Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Air Canada ordered to pay $12,000 to passenger

Air Canada ordered to pay $12,000 to passenger

Old Jul 20th 2011, 2:30 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Canada ordered to pay $12,000 to passenger

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If all they were concerned about was their rights and not money, why sue for half a million dollars?
As previously noted, he is a wanker. But Air Canada is expected serve that wanker in French and have an obligation to do so.

If you don't give companies a reason to do something they find difficult and inconvenient, they probably won't do it.

If he'd made a polite complaint to the flight attendant, do you think they would have given a toss?

A non-wanker might have sued just to make the point, but not for half a mil.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:00 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
If you don't give companies a reason to do something they find difficult and inconvenient, they probably won't do it.
Whilst this might be true in the general sense of companies causing environmental damage or committing fraud it is erroneous to apply this logic to a private companies customer service. What next - the government dictating how long you have to wait for pizza hut to deliver a pizza?

Air Canada should not legally be coerced into providing french or english. If people don't like it - they can use another air-line.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:17 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005

Air Canada should not legally be coerced into providing french or english. If people don't like it - they can use another air-line.
Air Canada receives corporate welfare.

As a former crown corp, it is also subject to the Official Languages Act in its entirety. The Act compels Air Canada not only to provide communications and service to the public in both official languages

Basically, it doesn`t run the same as Pizza Pizza.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:03 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada receives corporate welfare.

As a former crown corp, it is also subject to the Official Languages Act in its entirety. The Act compels Air Canada not only to provide communications and service to the public in both official languages

Basically, it doesn`t run the same as Pizza Pizza.
Oh, I know. That's the way it is - this is Canada after all.

I guess my view is that Air Canada should not be treated any differently to BA, or any other air-line. i.e. no subsidy, no extra regulation, and no extra protection. Otherwise, if they wanted it to be ran like a crown corp - it shouldn't have been privatized.

I realize this is pie in the sky - but if you can't opine on shit like this on the internet, where can you do it?

Last edited by Alan2005; Jul 20th 2011 at 4:06 am.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Oh, I know. That's the way it is - this is Canada after all.

I guess my view is that Air Canada should not be treated any differently to BA, or any other air-line. i.e. no subsidy, no extra regulation, and no extra protection. Otherwise, if they wanted it to be ran like a crown corp - it shouldn't have been privatized.

I realize this is pie in the sky - but if you can't opine on shit like this on the internet, where can you do it?
BA only started to make a profit though when Maggie wrote off £200m in govt debt. and privatised it.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:28 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

As previously noted, he is a wanker. But Air Canada is expected serve that wanker in French and have an obligation to do so.

If he'd made a polite complaint to the flight attendant, do you think they would have given a toss?

A non-wanker might have sued just to make the point, but not for half a mil.
Still don't see what this has to do with any of this

But are you a native French speaker concerned about protecting their hard-won and very recent language rights?

A number of people on this forum are very concerned about credential recognition for foreign-trained professionals for example. Unfairness here, protectionism there. Expensive exams. Challenging the Red Seal. etc etc.

Most Canadians couldn't give a stuff about that issue of course, as it doesn't impact them personally.

They might just think that new immigrants who choose to come here should suck it up and do what it takes.

But then, they might not have a full appreciation of the issue or a personal experience of it.
And the guy who sued was a government employee who was bilingual and lived in Ottawa not Quebec. I am not even sure that French was his first language. So not too much about protecting his hard won right to preserve French.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:35 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

And the guy who sued was a government employee who was bilingual and lived in Ottawa not Quebec. I am not even sure that French was his first language. So not too much about protecting his hard won right to preserve French.
With a name like Michel Thibodeau, I imagine his first language to be French.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
With a sir name like that I'd be wanting to sue my father.....
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:55 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
With a sir name like that I'd be wanting to sue my father.....
Why? It's not an unusual name.

FWIW, the Quebeckers I have talked to about this think the bloke is a tit.

I'd love to see him go to Chelsea or Wakefield and start bitching. He'd probably end up in the Gatineau River.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Why? It's not an unusual name.

FWIW, the Quebeckers I have talked to about this think the bloke is a tit.

I'd love to see him go to Chelsea or Wakefield and start bitching. He'd probably end up in the Gatineau River.
Sorry, my post was 'tongue in cheek'....
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:13 pm

I feel sure if all he wanted to do was make a point, his lawyer writing to the companies head office would have had the desire effect.

His actions in suing for cash have just added to the cost of business for the carrier, another on the list of costs to recover with fare increases.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 4:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

His actions in suing for cash have just added to the cost of business for the carrier, another on the list of costs to recover with fare increases.

Or even unfare increases.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

What does any of that have to do with a passenger, who is Canadian, speaks French and English suing a company because they could not order a pop in French. Someone who is fluently bilingual. If all they were concerned about was their rights and not money, why sue for half a million dollars?

And yes, t is the way it is here and immigrants coming to Canada have to deal with it, the same as immigrants going to any country, even the UK.
I can order a drink in every language. 3 natural languages using hand gestures (e.g. with the servers throat in one hand and the other shaped as a fist. Works every time).
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:24 am
Just Joined

debby66 is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no need for insults,i was just passing my comment on...and i speak perfectly good queens english..and by the way google quebeckian ...its a REAL word...but depending where some people are from in the uk...maybe they are too dense too realise that...
its a free speech forum and everyone is entitled to their say.
HAVE A NICE DAY.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by debby66
there is no need for insults,i was just passing my comment on...and i speak perfectly good queens english..and by the way google quebeckian ...its a REAL word...but depending where some people are from in the uk...maybe they are too dense too realise that...
its a free speech forum and everyone is entitled to their say.
HAVE A NICE DAY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.