Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Allergic kids vs kids without allergies at school

Allergic kids vs kids without allergies at school

Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allergic kids vs kids without allergies at school

Originally Posted by iaink
Why? Shes doing what she thinks best for her kid. The school appears to have an allergy policy and she choose to send her kids there on the basis of that, only to find out that its a paper policy that is not really doing the job its supposed to.

The reality I fear is that severe food allergies of this nature are going to be seen more and more frequently so we had better figure out how we are going to deal with it. As a species it appears that our immune systems dont seem to be dealing very well with the more bacteria free environment we now live in.
"filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario against her daughter’s elementary school, . . . "

She's probably a stay-at-home mum that feels she's not parenting enough unless she kicks up a think about something. She should just have a quiet word with the teacher and/or an administrator and sorted it out reasonably.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How is this at all different to what parents of peanut allergy kids have already acheived? 30 years ago they would have appeared to be exactly the same, and now no parent in their right mind would expect to be able to send a PB&J sandwich or a Reeses cup to school.
But that's not an improvement. That's a decline in the quality of life of the majority to accomodate a minority, it's the children or parents who don't want nuts who should have made the accomodation.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:41 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think that's the crux of it. Rather, the policy does do what it sets out to do, it makes the child safe by keeping her away from the allergens, but that's not enough for the mother. The mother wants the other children to be forced not to use the allergens in order to provide "normal" social interactions for the freaky daughter. I bet the mother is a strident non-smoker too.
exactly.

I just heard her interviewed - the school HAD provided 'reasonable accomodation' by having the girl eat her lunch in a seperate, egg & dairy free classroom with her support worker.

But then she got sad cos she couldn't eat with her friends.

So now her mum wants the school to force all her friends to eat egg and dairy free too, so her child doesn't have to deal with bad feelings.

it's all about her, her, her, her and her.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:42 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

But that's not an improvement. That's a decline in the quality of life of the majority to accomodate a minority, it's the children or parents who don't want nuts who should have made the accomodation.
+1
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:44 pm

Does that go for kids with nut allergies too then?

She is homeschooling. The problem here is that the school had an allergy policy that encouraged her to send her kid there. She appears to want the school to do what it said it would in its policy. That doesnt seem entirely unreasonable.

As these allergies become more common place will the majority eventually end up home schooled?
probably.

there are some allegedly nut allergic kids in my kid's classroom/school. In talking to the parent, though, the kid has never actually had a shock - it's just a suspected allergy based on an allergy test (arranged by parent). Nonetheless an entire healthy food choice is banned.

I want someone to find me the science that proves removing allergens improves a child's allergic reactions.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:44 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Home school all the freakazoids
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's the crux of it. Rather, the policy does do what it sets out to do, it makes the child safe by keeping her away from the allergens, but that's not enough for the mother. The mother wants the other children to be forced not to use the allergens in order to provide "normal" social interactions for the freaky daughter. I bet the mother is a strident non-smoker too.
I still dont think this parent is doing anything wrong, they are trying to do whats best for their child in difficult circumstances.

With an allergy of that nature there is still a significant danger that casual contact with the residue left behind by another kids lunch is enough to cause a life threatening reaction, same as with peanuts.

The crux of this is that as a parent its not really a huge inconvenience to avoid peanuts in your kids lunch, but to avoid eggs and dairy is going to be very hard.

If its one kids in 10000 thats affected then I guess it makes more sense to exclude the kid rather than to exclude the foods, I just wonder where the tipping point is where it becomes reasonable to exclude the foods for the sake of the kids having a more normal upbringing, as has happened in the case of nut allergies.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 17th 2014 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:45 pm

The kid has had 9 anaphilactic reactions... that about 8 more than I would want to experience as a parent, and they are set off by these known food triggers so how else would you deal with this other than to avoid contact with the triggers?
they created a safe place for her to eat, as per previous posts, but that's not good enough for mummy.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Home school all the freakazoids
Couldn't she just sit at at a table the back like they did in school with the kids who brought a packed lunch?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:47 pm

I still dont think this parent is doing anything wrong, they are trying to do whats best for their child in difficult circumstances.

With an allergy of that nature there is still a significant danger that casual contact with the residue left behind by another kids lunch is enough to cause a life threatening reaction, same as with peanuts.

The crux of this is that as a parent its not really a huge inconvenience to avoid peanuts in your kids lunch, but to avoid eggs and dairy is going to be very hard.

If its one kids in 10000 thats affected then I guess it makes more sense to exclude the kid rather than to exclude the kids, I just wonder where the tipping point is where it becomes reasonable to exclude the foods for the sake of the kids having a more normal upbringing, as has happened in the case of nut allergies.
well, the school was having the kids wash their hands after lunch to prevent contamination.

I mean, I wonder how she deals with life? bus rides? supermarket trips? Jeeze. This is ridiculous.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:48 pm

How is this at all different to what parents of peanut allergy kids have already acheived? 30 years ago they would have appeared to be exactly the same, and now no parent in their right mind would expect to be able to send a PB&J sandwich or a Reeses cup to school.
I am a peanut allergy skeptic. IMO a lot of it is driven by culture/ fear, NOT science.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, there's nothing wrong with the parent asking for the moon but it's the responsibility of the school board to tell her to piss off, she's being unreasonable. Lots of children have disabilities and yet their classmates are not obliged to give up eating all but tofu and to shuffle around in iron lungs mounted on their wheelchairs in order to make everyone feel at home.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
She should just have a quiet word with the teacher and/or an administrator and sorted it out reasonably.
You dont think maybe she tried that already? There are all sorts of steps to take in a dispute with the school or board before you get to the nuclear option of the human rights tribunal

It seems empathy is in short supply here. I wouldnt fancy being in her shoes not knowing if my kids was going to leave the school in a big yellow bus or a shiney white ambulance.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
they created a safe place for her to eat, as per previous posts, but that's not good enough for mummy.
Could imagine being married to this women? She'd probably moan to high heaven for days if you wanted to go out on the piss and scoring brasses with your mates.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm convinced that these 'allergies' would quickly disappear if parents let their kids roll around in the muck and eat stuff off the floor and stopped disinfecting their houses from top to bottom.
Totally agree.

The mother sounds like a complete helicopter parent who will never be satisfied with what the school suggests and it wouldn't surprise me if she is looking into the public school system to see if they will bow to her unreasonable demands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.