Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

I do use one for some items, pork chops do well in one, as does making chilli and stew. I tried chicken once, but didn't like the the way it turned out, but for the most part its one of the most useful kitchen things out there, good for roasts too.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Slow cooker! You can make delicious meals, use cheaper cuts of meat, takes up next to no room on the counter and you don't have to stand and watch it. There's an endless number of recipes on the net, from soups and casseroles (especially yummy in winter) to desserts.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I do use one for some items, pork chops do well in one, as does making chilli and stew. I tried chicken once, but didn't like the the way it turned out, but for the most part its one of the most useful kitchen things out there, good for roasts too.
I haven't tried doing pork chops in my slow cooker, I'll give it a go and thanks for the tip
Old Aug 14th 2019, 4:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried doing pork chops in my slow cooker, I'll give it a go and thanks for the tip
I usually add canned tomatoes and a bit of water, then once ready cook rice on the stove top, then take the tomatoes from the crock pot mix with the rice, add pork on top. Something my grandmother used to do, but she would cook the rice, tomatoes and pork chops in the crock pot, but when I tried that the rice didn't come out well.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 4:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I usually add canned tomatoes and a bit of water, then once ready cook rice on the stove top, then take the tomatoes from the crock pot mix with the rice, add pork on top. Something my grandmother used to do, but she would cook the rice, tomatoes and pork chops in the crock pot, but when I tried that the rice didn't come out well.
Sounds delish! Do you need to brown the pork chops before putting them in the crock pot?
Old Aug 14th 2019, 5:26 am
Account Closed

You could, but its not necessary. I put it in raw, and cook around 6 hours on medium heat.

Sounds delish! Do you need to brown the pork chops before putting them in the crock pot?
Old Aug 14th 2019, 5:35 am
Concierge

You could, but its not necessary. I put it in raw, and cook around 6 hours on medium heat.
Ok, ta. I think if the pork chops were the type that have a layer of fat on the top I'd brown them first to render the fat down. Otherwise, Bob's your Uncle
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

That's very similar to something my MIL does except broth rather than tinned tomatoes and in a shallow dish in the oven rather than slow cooker. You could almost say it's completely different except for cooking the rice and pork chops together.

Old Aug 14th 2019, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, ta. I think if the pork chops were the type that have a layer of fat on the top I'd brown them first to render the fat down. Otherwise, Bob's your Uncle
You should always seal meat by quick frying it on both sides, it is supposed seal the juices inside. It also gives it a better colour. A beige coloured piece of meat would put me right off.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You should always seal meat by quick frying it on both sides, it is supposed seal the juices inside. It also gives it a better colour. A beige coloured piece of meat would put me right off.
Newfoundlanders go mmmmm, seal meat.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Newfoundlanders go mmmmm, seal meat.
Ew.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 11:00 pm
Concierge

Ew.
Tastes like chicken.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Tastes like chicken.
I don’t care what it tastes like, I couldn’t eat it.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 11:03 pm
Concierge

I don’t care what it tastes like, I couldn’t eat it.
I don't really know what it tastes like. Probably tastes like seal.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It did cross my mind you were probably joking. You will have to make it more obvious for me in future.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 11:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, it goes bad quick so unless you're on the coast or in the Arctic you won't run across it. Leonard, who was a carpenter foreman in Fort Mac said it was a common complaint from his crew that they "couldn't get no good seal meat out here".

“The flippers, you can kind of treat ’em like pork shoulder, they like long and slow cooking,” says Perrin. (On Top Chef Canada, the judges remarked that his braised seal flipper tasted a lot like pulled pork.) “The loins, kind of treat ’em like tenderloin or lamb loin. You can do a tartare or carpaccio, or roast ’em and serve ’em rare or medium rare.”
https://modernfarmer.com/2014/11/sea...ext-big-thing/

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 14th 2019 at 11:15 pm. Reason: literary conscience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.