Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Adrian Chiles - Drinkers Like Me

Adrian Chiles - Drinkers Like Me

Old Nov 17th 2018, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adrian Chiles - Drinkers Like Me

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
. I woke up this morning without a hangover at 0800 and as there was a day of rugby on the box, I did the christian thing and bought a twelve pack of Sleeman draught tall boys. Those are now gone so I'm sat here twiddling my thumbs debating on whether to go and get more booze.

What a waste of money
A 12 pack (341 ml or 500 ml ?) between 08h and 17h and you're thinking of having more !!!! I'm glad I'm not able to keep up with that pace.

In the summer met up with a friend at a local pub. Had a pint about 20h30 and then about 22h wanted another but settled on a half as I was the driver. By about 23h45 my friend had gone through 3 pints and wanted another but I decided to try a no-alcohol pint. I think it was Becks and it was awful. I drank about a third of it and asked for a soft drink which they provided free of charge.
Old Nov 17th 2018, 10:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought his built in milk frother was rather cool in a sort of an absurd way.

As for booze, I'm trying to increase my consumption, I'm aiming to get to 200 units a week by June.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

My long time, good friend died this year after drinking and smoking heavily for many years. He stopped smoking some 10 years ago when doctor told him he had COPD and his golfing days would be over within one year. He stopped cold turkey and it gave him 8 more years of golf, albeit mostly using an electric cart. His breathing became very laboured and about a year from his end he was on oxygen 24/7. Unfortunately no decrease with the drinking. He continued with that at probably 4-5 large bottles of Scotch and 48 beers a week. He was not a pretty sight at the end.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

As for booze, I'm trying to increase my consumption, I'm aiming to get to 200 units a week by June.

So, you have a death wish, I guess.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 7:23 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

No judgemental comments on this thread please.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 9:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
No judgemental comments on this thread please.
We're all too pissed to care.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

So, you have a death wish, I guess.
We all need goals.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 10:07 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were on yoghurt and lentil juice these days, with only the occasional lager-frenzy when HID goes on a work trip?
Old Nov 18th 2018, 1:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating documentary but seriously bloody depressing. It scares me how much people I know and love drink and they're definitely in the Chiles camp. I used to drink a lot but for whatever reason my body slowly but surely put the brakes on. I used to love red wine but then I couldn't smell it without it starting a four day migraine. I went on to white wine and the same thing happened. I had kids and my body just refused to accept alcohol for years, one drink and I'd feel as sick as a pig. Gone are the days of me and a friend sinking a bottle of vodka between us! Now one vodka and coke or one bottle of Stella is my limit a night and I watch friends boasting almost on FB about how much they drank last night and honestly wonder if it's me with the issue and they're the norm and that's sad.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 1:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is coming, and that means a lot of people will drink more than they usually do, causing the usual holiday problems.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 1:40 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
A 12 pack (341 ml or 500 ml ?) between 08h and 17h and you're thinking of having more !!!! I'm glad I'm not able to keep up with that pace.
They were 500ml's and I respectfully didn't open the bar until noon. As luck would have it, later on the missus came home from the mall with the two youngest at 1730 with an 8 pack of Strongbow.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX2opvj7WE8

Aired recently on the BBC, for those who haven't seen it yet. Adrian Chiles confronts his "normal, regular drinking."

Hit a raw nerve with me, I must admit.
Anyone familiar with the Low Life column in the Spectator will remember Jeffrey Barnard. Keith Waterhouse wrote a play about Barnard's chaotic life as one of Soho's most celebrated drinkers. Peter O'Toole, another famous boozer, played Barnard at the Old Vic in 'Jeffrey Barnard is Unwell.'
In supermarkets round where I live the alcohol aisles have grim and censorious warnings about booze consumption.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...d-1237687.html
Old Nov 18th 2018, 6:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Neat segue here - Jeffrey Bernard's brother, the poet Oliver Bernard, lived in my little Norfolk village until his death in 2013. A local walking path has been named after him. Death aside, he generally kept better health than Jeffrey

I remember going into the Coach and Horses numerous times in Soho, each time hoping to see JB but I never did. I think he was mainly a daytime drinker.