Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Old Nov 27th 2015, 4:20 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 out of 10 jobs will require post secondary education?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I thought you were taller.
They do allow some taller players. How could one turn down playing in that colour?

Old Nov 27th 2015, 4:22 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's a reflection on the people that you mingle with, I don't want to make an issue about you, as it's not fair because I don't know you, but it indicates that u mix with more successful people which may have helped or pointed you in the right direction. Just saying :@)
Owing a horse means shit (no pun intended), if you're implying it equates to some kind of social stature. Taking care of a previously abandoned, free, malnourished ex-hunter isn't a gateway to success. Renting a bit of rural field space doesnt offer much in the way of understanding how an equestrian business runs either. Just saying
Old Nov 27th 2015, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
You're not wrong AC, but every time you "set things straight" it reminds me of this scene...
I am not attempting to set anything straight.

If the OP believes that typing lengthy posts on an internet forum will enable him to achieve whatever it is that he wishes to achieve I am happy for him to give it a go.

I merely had the temerity to suggest that, if he took the advice that people offered to him, rather than finding immediate reasons to reject it, he may derive some benefit from it.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 4:41 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote amended to make something more general
Originally Posted by magnumpi
...people that you mingle with...it indicates...mix with more successful people which may have helped....
Rather like Jeffrey Archer when he pulled himself up by his bootstraps with the financial support - the odd hundred grand or so - of some very wealthy friends.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 4:55 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You're not wrong AC, but every time you "set things straight" it reminds me of this scene...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0QJOLbl2E
That's such a great quote because it applies to many of us on the internet.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 7:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Excuses, excuses and more excuses. Just have a look at the posts you have made in the last 2 pages.

RICH has taken the time to offer you great advice in this thread and what have you done with it?

Do whatever you wish to do but don't be surprised if, in 5 years from now, you are still complaining about the same things you complain about now, except that you will be 5 years older. Complaining will not solve the issues you face.
I spent about 12 hours last researching dog walking in this area, insurance, training options, spent time looking at the competition to see what they charge and offer as well as checking to see what business cards would cost to have made up along with seeing what is offered in Whistler and prices and services and such.

I also made a little free website using wix.

Ignorance leads to stigma and instead of being part of the problem, open you eyes and accept mental illness is a disease that does limit ones abilities just like any other chronic long term disease does.

One wouldn't expect a person with a faulty heart to do well without appropriate treatment, and mental illness is no different, without appropriate treatment the person with said illness will always struggle, there is a reason we have professionals in these medical fields, it's just unfortunate we don't have a medical system that treats mental illness equally.

Some people need more direction then others, some can succeed completely on their own, others can't and need direction and assistance from others, we all have limits in our abilities, some have higher limits then others.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 27th 2015 at 8:59 am.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's a load of bollocks. Its clear that you had the cultural capital and education to be able to navigate the small business world successfully. JSmith clearly doesn't. And after seeing the sorry state of vast swathes of American public education, especially in less affluent districts, its hardly surprising.
This. I have no idea how to start, operate, own, market a business. I am trying to research what I can online, but I'll say it's mind boggling confusing and I can see why many of the existing companies are using marketing companies and likely why those are the big companies in town offering service. (The bottom of the website has a name of a marketing company local to the area.)

I did go to community college first fall and spring out of high school, but I was so out of my league, I couldn't form a college level essay, and I did on the advice of several instructors drop before grades were final so I didn't have them on my transcript.

Now I did do well in the EMT program, but it's taught the way I learn, by being shown how to do something, then having ample time to practice it, I learn by repetition and doing things over and over.

Academics which require memorization of facts and figures and don't provide hands on learning I have never done well, and likely never will.

I would also not say overall that my educational level is actually at the level of grade 12 since I did not actually pass or master the material in the majority of subjects. On the college assessments which only test English, Reading comprehension and Math, I just make the mark for grade 12 for English, my reading comprehension is at an adult level, but my math is so low they can't even accurately place me into a math class as they don't offer one low enough and that is a big reason I do not do well in math because I don't have the basic necessary education in math, I can do adding, subtracting fine, but do need paper if its not super basic, multiplication is the same, can do basic in my head and can figure out any multiplication on paper, division I need paper for but can figure it out with time.

Fractions, decimals are more difficult and very limited knowledge. Algebra of any sort is a foreign language with no clue where to even start. Never took geometry so likely the same with no idea how to do it.

