Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

Old Jul 27th 2019, 1:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I the only that thinks Canadian supermarket food is crap?

Originally Posted by scilly
I had the thought last night that another reason why ready to go meals are so different here vs the UK is that the "shop every day" or "drop in the supermarket and pick up dinner on you way home" has not been part of the North American culture, like it was in the UK....
That's certainly a possibility. But most of the ready-made meals are single servings and of a size not just for one, but a size more suitable for lunch rather than dinner.
I'm sure the OP meant this

rather than

Plus there are Tesco Metro/Express or Sainsburys 'Local' everywhere, dead handy for people popping out from their workplace (or in the morning on arrival) to pick something and then back in the office to microwave it.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...frequent shopping trips just isn't something most do. People tend to shop once a week for groceries and that is it, going everyday just isn't appealing and well takes time, I could not imagine spending an hour a day with the getting to/from and shopping in a grocery store, once a week is enough.
I'd argue all the more reason why you would buy some ready made meals on that trip so they were available for use when the occasion arose.

When the kids were going to school, those Michelina things were perfect for lunches - along with some fruit, say - and once a month they'd be a ridiculously cheap 99c. We'd stock up and have them in the freezer, ready.

Of course we'd also have plenty of other "proper" meals cooked and leftovers could be packaged similarly for lunches too. Also freshly made wraps and stuff like that. Variation is key.

It needn't be either/or. Sometimes its just nice to be able to get something out the fridge or freezer, zap it and eat it, with no advance planning involved.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Ready made meals in my mind are the ready to eat no cooking/warming necessary, walk into the store get food, eat there or take home which I suppose one could freeze for future use.

Frozen meals are not what I consider ready made, and those are easy to stock up on, I buy frozen meals often, many are inexpensive, quick and easy, perfect for those like me who hate cooking and want to eat quickly.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 12:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's certainly a possibility. But most of the ready-made meals are single servings and of a size not just for one, but a size more suitable for lunch rather than dinner.
I'm sure the OP meant this

rather than

Plus there are Tesco Metro/Express or Sainsburys 'Local' everywhere, dead handy for people popping out from their workplace (or in the morning on arrival) to pick something and then back in the office to microwave it.

I'd argue all the more reason why you would buy some ready made meals on that trip so they were available for use when the occasion arose.

When the kids were going to school, those Michelina things were perfect for lunches - along with some fruit, say - and once a month they'd be a ridiculously cheap 99c. We'd stock up and have them in the freezer, ready.

Of course we'd also have plenty of other "proper" meals cooked and leftovers could be packaged similarly for lunches too. Also freshly made wraps and stuff like that. Variation is key.

It needn't be either/or. Sometimes its just nice to be able to get something out the fridge or freezer, zap it and eat it, with no advance planning involved.
That's a shitload of packaging. First you have to buy a Dremel to open it and then you have to kill an ocean's worth of sharks to get rid of it. Is it really so hard to boil your own rice?
Old Jul 28th 2019, 12:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ready made meals in my mind are the ready to eat no cooking/warming necessary, walk into the store get food, eat there or take home which I suppose one could freeze for future use.

Frozen meals are not what I consider ready made, and those are easy to stock up on, I buy frozen meals often, many are inexpensive, quick and easy, perfect for those like me who hate cooking and want to eat quickly.
Have you thought about doing a free cooking class sometime? It's a good way to get out but you mightdiscover that you don't really hate cooking as much as you think. Whenever I go visit my family my sister and I always go to either Sobey's for the free classes or Fortino (don't think you have them in BC) for the inexpensive class.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that the OP meant more like the ready-to-cook meals like we saw on our last trip to the UK in 2008 .......... friends took us out for the day, we stopped at the local grocery store, and she picked up 2 packets of pork chops marinating in a some sort of sauce in sealed plastic bags (I think lemon and something). Took them home, popped the chops (2 in each packet) in the convection oven, potatoes cooked in a pan and veggies in the microwave. Dinner on the table in 20 minutes or so!

