Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Air Canada and others jobsworth

Wikiposts

Air Canada and others jobsworth

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 1:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Canada and others jobsworth

Originally Posted by MarkG
That said, the fees for checked bags are annoying. I can live with one, but how many people really fly without any at all?
I do. I regularly travel for a week or more for work/university committments and take carry on only. And it always weighs less than the 10kg allowed and fits in the QANTAS carry on size checker thingy.

Last year I went to Europe (from Australia) for 4 weeks with one suitcase and no carry on.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 2:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I do. I regularly travel for a week or more for work/university committments and take carry on only. And it always weighs less than the 10kg allowed and fits in the QANTAS carry on size checker thingy.

Last year I went to Europe (from Australia) for 4 weeks with one suitcase and no carry on.

When I went to Australia for 2 weeks, carried everything in a standard 22 inch carry on.

It's amazing what you can fit in a carry on when you only take essentials.

Oh and I never travel with more then 5 days of clothes, I just do laundry if staying more then 5 days.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 4:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When I went to Australia for 2 weeks, carried everything in a standard 22 inch carry on.

Oh and I never travel with more then 5 days of clothes, I just do laundry if staying more then 5 days.
Yup. Me too.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 7:06 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

There is something to be said for that. Although it is easier when travelling to warmer climes (tshirt instead of sweaters, etc).
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I always found the less I took, the more space there was for the one coming with me to use.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:06 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I try not to take a checked bag if I'm travelling on business and staying less than a week. It does depend on season and occasion, though. If I have to pack suits, sweaters, winter boots, etc it's not as easy to avoid checked bags as if it's a "business casual" thing in summertime.

On a number of occasions, flying on piddly little aircraft that don't have full-size overhead bins, airline staff will ask for volunteers to check baggage at the gate. If I have a regulation-size carryon bag and a laptop bag that'll sit on the floor in front of me, that's an easy way to curry favour with gate staff, and means I get the bag back at the door of the plane, rather than having to wait at a baggage carousel. And, of course, you don't have to pay extra fees as it's still classed as cabin baggage.