Didn't help I was given a bunch of BS classes where you didn't learn anything like picking up attendance sheets and delivering memos to teachers, basically free labor so the school didn't have to hire admin workers, but I had 50% of my grade 11 year in those types of classes.

If not schooled in the US it's likely difficult to understand how badly the US educational system can be.

From what I gathered from my wife and what her transcripts show, and what people here say, it appears both BC and UK have far superior educational systems in place then California did in my time. (No idea how it is there now, seems to have improved based on the experience my sister has with her kids, her son has been in special education since 1st grade and now is in 11th, and does okay, her daughter is an absolute math wiz, she was showing me how to do math, 5th grade and her math skills are far better then mine, but it's seems the state may have learned from the disaster the 80's and 90's were for public education.)

Now they are also teaching more useful skills for students who are not university bound or don't want to go to university. My nephew while in special education goes to community college for 3 days of his high school to learn plumbing (they can also choose electrical, and a variety of other trades.) he gets both community college credit and high school credit, and at graduation will be employable in that field.

Seems someone in the system there finally got a clue, better to teach a useful skill to those who need it, then having them graduate with no employable skills at all.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 27th 2015 at 8:41 am.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 9:52 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Ignorance leads to stigma and instead of being part of the problem, open you eyes and accept mental illness is a disease that does limit ones abilities just like any other chronic long term disease does.

One wouldn't expect a person with a faulty heart to do well without appropriate treatment, and mental illness is no different, without appropriate treatment the person with said illness will always struggle, there is a reason we have professionals in these medical fields, it's just unfortunate we don't have a medical system that treats mental illness equally.

Some people need more direction then others, some can succeed completely on their own, others can't and need direction and assistance from others, we all have limits in our abilities, some have higher limits then others.
Most of us understand the effects of mental disorders - we either have the T-shirts ourselves, or have friends / family members who are affected. You have a diagnosis, but BPD is not necessarily a life long diagnosis. You also know what the treatment involves - have you used any of the free online help available? There are groups out there that provide online services since this seems to be where you feel most comfortable.

A person with heart disease or lung disease that knows they have this problem and continues with destructive behaviours will not illicit much support. A disability label does not mean the world has to help you - it means you need to work harder at helping yourself.

I can see that you have spent some time on looking at dog walking, if you are not happy being your own boss then it may be a no go - not everyone can do it although most people can do something to some extent as long as they just get up and do it. But I have to ask why you gave up your last job? If it was so you could get help with your problems then use the time you now have to do that - if BC will not fund DBT then maybe now is the time to move or find online help, or use whatever help is available even if it is not the best solution but may alleviate some symptons.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:12 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
...maybe now is the time to move...
There's no reason for you to know this but Js has already documented the massive difficulties involved in moving somewhere else. Rent being more than income, that sort of thing.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:16 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There's no reason for you to know this but Js has already documented the massive difficulties involved in moving somewhere else. Rent being more than income, that sort of thing.
Fair enough - thanks BristolUK
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Most of us understand the effects of mental disorders - we either have the T-shirts ourselves, or have friends / family members who are affected. You have a diagnosis, but BPD is not necessarily a life long diagnosis. You also know what the treatment involves - have you used any of the free online help available? There are groups out there that provide online services since this seems to be where you feel most comfortable.

A person with heart disease or lung disease that knows they have this problem and continues with destructive behaviours will not illicit much support. A disability label does not mean the world has to help you - it means you need to work harder at helping yourself.

I can see that you have spent some time on looking at dog walking, if you are not happy being your own boss then it may be a no go - not everyone can do it although most people can do something to some extent as long as they just get up and do it. But I have to ask why you gave up your last job? If it was so you could get help with your problems then use the time you now have to do that - if BC will not fund DBT then maybe now is the time to move or find online help, or use whatever help is available even if it is not the best solution but may alleviate some symptons.
When on disability in Canada you lose a lot of mobility since every province has different rules and procedures. Leave BC, everything stops as soon as you move, unless your going for something like post secondary, and plan to return to BC.

I read self help things all the time, research it almost daily, I just don't fully understand it all in how to implement it, and it's more of the talk therapy I need more then anything to work through issues, and have some direction which the self help material doesn't provide.

