Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Am I going to hell for laughing?

Am I going to hell for laughing?

Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I going to hell for laughing?

Wrong body displayed at visitation.

Before Bennett's open-casket visitation was set to begin, family members say Bennett's widower, Gary, pointed out to funeral home staff that the body of the woman in the casket was not his wife.

After some discussion, that casket was wheeled out and another brought in. That one also did not contain his wife's body, but the deceased woman was wearing Bennett's clothes, according to family members.

After both bodies were taken away, funeral home staff returned to explain that Bennett's body had been mistakenly cremated.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I going to hell for laughing?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
"Rest assured, Serenity Funeral Home takes utmost pride in the services it provides and takes this matter very seriously," Conway said.

I guess Rest is not Assured at this place
Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:28 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Omg that's awful.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Omg that's awful.
I agree, but mostly because I find the entire concept of open caskets/ visitation really horrifying. I thought it was just an 'over here' thing, but I caught five minutes of 'The secret' last night, and they were doing it.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 5:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I agree, but mostly because I find the entire concept of open caskets/ visitation really horrifying.
Not so much horrifying but definitely weird.

I could understand it if you lost someone unexpectedly and wanted to "see" them.

My wife died in hospital after a bad time and while she looked better at visitation, that restful appearance didn't do a thing to help what we experienced before.

Me, her mum and her two kids. I don't think one of us felt any better for going. We could have done without it to be honest. I don't imagine we'll do it again.

I think better times were more difficult to remember after experiencing two different states, if that makes any kind of sense.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 6:23 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

When my mum died there was a visitation which both my brothers attended, but I just couldn't. I preferred to remember her the last way I had seen her a few months earlier, in relatively good health, all marbles present and in order.

What I found weird about this story was that even if they (arguably) didn't realise the mistake the first time in presenting the wrong body, they certainly seemed to the second time around by presenting yet another wrong body in the deceased's clothes. That smacks of deceit.

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jan 19th 2018 at 6:34 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
...even if they (arguably) didn't realise the mistake the first time in presenting the wrong body, they certainly seemed to the second time around by presenting yet another wrong body in the deceased's clothes. That smacks of deceit.
I dunno...maybe they only had two bodies there, on the premises at the time in a sort of "well if it's not this one, it must be the other one". I don't imagine they dressed up the second body in the right one's clothes in an attempt to pass her off as the one they'd come to see.

Probably just a series of mistakes.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:34 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the idea of open caskets.

Our elderly buddy (he has just lost his wife so we've been talking cremations a lot) was telling a story of his mate. Going back to just after the war. His mate passed away and his ashes were sent to his Mum from iirc India. This beautiful box arrived, without any info. She opened it up and thought - OOh tea. Made a pot of tea, which was awful and flushed the rest of the tea leaves down the toilet. Yep you guessed it, the box contained her sons ashes. What a way to go lol
Old Jan 19th 2018, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I don't like the idea of open caskets....This beautiful box arrived, without any info. She opened it up and thought - OOh tea. Made a pot of tea, which was awful and flushed the rest of the tea leaves down the toilet. Yep you guessed it, the box contained her sons ashes. What a way to go lol

One thing about an open casket is you're never going to hear sudden and mysterious knocking.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 11:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't imagine they dressed up the second body in the right one's clothes in an attempt to pass her off as the one they'd come to see.
'Why the hell is she face down?"
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:03 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
'Why the hell is she face down?"
I can't stop laughing at this...

Still one of the all time great sketches

Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:25 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

My dad passed in 1982. The parents were looking to move to the West Country, as I was gadding about all over the place, middle brother was firmly ensconced in Oslo and eldest brother was located just outside of Plymouth.

Dad loved the sea, brother had a 7 metre motor launch (hand restored) and the pair of them spent many happy hours fishing or just trawling the river Tamar checking out the waterside pubs.

When dad passed, we decided that that his ashes would be best scattered at sea, so brother took off alone in the launch to perform the 'ceremony'. He went out onto Plymouth Sound, just south of Drake's island, but inside the breakwater. He cut the engine, and sat for a few minutes gathering his thoughts.

He was then approached by a naval launch; they asked if he had broken down, to which he replied no, all was fine and explained why he was there.

With extreme politeness they offered their condolences, but requested that he get a move on, as he was smack in the middle of the 'surfacing area', and that they had had a nuclear submarine down below waiting to come up to continue on to the dock a mile or so upstream.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:35 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Mistakes do happen but ... for some reason it reminded me of this - Vet puts down by accident before he tells the heart-broken owner: Mistakes happen | Daily Mail Online
Old Jan 20th 2018, 6:59 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Mistakes do happen but ... for some reason it reminded me of this ...
At least the two legged mistake was already a dead one.