Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Adaptor, Canada to UK

Adaptor, Canada to UK

Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:24 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adaptor, Canada to UK

Sorry for the silly question but I have no clue

No1 child is heading home for a month, she's taking hair straighteners, cellphone & camera which all need plugging in. Can she go to Tesco etc & buy a travel adaptor for use while she's there or will her camera battery melt?

Ta
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:35 am
Henry Bear

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adaptor, Canada to UK

Originally Posted by bananahammock View Post
Sorry for the silly question but I have no clue

No1 child is heading home for a month, she's taking hair straighteners, cellphone & camera which all need plugging in. Can she go to Tesco etc & buy a travel adaptor for use while she's there or will her camera battery melt?

Ta
I think she'd be better off getting an adapter here as it would be the right way round.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:15 am
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff View Post
I think she'd be better off getting an adapter here as it would be the right way round.
OK, my blonde brain isn't taking this in too well (probably caused by the stress of both my babies being away from home, which means I'm gonna have to talk to the OH ) if she's going to France & Italy as well won't she be able to buy a universal adaptor in England?

Forgot to mention she's leaving tomorrow & decided to ask me today!!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

You need to buy the universal adaptor here - if you buy it in the uk it will be backwards
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

when I was in Sainsburys in April they had all different sorts for every direction and every type of plug. I got one to adapt a canadian plug.
They were on a separate display thingy in the pharmacy bit.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 1:36 am
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd check the hair straighteners, 220v through an element used to 110v could prove a little too exciting...
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:03 am
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by nldfc View Post
You need to buy the universal adaptor here - if you buy it in the uk it will be backwards
As am I

Originally Posted by tallperson View Post
when I was in Sainsburys in April they had all different sorts for every direction and every type of plug. I got one to adapt a canadian plug.
They were on a separate display thingy in the pharmacy bit.
Ta very much, will try that if I don't manage to get one in the morning

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy View Post
I'd check the hair straighteners, 220v through an element used to 110v could prove a little too exciting...
Oh Bu**er, I wonder if the camera batteries will be OK?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bananahammock View Post
Ta very much, will try that if I don't manage to get one in the morning
Try Bentley Leathers & Luggage in Woodgrove or Rutherford Malls.
Oh Bu**er, I wonder if the camera batteries will be OK?
What kind of camera batteries? Does she have a charger? The chargers I have that came with the cameras are 100 - 240Volt so would be OK. If the camera takes AA rechargeable batteries then if no charger available she could always use regular alkaline AA batteries.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Camera and cellphone probably won't be a problem, a universal adapter will work, however the hair straightener will melt if she plugs it in in Europe.

The camera might be a problem depends on the input it uses currently, read the label on the current AC adapter it has, usually will say something like 100-250V, if it does it is okay, just need a plug adapter.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:31 am
Bristolish expat

Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
Camera and cellphone probably won't be a problem, a universal adapter will work, however the hair straightener will melt if she plugs it in in Europe.

The camera might be a problem depends on the input it uses currently, read the label on the current AC adapter it has, usually will say something like 100-250V, if it does it is okay, just need a plug adapter.
Thanks guys ... she's all ready to go, camera battery says 110v ~ 240v on the back, straighteners are staying with me so at least I don't have to look like Mad Mary for a month & universal adaptor borrowed from a mate ... now all she has to do is get to Vancouver on game day
Old Jun 15th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

I having just returned to the UK from Canada, have gone to Argos and purchased a bucket load of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...EL+ADAPTOR.htm

Work a treat.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:10 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Although they're ideal as a socket "conversion" I'd just note a word of warning to anyone buying them to ensure that anything you plug into it should be rated 100-240v and 50/60Hz (as the socket does not convert AC voltage or frequency).

Originally Posted by ducktastic View Post
I having just returned to the UK from Canada, have gone to Argos and purchased a bucket load of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...EL+ADAPTOR.htm

Work a treat.