Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Algonquin Provincial Park

Algonquin Provincial Park

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 2:44 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Algonquin Provincial Park

We move to Canada mid-April, a few days before my wife's birthday. For said event she said she'd like to go exploring (before we settle into the grind of job hunting) so we thought of going to Algonquin Park.

I will obviously do some research on the park's own website, and I gather a can of bear spray might be needed, but wondered what people's experiences were of going there and what they would recommend doing/seeing?

We're not campers so it would be a day trip with an early start from the GTA and possibly stay overnight with our relatives in North Bay.

TIA
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algonquin Provincial Park

It's a dark sky area, so if you were to stay overnight that would be something to do (you should be able to have marvellous views of the sky at night from North Bay area, if you get outside of the City) http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit.../astromony.php . Other than that - it's a wild expanse of forest, not sure what you are expecting to do or see other than the visitor centre, museum, radio observatory, trees, water and wild life Moose, mosquitos, trout fishing, bears. Autumn is magical there, the trees in full colours. Do keep in mind that it's a National Park and may not be open by April, the May long weekend is when many of the park facilities will open. Spring in Algonquin Park | Algonquin Provincial Park | The Friends of Algonquin Park

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 3rd 2020 at 3:19 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
We move to Canada mid-April, a few days before my wife's birthday. For said event she said she'd like to go exploring (before we settle into the grind of job hunting) so we thought of going to Algonquin Park.

I will obviously do some research on the park's own website, and I gather a can of bear spray might be needed, but wondered what people's experiences were of going there and what they would recommend doing/seeing?

We're not campers so it would be a day trip with an early start from the GTA and possibly stay overnight with our relatives in North Bay.

TIA
Mid april there will probably still be snow in the bush and none of the campgrounds will be open. I love the park, great for hiking, canoeing etc.

https://www.opeongooutfitters.com/

is one outfitter in the park.

We went here a couple of years ago.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ope....4029422?hl=en

and barely canoed 1/4 of the north south distance of the lake in a couple of hours. If you are camping in Algonquin Park you get cheaper rates.

Canoe Lake is a nice place to go to and there is a good visitor centre in the park and also an art gallery.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's a dark sky area, so if you were to stay overnight that would be something to do (there's an observatory in the middle of it) Astronomy | Algonquin Provincial Park | The Friends of Algonquin Park . Other than that - it's a wild expanse of forest, not sure what you are expecting to do or see other than trees, water and wild life Moose, mosquitos, trout fishing, bears. Autumn is magical there, the trees in full colours. Do keep in mind that it's a National Park and may not be open by April, the May long weekend is when many of the park facilities will open. Spring in Algonquin Park | Algonquin Provincial Park | The Friends of Algonquin Park
The highway (#60) is open year round but if you get off the highway and park/hike etc you are supposed to have a pass that you pay for at the entrances. I've been in February for a nature hike/bird watching trip and it wasn't as cold as I was expecting but much more snow on the ground than in Ottawa.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 4:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my children used to go camping there each February so it's either open year round or trespassers aren't effectively barred. I gather it could get a bit nippy there.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 10:46 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, will be reasonably reminiscent of our Rockies trip for our honeymoon in 2014 in terms of wildlife, things to do etc. by the sounds of it then.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Mew lake campground was open when we went one March break. It had a cleared ice skating rink by the facility block.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 11:16 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
Thanks all, will be reasonably reminiscent of our Rockies trip for our honeymoon in 2014 in terms of wildlife, things to do etc. by the sounds of it then.
I'd suggest staying at The East Gate Motel one night and eating at the Mad Musher. Tkhe motel is cheap, clean, basic, run by great people and you get a good breakfast. Though if you get up early and drive along highway 60 you stand a good chance of seeing a moose and maybe a bear. Unless youre going back country, and thats not really possible in a day youre unlikely to come across one. The outfitters and stores won't be open until mid April and not will the Logging Museum but that trail is open year round. The day trails are good and the exhibits at the Visitor Centre are interesting.