Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

afternoon drink etiquette

afternoon drink etiquette

Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default afternoon drink etiquette

We've been invited to a future neighbours swanky house for "afternoon/early evening drinks". Apparently we wont be having dinner just some food to soak the alchohol. What is the etiquette for these events? If I were going to dinner at a friends I would take some wine but what should I take (if anything) for afternoon drinks? We wont be having masses of drink as one of us has to drive home anyway. Should I take flowers instead? We dont know these people well enough to really know what they like or what they expect. Are afternoon drinks a Canadian thing? Afternoon drinks for me mean going to the pub and getting a bottle of beer... Any suggestions would be a bonus!! Thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:31 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: afternoon drink etiquette

Originally Posted by h_henry
We've been invited to a future neighbours swanky house for "afternoon/early evening drinks". Apparently we wont be having dinner just some food to soak the alchohol. What is the etiquette for these events? If I were going to dinner at a friends I would take some wine but what should I take (if anything) for afternoon drinks? We wont be having masses of drink as one of us has to drive home anyway. Should I take flowers instead? We dont know these people well enough to really know what they like or what they expect. Are afternoon drinks a Canadian thing? Afternoon drinks for me mean going to the pub and getting a bottle of beer... Any suggestions would be a bonus!! Thanks.

You know I read something about this recently - I think it is the done thing to take a small gift for the hosts in the form of something like fancy biscuits, flowers or they did say something else but blowed if I can remember - for some reason choccies were not a good idea but personally I think that's a load of old tosh. Just take something nicely presented and they will be pleased anyway..... oh, I remembered - it was a basket of goodies/fruits

Hope that helps
Ki
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken wine to parties/ social gatherings in the past only to find they don't drink wine , so now i just ask, explaining that i'm new to this, it seems to work fine
Old Sep 17th 2006, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

oh yes we did that too. last thanksgiving we stayed in a B&B and they asked us to join them in the evening so we bought wine and then found out they were tee total.

mmm think a trip to florist may be in order then...? chocolates are not a good idea for the sole reason i'd eat them on the way as i have no will power with regards to chocolate.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 9:02 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes we did that too. last thanksgiving we stayed in a B&B and they asked us to join them in the evening so we bought wine and then found out they were tee total.

mmm think a trip to florist may be in order then...? chocolates are not a good idea for the sole reason i'd eat them on the way as i have no will power with regards to chocolate.
LOL - me either...
Old Sep 17th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

What is the etiquette for these events? If I were going to dinner at a friends I would take some wine but what should I take (if anything)
From my experience in Canada - play it safe and take a bouquet of flowers or maybe a 'mixed' gift basket, you can't go too far wrong. Just don't go empty handed

I too, once took alcohol to non-drinkers (quite embarrasing )
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't take presents for drinks-only affairs, but would if the host was preparing food. But we've already established with the shoe removal thread that my etiquette is wildly out of synch with Canadians so feel free to ignore me and take a little something
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Take a small but thoughtful gift. Dont take alcohol if you dont know what or if they drink. Nothing expensive, its the thought that counts - but dont go empty-handed. Flowers, fruit basket, plant something like that would be really nice if you dont know much about them. My mom sometimes takes candles or a really really nice packet of dinner napkins as a gift. The people will make a fuss and say oh you shouldnt have.....but really its a compliment that you did bring something and wont be forgotten.

They will more than likely be serving hor'd-orves at the party.....but rememb er to take off your shoes at the door!

Last edited by willmore; Sep 17th 2006 at 11:51 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Chocolates, nice cookies or a small fruit basket are fine - nothing elaborate or OTT.

A small bouquet of flowers is fine too, but bring them in one of those cheap vases you can pick up at thrift stores, so the hostess doesn't have to run around looking for something to put them in.

Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

I know they do drink alchohol so I may get wine. Flowers are always nice but I only ever have bought them for ppl I am close to so it feels a bit weird getting flowers for nr strangers.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll have a brwose around the local shops.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I know they do drink alchohol so I may get wine. Flowers are always nice but I only ever have bought them for ppl I am close to so it feels a bit weird getting flowers for nr strangers.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll have a brwose around the local shops.

If you know that they drink, you really cant go wrong with a bottle of wine!

Have fun at the party.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Mawhaha, they weren't tee total at the B & B we stayed at in NS recently. We had a good drink with them on our last night