British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Addicited to Tim Hortons - Miss my timmies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/addicited-tim-hortons-miss-my-timmies-632870/)

Alan2005 Sep 27th 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Addicited to Tim Hortons - Miss my timmies

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7970157)
I had to google him. It appears he was born in Tatamagouche. Where you can swim in the sea in December.

I'm not sure what japanese electronic pets have to do with anything, but I never understood the ex-pat fascination with tim hortons. "Timmies" is just awful.... yes, really it is.

bsmith Sep 27th 2009 6:39 pm

I believe I'm right in thinking they're mentioned somewhere in the Canadian national anthem - round about verse five or six I think.

Londonuck Sep 27th 2009 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 7970327)
I don't drink coffee but I do miss their muffins, timbits and donuts. Probably for the best that they don't have them here in Oz!

If you're really desperate there are online shops that sell Canadian food in Australia (they usually have Tim Hortons coffee). Here's one link although if you do a search you'll find a few others.

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/ca...rages_s/24.htm

They're actually selling it in my local Spar shop here in Wicklow Ireland. Only time i'd have a Tim's was in Port Alberni on way to Tofino.

Souvy Sep 27th 2009 11:05 pm

Tim Hortons serves one purpose and one alone: toilets.

SNOWDUDE Sep 27th 2009 11:16 pm

Wasn't there a conspiracy theory a while back that TH was laced with something to make it addictive?

Souvy Sep 27th 2009 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by SNOWDUDE (Post 7971196)
Wasn't there a conspiracy theory a while back that TH was laced with something to make it addictive?

Yes. Some nutter suggested that it contained traces of caffeine. The theory was soon debunked.

Partially discharged Sep 27th 2009 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 7971168)
Tim Hortons serves one purpose and one alone: toilets.

Brilliant...the only time I go in a Tim's is when on a long trip and I need to use the facilities...they are usually so busy you can get in the toilets w/o buying anything and staff noticing.

Souvy Sep 28th 2009 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 7971289)
Brilliant...the only time I go in a Tim's is when on a long trip and I need to use the facilities...they are usually so busy you can get in the toilets w/o buying anything and staff noticing.

Quite. The only one I ever go into is on the highway, mid-way between Ottawa and Montreal.

dbd33 Sep 28th 2009 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 7971289)

Indeed. What is it that makes people queue, on foot, or in cars, for longer to buy an indifferent cup of coffee than it takes to drink it?

I don't really mind the coffee, it's wet and warm, but I can't stand the sort of people who buy doughnuts; they're the same bloody doughnuts as yesterday, surely there's no need to dither over the choice. I also hate that no one at Tim Horton's speaks English so unless you use the precise form of words they're used to, and affect a peasant accent, you get a random drink.

fledermaus Sep 28th 2009 12:21 am

I like Tim Horton's coffee. I also like real coffee which I have yet to find in Canada.

oo no, that's not true. I did buy a coffee from Java Joe's. That was excellent.

Partially discharged Sep 28th 2009 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 7971344)
Quite. The only one I ever go into is on the highway, mid-way between Ottawa and Montreal.

Ah, the joys of Casselman...it could be worse...you could stop off at Herb's (Vankleek Hill exit)

Souvy Sep 28th 2009 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 7971374)
Ah, the joys of Casselman...it could be worse...you could stop off at Herb's (Vankleek Hill exit)

My bladder holds better than that. The one I use for a wazz is in Rigaud (home of the unfeasibly large office block in the middle of nowhere).

Partially discharged Sep 28th 2009 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 7971393)
My bladder holds better than that. The one I use for a wazz is in Rigaud (home of the unfeasibly large office block in the middle of nowhere).

I think that is some sort of Canada Border Services building (it is where they train border guards and they also use the building for government training). In Hudson there is that place with a Burger King/Pizza Hut/hotel and a Tim's across the road.

Herb's is a real interesting introduction to rural eastern Ontario.

EmmaGrate Oct 2nd 2009 3:03 am

Originally Posted by twinsmom65 (Post 7970078)
Well,

I am an ex-Canadian (also ex-UK), now living in Australia.

I miss my timmies every day. Over here, they are into the cappo and flat white coffee (bloody expensive I might add).

Just wondering how long it took most of you to become addicited to Tim Hortons or maybe you don't like Tim Hortons.

I lived in Canada for almost 27 years and grabbing a Timmies on my way to work was a part of my everyday routine.

Just wondering what others thought about Tim Hortons.

Cheers

Karen

WHen I first got here I couldnt understand what all the fuss was about. Inthose days I was a Starbucks fan, but then I went to Timmies out of necessity one time, and got two extra large coffees, an apple juice and a load of yummy things and it cost in total less than one coffee at Starbucks! I couldn't beleive it!! I had to ask the woman if she'd added it up properly! LOL!
Since then I've become a firm fan of Timmies and actively seek one if I'm in the mood for coffee!
That said, I still ( much to the amazement of my Canadian counterparts) enjoy an "instant" coffee at home morning, noon and night! Its not Timmies but its coffee!! THeres no way I'm waiting until I'm showered and dressed and out the door before I get my caffeine fix! Simple as that!! :)

Auld Yin Oct 2nd 2009 5:03 am

I also like real coffee which I have yet to find in Canada

Please enlighten me. How would you describe real coffee and what brand names/beans?