You can buy similar fresh meats marinating in a sauce and ready to cook at our local Safeway ............ but not the variety that we saw in the UK.

But as I said ............... I'm thinking it is more the way life developed over here.

When we first arrived in Vancouver, we lived for 4 years in an apartment in one of the "village-like" areas ....... within 2 blocks of the apartment we had all the little stores you would have found on the any high street in a small town in the UK .......... the butcher, the baker, the fish shop, 3 little grocery stores, shoe shops, dress shops, post office, etc etc.

Yet few people, including ourselves, shopped every day for our evening meal ............... we went to our favourite of the grocery stores once a week, bought a roast and some other meat at the butcher, and maybe fish for Saturday night's dinner. The roast was cooked on Sunday, the other meat went into the small freezer for later in the week.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 11:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's a shitload of packaging. First you have to buy a Dremel to open it and then you have to kill an ocean's worth of sharks to get rid of it. Is it really so hard to boil your own rice?
Yes, there's packaging but not necessarily more than non convenience stuff with styrofoam and clingwrap. A cardboard sleeve that gets recycled and a plastic or card tray ditto.

And, of course, rice is easy. Every time we have it I cook plenty for part of subsequent meals.

But it's only part of a meal. Not much good if you get back from the pub, say, and you feel the need for something nice that's not only rice. Other than a take-away, what could be nicer and easier than within 5 minutes, having a nice little plate of prawn curry and rice or a chicken tagliatelle? You might regret the heavy take-away come morning.

Originally Posted by scilly
..... packets of pork chops marinating in a some sort of sauce in sealed plastic bags (I think lemon and something). Took them home, popped the chops (2 in each packet) in the convection oven, potatoes cooked in a pan and veggies in the microwave. Dinner on the table in 20 minutes or so! You can buy similar fresh meats marinating in a sauce and ready to cook at our local Safeway
Sobeys does that too.
........... but not the variety that we saw in the UK.
Yep, exactly it. Sainsburys did packs of 2 Lamb shanks that came with a mix for rosemary (I think) gravy/sauce. Transfer it to casserole dish,follow the cooking instructions and you had lovely tender lamb falling off the bone, in a really nice sauce. Just add your own veg.

Here you get a couple of choices of marinated pork choppy things, perhaps some store made meatballs or some skewered meat but you're as likely to get coffee or whisky burger patties as anything else
Old Jul 28th 2019, 3:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Sunday today. Dinner for four is inevitably more involved than on other days.

So I don't want to be doing much for lunch. A sandwich, perhaps. Beans on toast.
Or...something a lot more interesting, five minutes from taking it out of the freezer and I'm eating it.

It's one of the few ready made meals that compares favourably
Old Jul 28th 2019, 3:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, there's packaging but not necessarily more than non convenience stuff with styrofoam and clingwrap. A cardboard sleeve that gets recycled and a plastic or card tray ditto.

And, of course, rice is easy. Every time we have it I cook plenty for part of subsequent meals.

But it's only part of a meal. Not much good if you get back from the pub, say, and you feel the need for something nice that's not only rice. Other than a take-away, what could be nicer and easier than within 5 minutes, having a nice little plate of prawn curry and rice or a chicken tagliatelle? You might regret the heavy take-away come morning.

Sobeys does that too.
Yep, exactly it. Sainsburys did packs of 2 Lamb shanks that came with a mix for rosemary (I think) gravy/sauce. Transfer it to casserole dish,follow the cooking instructions and you had lovely tender lamb falling off the bone, in a really nice sauce. Just add your own veg.

Here you get a couple of choices of marinated pork choppy things
, perhaps some store made meatballs or some skewered meat but you're as likely to get coffee or whisky burger patties as anything else
Perhaps you didn't see my earlier post about Lou's? Roast Turkey (with gravy), Roast Pork (with gravy), Roast Beef (with gravy) .. and others.. all precooked, chuck into a pan of boiling water (or into the microwave) and done!

