Ageism

Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ageism

Originally Posted by Oink
38-40?
Yikes. That makes me ancient then!!! I suppose if you see me dying at 66 then I've reached old age anyway!!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think 60 must be the older equivalent of 20 - neither one nor the other.

19 is a great age as you're still a teenager but into adulthood.

20, no longer a teenager but still short of "21"

At 60 you're not in your 50s anymore and not yet a senior - albeit I became a pensioner (not an old age one) at 50
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

This is an good analogy.....aging starts when you "become" 21... read on...

You BECOME 21; you TURN 30; You're PUSHING 40; you REACH 50; then you MAKE IT to 60. By then you've built up so much speed, you HIT 70.

After that, it's a day by day thing. You HIT Wednesday...

You get into your 80's; you HIT lunch, you HIT 4:30. My Grandmother won't even buy green bananas. "Well, it's an investment, you know, and maybe a bad one."

And it doesn't end there....

Into the 90's, you start going backwards. "I was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens; if you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half."
Old Oct 13th 2017, 6:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
This is an good analogy.....aging starts when you "become" 21... read on...

You BECOME 21; you TURN 30; You're PUSHING 40; you REACH 50; then you MAKE IT to 60. By then you've built up so much speed, you HIT 70.

After that, it's a day by day thing. You HIT Wednesday...

You get into your 80's; you HIT lunch, you HIT 4:30. My Grandmother won't even buy green bananas. "Well, it's an investment, you know, and maybe a bad one."

And it doesn't end there....

Into the 90's, you start going backwards. "I was JUST 92."

Then a strange thing happens; if you make it over 100, you become a little kid again. "I'm 100 and a half."

I didn't like 28 (to close to 30); liked 40; not bothered from 50 onwards. Aiming to get to 150 (stretch goal) but will be happy with 120.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard

I didn't like 28 (to close to 30); liked 40; not bothered from 50 onwards. Aiming to get to 150 (stretch goal) but will be happy with 120.
Im with you on 28, I started to get concerned then....30 came and was fine. 37 38 39 really concerned me and 40 mortified me (at 47 i have only just recovered and now dont care 47? 50? no difference. Its game over. youth was another time another dimension

So Shard is going to be 120, any one else take a guess at their life expectancy....im thinking 73 for myself, hope its longer (providing i still havea reasonable quality of life)

Dont suppose 73 is that old these days and will seem even less old by the time I reach it.

Were getting quite morbid now!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Im with you on 28, I started to get concerned then....30 came and was fine. 37 38 39 really concerned me and 40 mortified me (at 47 i have only just recovered and now dont care 47? 50? no difference. Its game over. youth was another time another dimension

So Shard is going to be 120, any one else take a guess at their life expectancy....im thinking 73 for myself, hope its longer (providing i still havea reasonable quality of life)

Dont suppose 73 is that old these days and will seem even less old by the time I reach it.

Oinks prediction is that I will be 66. I'm guessing I'll be a bit older than that...perhaps 89... I like that number!!! 90 just seems to be old! But then my great grandmother was 108, she got telegrams from the Queen!!! I'd like that
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

73 is way too young. You gotta have at least an 8 in front of it, and given your relative youth maybe even a 9!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shard
73 is way too young. You gotta have at least an 8 in front of it, and given your relative youth maybe even a 9!
Shard just doesn't want to end up alone on BE talking to himself!!!
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My sister went to the Gallapagos Islands and South America for her 60th
For her 65th, she went on a 45 day cruise taking in the Azores, Carribean (where she went diving), S. America, a trip up the Amazon etc.
She is now planning her 70th birthday trip.. having just spent her 69th camping in Quebec for 3 weeks! (She also went canoeing and swimming whilst in the Northern Bruce Peninsula)

Your as old as you feel - or your body dictates!

Old Oct 13th 2017, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My body feels old.

My brain feels like I am 20.

Who knows how long I'll live.

My mom's side her dad is in his mid 80s. My great grandmother on my mom's side lives to 92. My great great grandmother lived to 90s as well.

My grandmother mom's side died when my mom was 10.

My dad's side grandfather died at 62 from complications from heart surgery.

My great grandfather died at 72.

If I had to guess I would say somewhere between age 62 and 73.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread and the first time I've posted in the Canadian forum (I think).

We currently live in the UK but are all dual Oz/Brit citizens. I've been made redundant a couple of times in the UK and had to take contract roles rather than perm. However, I think it does get more difficult with age.

I've just landed a very good role and was offered more than the maximum they would go to originally, just in order to get me to start. It was a case of 'right time, right place' and having some (fairly) hard to come by experience (albeit 8-10 yrs ago in Sydney). But for sure it can wear you down and I had some knock backs for much lessor roles.

I'm 52, probably look a bit younger, have a 3.5year old daughter and I've just completed another Ironman race (Wales). I often get comments like "I couldn't do that at your age (either kids or racing) and most of the time I usually reply with 'No, probably not'.

Usually shuts 'em up

It's hard as you get older not to think that things are slipping away from your grasp but I have found it very useful to focus on other aspects of why I did or did not get a role and work on them in way that being positive and really well researched at an interview can deflect from your age.

I'm a firm believer in spending energy to create energy.

I wish you all the best of luck.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
...my great grandmother was 108, she got telegrams from the Queen!!! I'd like that
Not sure Liz will be around then. Queen Meghan?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Your as old as you feel - or your body dictates!
All too true
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not sure Liz will be around then. Queen Meghan?

All too true
Queen Katherine surely unless you're planning on having King William and his little princes quietly removed from the picture?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:33 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Queen Katherine surely unless you're planning on having King William and his little princes quietly removed from the picture?
I have absolutely no idea. But I was working on the basis that by then rules may change and/or there have been a few Borgia style shenanigans.

Besides which, Meghan (as a name) is funnier.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have absolutely no idea. But I was working on the basis that by then rules may change and/or there have been a few Borgia style shenanigans.

Besides which, Meghan (as a name) is funnier.
Haha. Queen Meg! Sounds very regal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.