wasting can rapidly become an issue. Due to very low carbohydrate intake, lethargy, nausea, halitosis (bad breath), muscle loss, hypotension, light headedness, and dehydration are common side effects of these very low energy diets.

So you can see how we might be a bit sceptical
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:56 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MikeUK

But diets that operate in the range 400Kcal to 800kcal are general reserved for those that are suffering from obesity or are highly over weight

Fat loss is relatively small and muscle wasting can rapidly become an issue. Due to very low carbohydrate intake, lethargy, nausea, halitosis (bad breath), muscle loss, hypotension, light headedness, and dehydration are common side effects of these very low energy diets.

Wasn't on about you baz was on about it. You can be sceptic but i know what happens...

Lisa
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Those are stavation levels. A dietician wouldnt be impressed with your advice.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:53 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think he was advising that. She was the one claiming to be on a 780-calorie a day diet, doing exercise and maintaining her obesity.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:19 pm
Kev and Lisa

Originally Posted by bazzz
I don't think he was advising that. She was the one claiming to be on a 780-calorie a day diet, doing exercise and maintaining her obesity.

Excuse me i am under a dietician! i do have 780 calories, and the reason i do see them is because it maintains and they do put this down to PCOS! and a slow metabolisium. I do not reguard myself as OBESE so i dont expect you too thank you!

Lisa
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit

Excuse me i am under a dietician! i do have 780 calories, and the reason i do see them is because it maintains and they do put this down to PCOS! and a slow metabolisium. I do not reguard myself as OBESE so i dont expect you too thank you!

Lisa
I have yet to meet an overweight person that takes responsibility for being like that.

It is always something else. Some sickness, some pills that they had to take, crap metabolism, what ever.. I have never heard one of them say it is because they have a poor diet and/or don't lead a healthy lifestyle.

No one wants to take responsibility for their own actions. It is always someone else's or something else's fault.

And btw, just because YOU don't regard yourself as obese, doesn't mean you are not. I am not saying you are, because frankly I don't know. There is a medical definition of obesity and if you fall within that definition, then guess what? You are obese.

Btw, if you have a slow metabolism, there is a way to increase it. It is called exercise. Wonder of wonders. Who would have thought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.