ADHD

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ADHD

I know as a 5 year old the doctors said I likely had ADD. The new psychiatrists seems to think I am still ADD but have added an H into it and calls it ADHD.

The doctor has given me 3 choices:

No medication at all which ends visits to the psychiatrist.

Medication not approved for ADHD but may offer some some relief.

Adderal which after reading seems to scare the pants off me with all the heart warnings for adults and sudden cardiac death mentioned numerous times.

There is a non-stimulant medication which seems to not be as risky, but it's also not covered so would pay full price each month 150-200 estimate.

I am leaning towards no medication at the moment, but then I am also curious to see if a medication brings any improvement and would possibly let me concentrate and maybe not be so all over the place thought and concentration wise which could maybe let me do well in school.

Tough researching it and trying to come to a decision, I only see the psychiatrist every 2 to 3 months for 20 mins or so, so don't get much time to gain info from the doctor.

I am just not sure if there are any viable non-medication treatments for ADHD that don't involve expensive counseling.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 6:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADHD

This chart of drugs available for adult ADHD throughout Canada might be helpful - you could then research the different drugs yourself. http://www.caddra.ca/pdfs/Medication...ish_CANADA.pdf and then use the BC pharmacare website to ascertain which ones are covered. Downloadable Drug Data Files - Province of British Columbia

I've found www.rxlist.com a good website for finding out all the side effects etc.

The website seems pretty good and has some information you might find of use (if you haven't already found it). Adults - CADDRA - Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance

Edited to add, there are some support groups for adult ADHD sufferers in BC, this website has some useful info on drugs, free resources and etc. http://www.caddac.ca/cms/page.php?221 and more stuff here http://bcadhd.com/

(I'm sure you have already researched all this, but just in case...)

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 3rd 2015 at 7:04 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 7:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
This chart of drugs available for adult ADHD throughout Canada might be helpful - you could then research the different drugs yourself. http://www.caddra.ca/pdfs/Medication...ish_CANADA.pdf and then use the BC pharmacare website to ascertain which ones are covered. Downloadable Drug Data Files - Province of British Columbia

I've found www.rxlist.com a good website for finding out all the side effects etc.

The website seems pretty good and has some information you might find of use (if you haven't already found it). Adults - CADDRA - Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance

Edited to add, there are some support groups for adult ADHD sufferers in BC, this website has some useful info on drugs, free resources and etc. Support Groups: Other Provinces - Caddac and more stuff here BC ADHD - Information on ADHD in BC, Canada

(I'm sure you have already researched all this, but just in case...)

I went through the BC Formulary using the meds in this chart you linked

And none of the non-stimulants are covered with 2 of the stimulants covered. Due to anxiety and other health concerns, a stimulant is a poor option with high risk which is the issue.

Looking on pharmacy compass Straterra generic runs 4 to 5 per pill. Adds up quickly.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 11:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

All I know there was quite the black market when I was in college for 'surplus' ADHD medication.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

if you wish to keep fit at little or no expense and help the elderly in your community, get an axe, go to the beach and chop some of those logs (trees) up. I am sure you would benefit and so would those in need of extra heating through the winter.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
if you wish to keep fit at little or no expense and help the elderly in your community, get an axe, go to the beach and chop some of those logs (trees) up. I am sure you would benefit and so would those in need of extra heating through the winter.
as to what that has to do with ADD.

There is some legality issues about that idea, not to mention no possible way to remove the wood from the beach....
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops! It has absolutely nothing, I meant to post on the "so I asked the locals". Sorry� ���� Perhaps a mod might move it....

You mentioned legal issues with removing logs, I would have thought it would be a public service to tidy the beach. Only saying...
Old Nov 4th 2015, 2:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
...get an axe, go to the beach and chop some of those logs...
Old Nov 4th 2015, 2:24 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Bothered self help information online but one of the most useful things I was told was to not expect to do anything for more than 10 minutes. Ie start cleaning up, then read, the paint, write emails, go for a walk. Whatever. It's much easier if you don't beat yourself up about it.

You must be able to concentrate more than you give yourself credit for as you write long posts on here. I rarely do, I get bored before the end, hah, or maybe my posts are boring.

Just be you. Don't do labels. You are what you are and that's fine, find ways to work with it not hide it.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:12 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this site linked to in the Guardian relating to CBT.

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:32 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Bothered self help information online but one of the most useful things I was told was to not expect to do anything for more than 10 minutes. Ie start cleaning up, then read, the paint, write emails, go for a walk. Whatever. It's much easier if you don't beat yourself up about it.

You must be able to concentrate more than you give yourself credit for as you write long posts on here. I rarely do, I get bored before the end,
hah, or maybe my posts are boring.

Just be you. Don't do labels. You are what you are and that's fine, find ways to work with it not hide it.
You have made an excellent point there- on a recurring basis too, certainly not a one off- who suggested the diagnosis of ADD JS, I'm intrigued. You may have an inattention variant but from what you tell us about yourself, you don't show significant hyperactivity symptoms. Maybe it is just me ( and bats) but I dislike clinical "labels" - you seem to have been given a number already I giving you more I don't feel is helpful- just my opinion

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 12th 2015 at 12:41 am.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
You have made an excellent point there- on a recurring basis too, certainly not a one off- who suggested the diagnosis of ADD JS, I'm intrigued. You may have an inattention variant but from what you tell us about yourself, you don't show significant hyperactivity symptoms. Maybe it is just me ( and bats) but I dislike clinical "labels" - you seem to have been given a number already I giving you more I don't feel is helpful- just my opinion
Psychologist in 1985, and the current psychiatrist who read that report and spent 90 minutes talking to me on the first day.

I am not sure to be honest all the differences, I just know I have trouble sitting and concentrating especially when others are around/noises/distractions and I am more likely to spend time on things I like vs what I don't and tend to do well in the topics I like and can concentrate quite well, but then in say math or history, my mind wanders as I can't seem to stay focused for whatever reason.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I understood that ADD/ADHAD people have the ability to hyperfocus
Old Nov 12th 2015, 6:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gryphea
I understood that ADD/ADHAD people have the ability to hyperfocus
I read this part at the link below and it's more or less what I do and what I have done all my life.

"the tendency for children and adults with attention deficit disorder to focus very intently on things that do interest them. At times, the focus is so strong that they become oblivious to the world around them.

For children, the object of "hyperfocus" might be playing a video game or watching TV. For adults, it might be shopping or surfing the Internet. But whatever holds the attention, the result is the same: Unless something or someone interrupts, hours drift by as important tasks and relationships fall by the wayside."

- See more at: ADHD and Hyperfocus: Intense Concentration in ADHD Kids and Adults
Old Nov 12th 2015, 7:15 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I read this part at the link below and it's more or less what I do and what I have done all my life.

"the tendency for children and adults with attention deficit disorder to focus very intently on things that do interest them. At times, the focus is so strong that they become oblivious to the world around them.

For children, the object of "hyperfocus" might be playing a video game or watching TV. For adults, it might be shopping or surfing the Internet. But whatever holds the attention, the result is the same: Unless something or someone interrupts, hours drift by as important tasks and relationships fall by the wayside."

- See more at: ADHD and Hyperfocus: Intense Concentration in ADHD Kids and Adults
Then it might be an idea to ease back off B. expats- it does seem to occupy a considerable portion of your day observing as an outsider.Things can rapidly become an obsession unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.