Turkey Roast | Lou's BBQ
Beef Pot Roast | Lou's BBQ
Home-Style Pork Roast | Lou's BBQ
Old Jul 28th 2019, 4:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps you didn't see my earlier post about Lou's? Roast Turkey (with gravy), Roast Pork (with gravy), Roast Beef (with gravy) .. and others.. all precooked, chuck into a pan of boiling water (or into the microwave) and done!
Yes I did.

I've even seen one or two in the stores. But I didn't think them worth it. Their bacon is a much better deal and I get that regularly

My reference to the marinated pork chops was more about what Sobeys/Safeways prepares and packs but you're right, Lou's should be included.

Old Jul 28th 2019, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I find Lou's meats are pretty decent, easy to cook, boil in bag for about 8 minutes to warm, then serve.

Pulled Beef | Lou's BBQ
Old Aug 7th 2019, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

I am still looking into free ones (i have found lots that cost $$ but free seems to be more elusive.), but cooking today, I think the biggest issue is the very compact kitchen and low counters making it simply an unpleasant experience. I think a more suitable kitchen would make things more pleasent.

I just measured, the kitchen is 41" wide, 80" long, and counter/sink/stove is only 35" tall. The stove, sink is perfect level for me if I am sitting in a chair...lol

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Have you thought about doing a free cooking class sometime? It's a good way to get out but you mightdiscover that you don't really hate cooking as much as you think. Whenever I go visit my family my sister and I always go to either Sobey's for the free classes or Fortino (don't think you have them in BC) for the inexpensive class.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 7th 2019 at 10:05 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am still looking into free ones (i have found lots that cost $$ but free seems to be more elusive.), but cooking today, I think the biggest issue is the very compact kitchen and low counters making it simply an unpleasant experience. I think a more suitable kitchen would make things more pleasent.

I just measured, the kitchen is 41" wide, 80" long, and counter/sink/stove is only 35" tall. The stove, sink is perfect level for me if I am sitting in a chair...lol
36” is the average height of countertops and stoves...so only 1” difference,
Old Aug 7th 2019, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
36” is the average height of countertops and stoves...so only 1” difference,
Everything is built for short people...lol

Maybe if I get a stool to sit on, might make things easier...

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 7th 2019 at 10:35 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2019, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with the OP. Anytime i go back to the UK, i stare at all the amazing food in M+S (although to be fair, M+S is pricier than most supermarkets and is higher end). I find stuff in Canada is generally more expensive too. I also miss the chilled dessert sections- things like GU desserts. Everything is frozen here. I did google that before though and found an article that said that chilled food doesn't do as well here due to the low population set against large distances, it just doesn't work as alot of it would go to waste.

Also birthday cakes in England. You can find so many in the bakery sections of supermarkets. Don't get me started on the rubbish ones here!

I don't like ready meals in general, as I find they have alot of preservatives, colours and a high salt content. However, comparing labels on Canadian ready meals compared to UK ones, the ingredients used are starkly different and i find that Canada adds alot more rubbish in theirs whereas some of the UK ones it is just real ingredients.

I also find produce over there is alot cheaper too. As in 50p for broccoli and here it's $3! Same for bread too. And the bread here is just so small! Although Canada does have Bulk Barn...
Old Aug 8th 2019, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fynnley
I spent a few weeks on hols back in The U.K and ate myself silly with our incredibly good food and am now back in Canada wondering what is going on with our drab food here. I don't mean fruit and veg, I am referring to ready meals, bread etc.
I found in The U.K the quality and selection is far superior to what is offered here, whilst also being cheaper. For example, ready meals, so tasty and cheap! Good quality sarnies for a pound, 50. (sorry no sterling sign). Baked camembert from M&S, amazing bakeries to make your mouth water. I could go on but you get the point.
Over here its $3.50 for a loaf, $6 for a crappy frozen butter chicken etc. I don't get it. Do we just accept bad food here? Maybe we should kick up a fuss and demand better. I don't mind spending decent money on food if the quality is high but when its expensive and poor quality its a bad combination.
Or is it just me?
I often think the same way. M & S is best.

However the situation in the UK might change for the worse, in the case of a hard Brexit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.