Ah....Atheists

Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ah....Atheists

Originally Posted by montreal mike
and so it should be

this is in sharp contrast to the innkeepers in the UK who, because of deep religious convictions, figured it was their prerogative to say gays not welcomed

somehow it was wasn't their prerogative, was it?
Very good point.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:39 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like Utah and visited reasonably often even before I took up with the woman who grew up there. Obviously the people who have religion are quite odd but that's true of many places, Ontario included. I don't find the Mormons any more of a problem to visitors than say, Catholics in Ireland or Muslims in Malaysia. That said, Under the Banner of Heaven is essential reading.
What is it about?

I find Mormonism even more dubious than mainstream Christianity. How can they possibly believe scripture put together by an illiterate known 19th century conman? From what I can tell (having visited SLC and spoken to various followers) it is a social cult, with great social and monetary dividends available to those who choose to suppress the their doubts. And for certain male followers, other worldly delights also ensue.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:44 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What is it about?

I find Mormonism even more dubious than mainstream Christianity. How can they possibly believe scripture put together by an illiterate known 19th century conman? From what I can tell (having visited SLC and spoken to various followers) it is a social cult, with great social and monetary dividends available to those who choose to suppress the their doubts. And for certain male followers, other worldly delights also ensue.
Like Scientology, but with more wives....
Old Dec 10th 2013, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about?
Mormonism!

http://www.amazon.ca/Under-Banner-He.../dp/1400032806

I find Mormonism even more dubious than mainstream Christianity. How can they possibly believe scripture put together by an illiterate known 19th century conman?
I don't see a major difference between irrational belief with recent prophets and irrational belief with ancient profits. I think it's splitting hairs to say that one is less bonkers than the other because it's miracles are less probable.

From what I can tell (having visited SLC and spoken to various followers) it is a social cult, with great social and monetary dividends available to those who choose to suppress the their doubts. And for certain male followers, other worldly delights also ensue.
I generally agree but polygamous marriage and the attendant child abuse is more common in Canada, Mexico and Arizona than Utah.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting piece on living in Utah while being indifferent to Mormonism:

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/2...by-jim-stiles/
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:09 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Mormonism!

http://www.amazon.ca/Under-Banner-He.../dp/1400032806

I don't see a major difference between irrational belief with recent prophets and irrational belief with ancient profits. I think it's splitting hairs to say that one is less bonkers than the other because it's miracles are less probable.

I generally agree but polygamous marriage and the attendant child abuse is more common in Canada, Mexico and Arizona than Utah.
I wouldn't say its splitting hairs. A religion that has "stood the test of time" and is practised the world over is more believable than one formulated almost within living memory. There is no point in lumping all religions together when some are less plausible than others.

There was a case of polygamy in the BC interior a few years ago, but I wasn't aware that it was particularly widespread in Canada. I have little knowledge of Mexico other than the Mexican's make bloody tasty food!

Last edited by Shard; Dec 10th 2013 at 2:10 am. Reason: PS. Will read article in due course.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

A religion that has "stood the test of time" and is practised the world over is more believable than one formulated almost within living memory.
Why? What is more probable about, say, Noah saving all the world's animals on a single boat than the e-meter working? Once rationality is set aside then all ideas are equal.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:26 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say its splitting hairs. A religion that has "stood the test of time" and is practised the world over is more believable than one formulated almost within living memory. There is no point in lumping all religions together when some are less plausible than others.
There was a case of polygamy in the BC interior a few years ago, but I wasn't aware that it was particularly widespread in Canada. I have little knowledge of Mexico other than the Mexican's make bloody tasty food!
Well said, and any rationale person will concur with that

Your hamper is on its way geezer
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:37 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Not only have I seen the channels but I went to that Crystal Cathedral place in California, also to the Mormon tabernacle thingy in SLC. The latter is architecturally impressive but, oh my, the performers I saw were just on this side of certifiable.
omg you went to the Crystal Cathedral? *jealous*
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:42 am
me/moi

Why? What is more probable about, say, Noah saving all the world's animals on a single boat than the e-meter working? Once rationality is set aside then all ideas are equal.
Noah's Ark is simply one part of the Christian myth, and one could (and should) argue that it is allegorical; and e-meter (Scientology) is an actual device which can be shown through science to not be fit for purpose.

I accept that rationality is absolute, but it doesn't follow that all ideas are equal. For example a Satanic cult may be as irrational as a Anglican congregation, but it is far more dangerous.

Drawing distinctions between religions spotlights their unique irrationality and aids enlightenment. IMO, of course.

Last edited by Shard; Dec 10th 2013 at 2:45 am.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:45 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
omg you went to the Crystal Cathedral? *jealous*
Had not heard of it before. Quite an impressive structure. I do like cathedrals!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a God, why would it matter to them how they are worshipped? If they really have a preference perhaps they should make it known to all to remove any future unpleasantness about who sacrificed what in what manner to whom.

So in that respect all the religions would have the last laugh over the atheists.

And if there isnt a God, then all religions seem equally bobbins I suspect.

And if there are multiple gods then lets hope they dont all talk to each other, in which case we may get away with just worshiping the one if they all think that attention was for them personally....
Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:58 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by iaink
If there is a God, why would it matter to them how they are worshipped?

So in that respect all the religions would have the last laugh over the atheists.

Would it matter? NO. A resounding NO. Would a power capable of creating the universe actually demand or expect "worship"? Is there any logic to that? An "all mighty power" expecting some kind of tribal worship, and getting offended without it...it's something an elementary school student might make up. Yet so many base their lives on such inconsistencies.

I don't see how all the religions would have the last laugh if there were a god. Unless of course you say that worship does matter. That worship is necessary in order to be "saved". You're not suggesting that, surely?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:14 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Would it matter? NO. A resounding NO. Would a power capable of creating the universe actually demand or expect "worship"? Is there any logic to that? An "all mighty power" expecting some kind of tribal worship, and getting offended without it...it's something an elementary school student might make up. Yet so many base their lives on such inconsistencies.

I don't see how all the religions would have the last laugh if there were a god. Unless of course you say that worship does matter. That worship is necessary in order to be "saved". You're not suggesting that, surely?
Im not suggesting anything, Im an atheist who tries to live life like Karma was a real thing...
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:18 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by iaink
Im not suggesting anything, Im an atheist who tries to live life like Karma was a real thing...
I know you're atheist, but you're letting the side down dude/Sir (delete as appropriate) with some inconsistent commentary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.