I just BC would get with the times and provide what is needed and stop the one size fits all mental health model relying on medication which isn't effective for this issue.

I am on the wait list for a group program on assertiveness at mental health, I think its a 12 hour group over 6 weeks meeting 2 hours per week.

I am not alone in the lack of treatment though, it's basically the same coast to coast with a couple exceptions such as in Whitby, ON where there is a publicly funded adult program, lasts 12 months, both group and individual.

But you have to live in that region of Ontario, and the wait list is several years in length, but not an option anyhow, we have to remain in BC for a variety of reasons such as my wife's job and her illness.

The way the medical system handles it now has cost more then the treatment in Vancouver would have cost, but nope this is the way it is even though it actually costs more in the long run.

I left my last job because it was a bad work environment and I had a mental breakdown from the stress created by the environment.

The job before that I liked, it was in Whistler however and well I can't drive in the dark anymore, and the shift required a commute home in the dark. Otherwise it was a good job, easy, low stress.

I also liked my airline job which I was at 5 years and longest consecutive employment, but different times now, few airlines have jobs in Vancouver, most outsource now.

San Diego Zoo was enjoyable as well, spent 2 years there in retail. Had college been an option with a degree in zoology, herpetology, biology or another animal related degree, probably would have stayed there and tried to become an animal care person with reptiles.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 27th 2015 at 10:58 am.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:56 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

How was your mental health when you were doing the jobs you liked - at the airline and at Target (some time back, I know) ?
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:59 am

When on disability in Canada you lose a lot of mobility since every province has different rules and procedures. Leave BC, everything stops as soon as you move, unless your going for something like post secondary, and plan to return to BC.

I read self help things all the time, research it almost daily, I just don't fully understand it all in how to implement it, and it's more of the talk therapy I need more then anything to work through issues, and have some direction which the self help material doesn't provide.

I just BC would get with the times and provide what is needed and stop the one size fits all mental health model relying on medication which isn't effective for this issue.

I am on the wait list for a group program on assertiveness at mental health, I think its a 12 hour group over 6 weeks meeting 2 hours per week.

I am not alone in the lack of treatment though, it's basically the same coast to coast with a couple exceptions such as in Whitby, ON where there is a publicly funded adult program, lasts 12 months, both group and individual.

But you have to live in that region of Ontario, and the wait list is several years in length, but not an option anyhow, we have to remain in BC for a variety of reasons such as my wife's job and her illness.

The way the medical system handles it now has cost more then the treatment in Vancouver would have cost, but nope this is the way it is even though it actually costs more in the long run.

I left my last job because it was a bad work environment and I had a mental breakdown from the stress created by the environment.

The job before that I liked, it was in Whistler however and well I can't drive in the dark anymore, and the shift required a commute home in the dark. Otherwise it was a good job, easy, low stress.
Not sure how taking a set of numbers and plugging them into excel is a stressful environment - but will take you word on that.

How about for the next 100 days write one thing that makes you smile and one thing you are thankful for.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 11:11 am
Account Closed

How was your mental health when you were doing the jobs you liked - at the airline and at Target (some time back, I know) ?
Not as bad. Life was though more stable, less stressful, and my wage was low but things were lower cost and I could still afford to do the things I enjoyed which helped immensely and the jobs kept me busy, The Airline I actually enjoyed and compared to home at the time, I'd lived at the airport, and flew off to some other city on my day off. I quite liked working around airplanes, job was a good work out but not constant physical activity so could take a breather in between flights to rest and recover.

I have no idea if I could do the job now, haven't done it in a decade or more, and I didn't have all the joint pain I have now.

Target was nothing special, I worked in the back alone so that helped as jobs dealing with customers are difficult and stressful for me.

Not sure how taking a set of numbers and plugging them into excel is a stressful environment - but will take you word on that.

How about for the next 100 days write one thing that makes you smile and one thing you are thankful for.

The task wasn't stressful, the environment was. The owner invested nothing into the place, constant problems that were never fixed, guests always upset, equipment that didn't work which resulted in guests not being able to access their rooms, poor housekeeping so guests always upset the room wasn't very clean, a/c that didn't work in the summer so people upset it was 30-34C and we had no a/c.

The task was easy, it was the work environment that was the issue.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 27th 2015 at 11:15 am.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 11:14 am

So for today, what was one thing that made you smile and one thing you can be thankful for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.